DA Fitz says investigation will take several weeks | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DA Fitz says investigation will take several weeks

I would assume to see if there is abuse of other victims since then that would be within the SOL. And why is there an SOL for things like child rape, by the way?

There no longer is a SOL in NY for first degree criminal sexual abuse of a child. Most everything we are talking about would be a first degree offense.

The SOL that applies to Fine is an old SOL.

Everyone should be happy that this investigation leaves no stone unturned. Only then will Bernie have some semblance of his life back. Also, it is the only thing that will help clear the air for Syracuse Univ. and the basketball program.

+1

Um, did anyone expect this to wrap up in a couple of days? Really? This investigation is delving into these most recent claims, but I'm sure they are doing due diligence in regards to anyone who may have been abused by Fine more recently, where the statute of limitations would not come into play.

This is only the beginning folks, anyone that thought this would be over quickly is deluding themselves.

I took the comment as the investigation will take much less time than most people would have expected. Normally, these items take months if not years to investigate. If this is going to take just weeks then I would expect there to be either a lack of corroborating/new evidence or a piece of damning evidence that will wrap this up pretty quickly.

yes. if the a crime takes place before a law is changed, the old law applies. For instance, if they changed the double jeopardy law, you couldn't charge everyone who was ever acquitted of a crime.

I personally don't think there should be a SOL for child abuse, but since there is, I don't see how they can investigate him. As to if there are others, then others would have to come forward. Otherwise, they could investigate every couple of years just to make sure there aren't others. Investigating a cover up from years ago? Sure. Investigate why the DA wasn't notified (if he wasn't). Sure. Don't get why Bernie himself is being investigated.

"Friday, Fitzpatrick said he planned a full investigation into the accusations against Fine as well as into what was done when Davis previously reported his allegations to the Syracuse Police Department in 2002 and to SU in 2005.
The DA expressed concern Friday that his office had not been notified about either time David had come forward previously with his allegations."

It looks to me that the main goal is to ensure that things were done properly during the prior investigation - especially the decision not to involve the DA. Here are a fewof the possible outcomes here:
a) Nothing was found in the prior investigations and it wasn't worth involving the DA
b) Nothing was found in the prior investigations but they should've still involved the DA
c) Although nothing worth was found in the prior investigations, they overlooked these details...
d) Information was covered up in the prior investigations.

The first two outcomes don't require a new investigation, but don't produce much beyond the DA shaking a finger at whoever is left at the SPD. The last two generate headlines, people lose jobs and maybe go to jail. But to get there, you can't rely on what was done previously, so you have to investigate Bernie all over again.

A more interesting thing to see would be how ESPN expects to keep this story alive for several weeks. I mean they are already airing interviews with friends of the accusers saying Bernie "just looks guilty" and "there are some dark secrets there, I can sense it".

Where else could they go from here?

EDIT: Well I guess a frontpage picture on ESPN.com of SU bench with an empty chair after every game is in order.