DA Fitz says investigation will take several weeks | Syracusefan.com

DA Fitz says investigation will take several weeks

Great, more fodder for ESPN. I know we all knew it would take awhile so this is nothing new, but I was still hoping it could be put to rest quickly.

no surprise

they will re-interview everyone and compare statements

Hoping that this is a result of lack of evidence and lack of credibility/others coming forward.

This is good news. I expected months, not weeks. If this is wrapped up by New Year's all the better.

I've yet to figure out why there is any investigation if the SOL has expired.

I would assume to see if there is abuse of other victims since then that would be within the SOL. And why is there an SOL for things like child rape, by the way?

could possibly be so that they can re-interview and find disparities in statements, then possibly prosecute for something?

I would assume to see if there is abuse of other victims since then that would be within the SOL. And why is there an SOL for things like child rape, by the way?

I personally don't think there should be a SOL for child abuse, but since there is, I don't see how they can investigate him. As to if there are others, then others would have to come forward. Otherwise, they could investigate every couple of years just to make sure there aren't others. Investigating a cover up from years ago? Sure. Investigate why the DA wasn't notified (if he wasn't). Sure. Don't get why Bernie himself is being investigated.

Not sure either, though an excuse could be to explore if there are other cases within the SOL. If Fine is innocent, an official investigation (which I HOPE will include interviews with ESPN employees and associated phone records) would likely be a good thing and allow Fine to return if he chooses ... and JB to blast away if He chooses. And JB will.

If evidence turns up that supports the accusers then that also is a good thing in its own right.

After PSU they pretty much have to investigate IMO. But it is unsettling that they are investigation something that they supposedly cannot charge anyone with.

As someone stated above, they have to be investigating to see if there are more recent incidents.

I don't see how this could be a few more weeks. Months is more likely.

Um, did anyone expect this to wrap up in a couple of days? Really? This investigation is delving into these most recent claims, but I'm sure they are doing due diligence in regards to anyone who may have been abused by Fine more recently, where the statute of limitations would not come into play.

This is only the beginning folks, anyone that thought this would be over quickly is deluding themselves.

As someone stated above, they have to be investigating to see if there are more recent incidents.

I don't see how this could be a few more weeks. Months is more likely.

I think All4 is spot on here

Here is why (an I am sensitive to the psychological and societal issues with minors). How do you defend yourself from something that happened 10, 15, 20, 30 years ag. How can you remeber an alibi or witness from 1987. How do you know what time you were in your hotel room during the final four. Did your wife go shopping with the kids and leave you alone, or did you watch the kids for a couple of hours. When he says it happened at 3:00 PM, how can you prove you were watching film with the other coaches? Now multiply that by "1,000's of times" for years.

That is why there is a statute of limitations, on all things but murder.

They certainly want to know if there are any more recent Bobby Davis'. They are most likely also investigating the 2002/2003/2005 investigations, at least to the best of their abilities. Confidentiality of sources may well prevent them from learning all the details they'd like to unearth regarding ESPN's and the Post-Standard's investigations, but they'll certainly be all over the SPD and SU.

As an aside, I would like to see ESPN report on its own 2003 investigation the way the P-S did this morning. Not holding my breath, however.

The DA has his own reputation to protect, he is well thought of throughout the country and won't want to be accused of not doing a thorough job. He also said he would get to the bottom of this. I wouldn't be suprised if Bernie doesn't coach the rest of this season. I think the DA will convene a Grand Jury for a report, even if no new people come forth, just to get everyone under oath to avoid any future accusations.

One thing that I was pleased to see in the linked article was that SU turned over the results of its 2005 investigation to the prosecutor's office.

Glad to see that--semi-debunks the complaint that they did this entirely internally, and never notified law enforcement.

One thing that I was pleased to see in the linked article was that SU turned over the results of its 2005 investigation to the prosecutor's office.

Glad to see that--semi-debunks the complaint that they did this entirely internally, and never notified law enforcement.
they did it almost immediately .. as in first thing next morning - that has to show confidence in their report

Why? Is there a more recent accuser? So in 5 years, if Davis goes to someone again, it can be investigated again for more recent incidents? This can be perpetual. That's why I can't see how/why they can investigate Bernie again based only on Davis's complaint or even Lang since he claims it happened prior to Davis.

The DA has his own reputation to protect, he is well thought of throughout the country and won't want to be accused of not doing a thorough job. He also said he would get to the bottom of this. I wouldn't be suprised if Bernie doesn't coach the rest of this season. I think the DA will convene a Grand Jury for a report, even if no new people come forth, just to get everyone under oath to avoid any future accusations.

Does he have a solid reputation. That's good to know. I wasn't sure of that based on some characterizations I've seen of him on the internet (as a drinker and political hack). Wherever the truth leads, it is best that the one tracking it down have a sterling reputation (see Penn State).

They have to investigate to determine whether the SOL actually expired.

If there was coercion, intimidation, etc, on the part of Fine or others, that prevented the accusers from coming forward, then the SOL would be tolled. Oftentimes, the determination of whether the SOL expired is more appropriate for the DA than the police, although police do make this determination themselves rather often.

Because it is a severe handicap to have to defend a 30-year old claim, when memories have faded, witnesses have died, and evidence might have been destroyed in the ordinary course of business.

Everyone should be happy that this investigation leaves no stone unturned. Only then will Bernie have some semblance of his life back. Also, it is the only thing that will help clear the air for Syracuse Univ. and the basketball program.