Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't understand are we 100% sure that Alford didn't do something worthy of being dismissed? I honestly am just asking. Maybe he wasn't towing the line and Fran used the rather strong language to send a message to the 90 other kids that he coaches and Alford is doing damage control via social media. Maybe that's why Fran used the word dismissed to send the message whether Alford likes it or not.

There was a post in here somewhere that he may have not been living up to his end of the bargain.

I guess I don't understand are we 100% sure that Alford didn't do something worthy of being dismissed? I honestly am just asking. Maybe he wasn't towing the line and Fran used the rather strong language to send a message to the 90 other kids that he coaches and Alford is doing damage control via social media. Maybe that's why Fran used the word dismissed to send the message whether Alford likes it or not.

There was a post in here somewhere that he may have not been living up to his end of the bargain.
I would 100% be in favor of him no longer being on the team if that was the case. What I wouldn't be in favor of is using the word dismissed to a kid that played here for years and as far as we know, never caused any problem. Never got in any trouble. Just call it a mutual decision. The kids on the team would know the truth. And the kid wouldn't be tarred with the dismissed tag. This wasn't a Benny Williams situation where the kid couldn't stop having issues. Just show him the door in your example and move on.

After reading what info is available on this, it sounds like Damien told Coach Brown he was planning on going in the portal and Coach took it personally.

I can understand why Coach would feel that way. Agree with dash he didn't handle it as well as he should have, and did some damage control to try and minimize any damage done.

This is Coach's first time doing a lot of things in the limelight. He is going to make missteps. Glad he saw he made a mistake and tried to make amends right away.

I liked watching Damien play. So talented. Seemed like he was at his best when he was asked to make the toughest catches. And at his worst when asked to make routine plays. Disappointed it didn't work out here.

I hope he finds a good program to finish out his career.

This is a very bad take. To say the coach made a mistake is hating on the program? To think that he doesn't sit at the right hand of the father is a knock on him? The kid as you said is leaving the program. Just let him go. We picked up the ship when he said he was leaving. The word dismissed is a strong word. Kids get dismissed for usually doing something wrong. What games was Alford looking to play when he told the coach he wanted to leave? And how is it being a hater when you love the program, give money to the program, but can see when something is done wrong?

Dismissed is the proper term for what occured

It’s not “strong”

Anyone that Coach Fran Brown says sorry there isn’t a spot on this new team for you is referred to as “dismissed”

Generally the student athlete just enters their name into the portal and we hear nothing of “dismissed”

It sounds like Alford decided to tell coach he no longer wanted to be apart of the program. The problem is, the portal is closed for now.

So instead of wasting the schollie and practice and effort on getting Alford better he was “dismissed”

Kids are dismissed from school every afternoon.

Dismissal simply just means the act of asking or allowing someone to leave.

Alford was dismissed.

Seems like Alford has never really been all-in considering that's two consecutive seasons of wanting to transfer. Probably should have done it after the Pinstripe Bowl. Either way, hope he finds a solid landing spot and has a great 2024 Season.

If you give your boss "two weeks notice", and the boss tells you to leave immediately, were you "dismissed"?

"Dismissed" implies that you broke a company rule and sends up a red flag to potential employers.

"Accepted your resignation immediately" sounds like a better response.

Boy do people like creating drama around here. Worse than a bunch of elementary school moms.

Kid is no longer with the team end of story.

IF he said he was transferring or missed any kind of team function - unexcused - then his dismissal is good and I like the way it was handled. Change the culture.

His departure won’t be noticed.

So instead of wasting the schollie and practice and effort on getting Alford better he was “dismissed”

Kids are dismissed from school every afternoon.

Dismissal simply just means the act of asking or allowing someone to leave.

Alford was dismissed.
It also opens up more space in facilities. One less guy in the lunch line or weight room.
No reason to draw it out.

Boy do people like creating drama around here. Worse than a bunch of elementary school moms.

Kid is no longer with the team end of story.

IF he said he was transferring or missed any kind of team function - unexcused - then his dismissal is good and I like the way it was handled. Change the culture.

His departure won’t be noticed.

A bit crazy around here for sure

Feels like people are trying to find holes in Coach Fran’s armor

Kinda sad really

Just embrace the fact that we have a guy running a big boy football program.

Sounds like there is a leak within the program, how did Thamel know this?
If there's a leak we don't have any in-tact urinals to catch 'em.

I don’t understand why anyone up on the hill leaks anything to Thamel. In fact if they did and it was a staffer I’d be in favor of canning their a$$. I can’t stand that guy.

Kinda sad really

Agreed! Something that has stuck with me is Villari making the comments about a few small things that the elite programs do in regards to discipline etc.

We want to be a “Big Boy” program, well the big boys treat it like a business, and I’m sure Brown is doing just that.

Nothing against Alford, but HCFB has a program to run.
Personally I was never a fan, I got tired of hearing all about the physical tools, and not really seeing those tools get results.
I wish him well.

Kinda sad really

Yes. And don't question any decision. If you do question, you are a hater. Your words. I am putting you on ignore because you can't see that others, that love this program and this school, that give money to the program, have a different view than you do about this. Really pathetic.

I don’t understand why anyone up on the hill leaks anything to Thamel. In fact if they did and it was a staffer I’d be in favor of canning their a$$. I can’t stand that guy.
I think Thamel has better connections than you're giving him credit for. Could have come from Wildhack or Fran themselves or their agent (not sure if John has one, but Fran does). Pete isn't talking to some random recruiting staffer or strength coach. He's checking in constantly with people truly in the know.

I also don't see this as a huge issue. Damien acknowledges some sort of conversation that ended with him not being part of the program next season. Worst case scenario is he was going to leave but there was a miscommunication on how/timing. Best case scenario is that we're nitpicking the word dismissed vs. any other synonym that ultimately gives the same result: Damien was not going to play here next season.

Emily has a story that I think is in this thread. She called the football office and it was confirmed to her by them that Alford was dismissed from the team. Do you think someone in the football office just said that?
I think she called and said is he dismissed and they confirmed he is no longer with the program.

I think Thamel has better connections than you're giving him credit for. Could have come from Wildhack or Fran themselves or their agent (not sure if John has one, but Fran does). Pete isn't talking to some random recruiting staffer or strength coach. He's checking in constantly with people truly in the know.

I also don't see this as a huge issue. Damien acknowledges some sort of conversation that ended with him not being part of the program next season. Worst case scenario is he was going to leave but there was a miscommunication on how/timing. Best case scenario is that we're nitpicking the word dismissed vs. any other synonym that ultimately gives the same result: Damien was not going to play here next season.
I know he has connects. I also know he’s gone out of his way to be critical of anything out of the AD since he was a student so why anyone up there talks to him makes zero sense to me.

Sounds like it could be a matter of semantics to me.
Exactly. Dismissed can have varying definitions. “Ordered or allowed to leave”.

Benny Williams was dismissed from the team.
Damien Alford was dismissed from the team.

Reading the tea leaves is sounds like Williams was ordered to leave the basketball team, while Alford was allowed to leave the football team. Both were “dismissed”.

I think she called and said is he dismissed and they confirmed he is no longer with the program.
No. I don't believe that is accurate. She called and asked if he was dismissed because of Alford's tweets. And was told that he was.

I know he has connects. I also know he’s gone out of his way to be critical of anything out of the AD since he was a student so why anyone up there talks to him makes zero sense to me.
In fairness to Thamel, there has been a lot to be critical of. Nothing that hasn't been said on these boards. Now, it seems that we are on a bit of a run. The woman's hoop hire couldn't be better. Lax looks okay. The football hire so far is a home run. If he continues to be negative, we might have an issue.

Agreed! Something that has stuck with me is Villari making the comments about a few small things that the elite programs do in regards to discipline etc.

We want to be a “Big Boy” program, well the big boys treat it like a business, and I’m sure Brown is doing just that.

Nothing against Alford, but HCFB has a program to run.
Personally I was never a fan, I got tired of hearing all about the physical tools, and not really seeing those tools get results.
I wish him well.
at this point they're employees/professionals. I'm fine with whatever semantic is over by Bown to fire/dismiss/terminate a player from the team.

IF this was 1998 i'd have a different opinion of the student/amateur/athlete. It's a business now guys. Fran is teaching these guys that playtime is over. If you want to leave, you're leaving on our terms not yours.

Everything is
I’m just not sure how this looks bad on Coach?

Some of you out there are looking to seize the tiniest things to sink the Syracuse athletic program. You may need to reevaluate if you’re a fan or a hater.

We are TIGHT TIGHT on schollies right now and Coach Fran is trying to do what he can to turn the roster over but also not burn any of the kids that WERE on this team.

Alford came to him and said he was likely transferring.

Coach Fran Brown has the opportunity, as a new head coach, to hold up the universities end of the scholarship but remove someone from the team and open up a scholarship.

If Alford, who has been meh at best, wasn’t sure he wanted to be around, I would have done the same thing if in Coach Browns shoes. Removed him from the program and let him finish his degree at Syracuse. One less problem to worry about.

Alford clearly wanted to play games and Coach Fran isn’t about that.
Agree, if Coach told him, as repeated, that he wanted him to reconsider his transferring and Alford didn’t react to his request to reconsider, I could understand Coach Brown’s reasoning to move on. Alford must have told him at that time for a reason. We don’t even know if the situation also involved missing community commitments and/or workouts. Must have been a difficult situation particularly him being a team captain that a decision had to be made to move forward. Lots of speculation but none of us really know the entire story to judge. Good luck to Alford and of course the best for SU football!

Yes. And don't question any decision. If you do question, you are a hater. Your words. I am putting you on ignore because you can't see that others, that love this program and this school, that give money to the program, have a different view than you do about this. Really pathetic.

Cant Hear You Game Show GIF by ABC Network

It’s not my fault you don’t understand the definition of “dismissal”

Just saying

Exactly. Dismissed can have varying definitions. “Ordered or allowed to leave”.

Benny Williams was dismissed from the team.
Damien Alford was dismissed from the team.

Reading the tea leaves is sounds like Williams was ordered to leave the basketball team, while Alford was allowed to leave the football team. Both were “dismissed”.

Exactly.

If Alford was “dismissed” a la Benny Williams style, he wouldn’t be finishing up this semester at Cuse and that speaks volumes

Big differences in these two dismissals

Both were dismissals none the less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online