Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how this turned into nine pages.
Damien is going to go to a different school and will contribute for another team.
The coaching staff has moved on and is focused on other players.

This isn't the Cuban Missile Crisis.

at this point they're employees/professionals. I'm fine with whatever semantic is over by Bown to fire/dismiss/terminate a player from the team.

IF this was 1998 i'd have a different opinion of the student/amateur/athlete. It's a business now guys. Fran is teaching these guys that playtime is over. If you want to leave, you're leaving on our terms not yours.
But guys can leave on their own terms and the University shouldn't spin it to look like they made the call if they didn't. I think this whole issue is nothing, but whoever from the school said "dismissed" if in fact he said he was leaving, made a mistake.

In fairness to Thamel, there has been a lot to be critical of. Nothing that hasn't been said on these boards. Now, it seems that we are on a bit of a run. The woman's hoop hire couldn't be better. Lax looks okay. The football hire so far is a home run. If he continues to be negative, we might have an issue.
I agree, but he went out of his way to hammer our AD during the most recent probation, but not a peep about any other scandals at recent schools. He’s on the same level as Pat Forde to me.

A bit crazy around here for sure

Feels like people are trying to find holes in Coach Fran’s armor

Kinda sad really

Just embrace the fact that we have a guy running a big boy football program.

I'm hearing there's a lot going on outside of the public eye (as it should be), but trust me, Coach Fran does appear to have some chinks in his armour. This is not the thread to share my concerns, but where is Tori Brown?

At the same time, it's very sad to see how quick people are to assume Alford did something wrong and this was a disciplinary move and Coach Fran was somehow laying down the law. That's nonsense. While I'm sure coach Fran will have no problem laying down the law when needed, this isn't the case at all.

I've met Damien a few times and each time he has been nothing but polite and respectful. He comes across as a really nice young man. Others who are in and around the program have confirmed the same to me about Damien's character. If Damien were the type of young man who was going to skip workout or miss class, I doubt his teammates would have voted him to be a team captain last season. Although it is the nature of a fan forum it is still sad to see people who are presumably adults so quick to assume Damien was missing classes, missing workouts or somehow broke the rules established by the new sheriff in town to warrant being "dismissed" from the team. And, we can agree to disagree, the word dismissed in this context has a negative connotation.

I hope the screenshot of the tweet from Damien, which has been deleted, comes through in this post.

We have a relatively young head coach who is going to make some mistakes along the way. I'm not sure if this is one of them or not.

Go Orange

Attachments

• DA.jpeg
    DA.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 236
I'm hearing there's a lot going on outside of the public eye (as it should be), but trust me, Coach Fran does appear to have some chinks in his armour. This is not the thread to share my concerns, but where is Tori Brown?

At the same time, it's very sad to see how quick people are to assume Alford did something wrong and this was a disciplinary move and Coach Fran was somehow laying down the law. That's nonsense. While I'm sure coach Fran will have no problem laying down the law when needed, this isn't the case at all.

I've met Damien a few times and each time he has been nothing but polite and respectful. He comes across as a really nice young man. Others who are in and around the program have confirmed the same to me about Damien's character. If Damien were the type of young man who was going to skip workout or miss class, I doubt his teammates would have voted him to be a team captain last season. Although it is the nature of a fan forum it is still sad to see people who are presumably adults so quick to assume Damien was missing classes, missing workouts or somehow broke the rules established by the new sheriff in town to warrant being "dismissed" from the team. And, we can agree to disagree, the word dismissed in this context has a negative connotation.

I hope the screenshot of the tweet from Damien, which has been deleted, comes through in this post.

We have a relatively young head coach who is going to make some mistakes along the way. I'm not sure if this is one of them or not.

Go Orange
My thoughts exactly. But I guess you and I are haters in some peoples view. It isn't being a bad fan to suggest that Fran is going to make mistakes in his handling of things. Doesn't mean you aren't a supporter of Fran and the program. And you are I are older. The word dismissed has a meaning. It is negative.

I guess I don't understand are we 100% sure that Alford didn't do something worthy of being dismissed? I honestly am just asking. Maybe he wasn't towing the line and Fran used the rather strong language to send a message to the 90 other kids that he coaches and Alford is doing damage control via social media. Maybe that's why Fran used the word dismissed to send the message whether Alford likes it or not.

There was a post in here somewhere that he may have not been living up to his end of the bargain.
That may or may not have been how it went down.

In any case, this is just speculation.

A bit crazy around here for sure

Feels like people are trying to find holes in Coach Fran’s armor

Kinda sad really

Just embrace the fact that we have a guy running a big boy football program.

No one is perfect. Everyone has holes in their armor. Everyone has a learning curve.

And perhaps just because you haven't heard things that others have doesn't mean that you are right and they are wrong.

This is a very bad take. To say the coach made a mistake is hating on the program? To think that he doesn't sit at the right hand of the father is a knock on him? The kid as you said is leaving the program. Just let him go. We picked up the ship when he said he was leaving. The word dismissed is a strong word. Kids get dismissed for usually doing something wrong. What games was Alford looking to play when he told the coach he wanted to leave? And how is it being a hater when you love the program, give money to the program, but can see when something is done wrong?
Completely disagree, he was going to leave, informed coaches and they asked him to reconsider. He was enrolled for the spring term, what were they supposed to do? Maybe poor wording yes however do we let him go through spring ball. At this stage emphatic nooooooo. Simply state he is no longer part of the team. Then no drama. This was his choice, do we cater to the evolving, changing, whims of the player when we got wind of intensions. No, he chose this, he dismissed himself, forget the semantics

Damien is going to go to a different school and will contribute for another team.

I don't see any of it as a big deal really. neither a pro or a con for the player or HCFB. Semantics really

and I don't disagree or agree that it was handled poorly, I just don't see it as that big of a big deal. I do know that Alford was ready to transfer last year as well so I am not surprised he was thinking about it again this year and regardless if he was told to leave or not, he is doing exactly that

A new head coach will make some mistakes but this ain't it, IMO. I am sure HCFB is not perfect and has and will make mistakes, again not that big of a deal. I am still most concerned with how many football games he can win next year. He can obviously recruit, which was his rep and he has backed it up 100% so far.

Kids will come and go, not like the head coach or love the head coach, goes with the job description

Exactly.

If Alford was “dismissed” a la Benny Williams style, he wouldn’t be finishing up this semester at Cuse and that speaks volumes

Big differences in these two dismissals

Both were dismissals none the less
Which is exactly the point. Because of the "differences", different terms should have been used to describe why the players are no longer with their respective programs.

When I saw the heading "Alford dismissed" my first reaction was he violated team rules, had academic shortcomings, or, even, he had a brush with the legal system. Nothing like that has been confirmed.

With over 90 bodies on a boat that can only handle 85, it makes sense that some players need to be cut loose, and announcing that he would likely be transferring certainly made Alford a prime candidate. But, he had been a good squad member for years (see the "C" on his jersey); his departure could certainly have been handled better.

It’s February and our leading receiver last season found out on social media that he was off the team, I’m surprised it’s not more. What else is there to talk about?

No. I don't believe that is accurate. She called and asked if he was dismissed because of Alford's tweets. And was told that he was.
Reporters say things. Many things. And ask questions the way they ask questions.

If it was 25 years ago and it was Dave Rahme? Yes. I would assume that for sure. Now? Not so much.

I don't know what happened here. But if it was what Alford said, I would be disappointed in Fran for the first time. No need to annouce that the kid is dismissed if he was leaving anyway. Just let him go. What would be the point?

If the kid told the coach he intended to transfer at the end of the spring semester, and this guy is one of your captains, then I agree with Fran. You don't want that guy - a supposed leader - at practice if he's not going to be here.

Reporters say things. Many things. And ask questions the way they ask questions.

If it was 25 years ago and it was Dave Rahme? Yes. I would assume that for sure. Now? Not so much.
So, both Thamel and Emily are lying. For what purpose. Especially for Emily when she has to deal with Fran and the University going forward.

So let him go. There is no reason for the word dismissed to be used. And Pete doesn't use that word unless it was used to him. This is the first example of classless by Fran. I hope he learns from this.

If you tell the coach you're going to quit at the end of the semester, spare me the drama. You don't have to come to practice anymore. That's all it is. It's actually good management of the locker room. Why give practice reps to somebody who's leaving?? And if he doesn't want to be here, then buh-bye.

Completely disagree, he was going to leave, informed coaches and they asked him to reconsider. He was enrolled for the spring term, what were they supposed to do? Maybe poor wording yes however do we let him go through spring ball. At this stage emphatic nooooooo. Simply state he is no longer part of the team. Then no drama. This was his choice, do we cater to the evolving, changing, whims of the player when we got wind of intensions. No, he chose this, he dismissed himself, forget the semantics
The kid played here for years. He was no problem. He wasn't going to practice with the team. Nothing was gained by this.

No I am saying that he said that he dismissed Alford to someone who told Pete. Might have been Fran himself. But whoever said it to Pete, got it from Fran. Clear enough. And in my opinion, this couldn't have been handled much worse.

No, I disagree. This sends a clear message to the rest of them.
You see it in European soccer all the time; new coach comes in, takes the temperature of the locker room, and those who don't fit the new coach's vision usually get a swift exit, sometimes to make a point that no player is bigger than the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom