Dan Mullen fired by Florida / Billy Napier hired / Coach P retained | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen fired by Florida / Billy Napier hired / Coach P retained

I hope someday SU will have him back to honor him for all he accomplished here.

And I hope he will accept.

I am not extremely hopeful of either.
Why would Syracuse be apprehensive?

Why would P be apprehensive? Not like P wasn’t fired a few more times from
Jobs since.

I think nothing has happened because he’s a workaholic and hasn’t retired yet

Why would Syracuse be apprehensive?

Why would P be apprehensive? Not like P wasn’t fired a few more times from
Jobs since.

I think nothing has happened because he’s a workaholic and hasn’t retired yet
There were not good feelings on his part when he was fired.

He hasn't been back since.

There were not good feelings on his part when he was fired.

He hasn't been back since.

He was on a video talking about someone (no idea who) on the main scoreboard at the RU game. The reaction was sadly tepid.

Mullen to VT is not the most outlandish call of all-time.

I hope that Dino is our HC for the next decade, that said, if I am Wildhack, Mullen goes on my Plan N List (next!) that is always at the ready. Why? He was a grad assistant at SU in 1998 (good year), grew up in New Hampshire and has eastern football roots. As does his wife (as in, she is from the northeast). Mullen is the proverbial unicorn within the context of eastern football.

Is this a long shot? Yes, very likely so. But, his brand is tarnished right now and I do not believe he will be the HC in Gainesville next year.

In a vacuum, Mullen would do a helluva job at the Dome and he might appreciate an AD that supports him in tough times. #YaNeverKnow
Mullen's successes at Miss St and his grand failure at Florida add up to this, I think: he is one of those coaches who will do best when he is at an underdog school. What can be more of an underdog in Power Conference football than a private school in the northeast? Maybe Vanderbilt.

I would take Mullen in a second.
What he did at Miss St is amazing. Miss St is the 3rd smallest school in the SEC (Vandy and Ole Miss are smaller). It is one of two schools in a very small state, and Ole Miss has a much older and deeper football history. The SEC West is deeper and tougher than the SEC East. Against those odds, Mullen had 8 consecutive bowl teams at Miss St. At the same time that Bama and LSU and Auburn are producing an endless string of SEC West teams with a shot at the National Championship.

Mullen was happy as an assistant at Florida, but now there is some kind of disconnect. If Mullen has a sense that it may be what I think it is, then he should look for another P5 that has an underdog chip on the shoulder. Syracuse fits that bill, with a much richer football history than Miss St.

There will be several opportunities available, including Duke.

34-15 in three years at Florida. 34-15 in the SEC and it's not good enough. Two offensive players taken in the first round in the last NFL draft(Pitts, Toney). I'll take that kind of failure.

Would take him in a second. Mullen knows offensive Football. 7-3 in bowl games. He won’t have the same caliber of athletes at SU. That’s when recruiting and developing comes in. He coached at SU at one point. What he did at Miss st was impressive. He developed Prescott. We need guys that can develop. He is kinda douchey but I can deal with it if he has us consistently winning

Last edited:
Would take him in a second. Mullen knows offensive Football. 7-3 in bowl games. He won’t have the same caliber of athletes at SU. That’s when recruiting and developing comes in. He coached at SU at one point. What he did a Miss st was impressive. He developed Prescott. We need guys that can develop. He is kinda douchey but I can deal with it if he has us consistently winning
Agreed. All in on Mullen

I call BS that we couldn’t afford it. The athletic dept revenue is enormous and in the black. Football money makes the world go round and ACC money is good. If we could make some bowl games the football team would make a heck of a lot more.

This is a school that was paying a women’s lacrosse coach 300k (more than most men’s programs. Scott Marr makes about 190k at UAlbany for example). How much do you think they threw at Gait and Petro to coach a non revenue men’s lax team?

They can afford it for football, and if you want to make money you have to spend money. They’re hemorrhaging millions by not winning football game’s.

We aren’t going to get him or even have a chance because I highly doubt we even do due diligence, reach out and see if there’s any interest at all.

Great statement. I love the screw you vibe it's giving off.

Would have been funny if his last sentence said, “I wish the new staff success and hope they’re able to sustain the success I’ve accomplished with the program”.

I call BS that we couldn’t afford it. The athletic dept revenue is enormous and in the black.

Don’t know how you can say that. Because there wasn’t football or basketball fans last year for the most part because of covid, colleges lost millions and revenue was about $2B less. Many conferences including the SEC were taking out loans. Don’t know what would make SU different.

Don’t know how you can say that. Because there wasn’t football or basketball fans last year for the most part because of covid, colleges lost millions and revenue was about $2B less. Many conferences including the SEC were taking out loans. Don’t know what would make SU different.
The estimates I've seen is that DB is getting 3.5M a season, if you double that and give Dan Mullen 7 million it's a 3.5M difference.

That's nothing for the university, now I will say money likely won't sway him here, he'd either be interested or not and if he's interested JW better come strong with an offer.

If he had us going 8-4 most years he'd make them a lot more than that extra 3.5M and the exposure playing in big time games wouldn't hurt admissions or fundraising.

The estimates I've seen is that DB is getting 3.5M a season, if you double that and give Dan Mullen 7 million it's a 3.5M difference.

That's nothing for the university, now I will say money likely won't sway him here, he'd either be interested or not and if he's interested JW better come strong with an offer.

If he had us going 8-4 most years he'd make them a lot more than that extra 3.5M and the exposure playing in big time games wouldn't hurt admissions or fundraising.

I wasn’t commenting on Dino’s salary.