Dan Mullen | Page 208 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite sure he's the one who reached out from what we were told in this thread so he must have had at least some clue as to what Syracuse is about and what he was looking for.
Then he must have had an idea of what we could and would pay. Still could have changed his mind. People get cold feet sometimes.

Here come the basketball onlys to troll us. Sorry pal but football drives the bus.
While football does earn more on a gross basis, we are 43 in the nation - and dropped from 28 - while basketball is #2.
And has experienced more consistent success, albeit both programs have been terrible the past 6-8 years.

Then he must have had an idea of what we could and would pay. Still could have changed his mind. People get cold feet sometimes.

I understand he could have but if it's money then that's definitely on Syracuse.

This is disappointing, for me not so much on missing on Mullen, but that it robs enthusiasm from the person that will be the next coach. And it is highly unlikely the general public will ever know the real story.

I’m skeptical Mullen is the savior he has been held out to be, now the actual hire has to compete with the mythical tenure of Dan Mullen at Syracuse.

The next coach will need all the support we can muster.

They may regret the Babers move. The players seemed to really like him and talked about making bowl games despite injuries. Better be a home run hire, JW said its not a rebuild. Never pull the trigger unless you already have your guy and the deal is done. I saw the same thing play out when Nebraska fired Pelini without a guy in the pocket, had to go for plan C with Mike Riley, was a disaster all on the AD.

This is disappointing, for me not so much on missing on Mullen, but that it robs enthusiasm from the person that will be the next coach. And it is highly unlikely the general public will ever know the real story.

I’m skeptical Mullen is the savior he has been held out to be, now the actual hire has to compete with the mythical tenure of Dan Mullen at Syracuse.

The next coach will need all the support we can muster.

That's pretty much where I'm at guarded and very disappointed.

While football does earn more on a gross basis, we are 43 in the nation - and dropped from 28 - while basketball is #2.
And has experienced more consistent success, albeit both programs have been terrible the past 6-8 years.
By drive the bus I mean money. I will openly admit that I am a football only (but wish all SU sports well) so that is my bias and I admit it, but at the end of the day money is the driving factor.

If that's how it went down it's not on JW it's on the board. Regardless, if it turns out that that's how it went down, I'm going to try to quit getting so invested in Syracuse football.

At the end of the day if they're not willing to spend serious money on a proven coach, they're never going to have one because as soon as they hit on a cheap hire who proves he can be one, he'll get hired away by a P4 school that's willing to pay.

If we're just cashing checks until we lose our P4 seat in ~2030, why should we invest our time or money into that as fans? It's just depressing.

And if that's how they're running football, I expect basketball to end up the same way. They never paid Boeheim the market rate, but he gave them a discount because of loyalty to SU. If Autry doesn't work out, at this point I'd be surprised if they dropped top dollar on a top candidate. Maybe that's an overreaction, but that's where I'm at right now. Just depressing.

Five days of rumors and excitement and we find out via a Mullen Tweet at midnight on Sunday? Lol c'mon...
I hear you. And yes once this process is over it will likely be an inflection point for all of us.

They may regret the Babers move. The players seemed to really like him and talked about making bowl games despite injuries. Better be a home run hire, JW said its not a rebuild. Never pull the trigger unless you already have your guy and the deal is done. I saw the same thing play out when Nebraska fired Pelini without a guy in the pocket, had to go for plan C with Mike Riley, was a disaster all on the AD.

The chance that this wasn’t going to be a full rebuild just tweeted he isn’t coming here. I expect most of our players like OG - Allen etc to hit the portal. Chesney never recruited at this level he will struggle getting players to come here let alone keeping the current players Mullen was our shot at a retool but now it’s a rebuild

One thing I think is pretty definite is I (we?) won’t regret firing Babers, regardless of who the hire is or what the coach achieves.

I feel like I should get some insider credit for calling it on Coen.

Unsurprising truth, I picked that horse because he just seemed like the most random of the Thamel list.
It might sadly seem that these ‘Guys and Dolls’ handicappers would have done a better job at picking out our winning horse. It feels like we might be tearing up our ticket stubs right about now.
Still, thank you Chip for reminding me of this old Frank Sinatra & Marlin Brando movie from 1955. We could all use some Mindy’s cheese cake from this diner right about now my friends and hopefully find some solace in our own winning horse if we believe it’s not too late.

Last edited:
I really hope we hang on to our most important players for the bowl. Do they decide to wait to see what happens, or just get frustrated and hit the portal?

Everytime we get to a point as a program where it feels like we’re about to take a massive step, it all just crumbles. Whether it be on the field like Maryland in 2019 or as a program in general like right now, just always seems the gap for Syracuse football is too wide for us to make the jump. Beyond frustrating.
Not to mention the recruiting near misses

Status
Not open for further replies.