Dan Mullen | Page 210 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it this way. We know he can coach better than Dino, and better than most. If Dabo is the only ACC coach who he can't outcoach on game day, that's great news.
I don’t understand how you know this though? He hasn’t done it at this level yet. And recruiting is such a big part of the college experience and he hasn’t done that at this level either.

I'm going to Kim K ugly cry if we find out it was something crazy like Mullen wanted Orgeron on staff and we were like "nah."
I think he was on the list looking at some posts and reading the tea leaves. And with Mullen salary and the salary others would need it was too much.

You might be right. If he does that though, so many people will accuse him of not wanting to invest in the program, and in turn that could impact NIL giving, attendance etc.

If he hires Chesney (who I like), this could be a delicate situation. 12/4 is a week away. Mullen will still be very much in people’s minds.
I suppose he could say money was not a limiting factor. I don’t think he would say we couldn’t afford some coaches on the market so we settled for this guy.

I suppose he could say money was not a limiting factor. I don’t think he would say we couldn’t afford some coaches on the market so we settled for this guy.
I honestly have no clue what he will say, but I do think he is fairly transparent. He will be professional above all else but I do think he will give somewhat of an answer.

We obviously don’t know any of the details of what did or didn’t happen. However, it’s supremely disappointing from the perspective of a hire like this would have shown a true commitment to the program. Any other hire(to admittedly a small, diehard portion of the fanbase aka us) will feel like a missed opportunity. The truth is I bet most fans never knew Mullen was in consideration.

I honestly have no clue what he will say, but I do think he is fairly transparent. He will be professional above all else but I do think he will give somewhat of an answer.
Don’t get your hopes up. He won’t address any candidate that we didn’t hire just as a coach wouldn’t address a recruit that chose another school

We obviously don’t know any of the details of what did or didn’t happen. However, it’s supremely disappointing from the perspective of a hire like this would have shown a true commitment to the program. Any other hire(to admittedly a small, diehard portion of the fanbase aka us) will feel like a missed opportunity. The truth is I bet most fans never knew Mullen was in consideration.
Correct. Most fans have no clue who is in consideration.

Seems like people are jumping to a lot of conclusions to justify getting out the pitchforks.

I have no idea if/how interested Mullen was, or if/why it might have fallen through.

Bottom line is he isn’t going to be the coach here for reasons we will probably never be privy to. Part of this feels like a rumor that just got way out of hand.

I don’t understand how you know this though? He hasn’t done it at this level yet. And recruiting is such a big part of the college experience and he hasn’t done that at this level either.
What I'm saying is that recruiting is my concern with Chesney. That's the big unknown. Coaching up fundamentals doesn't change much if at all from level to level. Strategy is the same. Going up against better minds on the opposite sideline doesn't change the nature of the strategy, it means countermoves happen faster and you may get caught off guard more often.

But anyone who watches football sees highly paid coaches right on up to the NFL level calling boneheaded plays and making awful strategic decisions every week. So a good gameday coach should translate from level to level.

The recruiting is my big concern.

I mean, damn, if Dino coached his teams up to an average level on discipline and made better fourth down decisions, he'd probably have gotten another extension.

Seems like people are jumping to a lot of conclusions to justify getting out the pitchforks.

I have no idea if/how interested Mullen was, or if/why it might have fallen through.

Bottom line is he isn’t going to be the coach here for reasons we will probably never be privy to. Part of this feels like a rumor that just got way out of hand.
It's possible.

But weird stuff did happen.

That brand of gaslighting might work with the casual fans, but not on us psychos in this here thread.

I heard the guy from Miami of Ohio was way up the list. Others heard Al, the toledo coach, and many others.
What is interesting is who that Pete never mentioned Dan . Never which I find very interesting and very telling. The fact he didn't mention him always had me second guessing the validity of Dan truly being the next coach.
Two things. Pete is rarely wrong and almost never wrong when it comes to SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.