Dan Mullen | Page 231 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do give tickets away. The price we pay for the seats we have is obscenely cheap.
Not I mean we have the tickets and try to give them away and people say nah

Had the opportunity for a Ferrari and now we might get a Volvo. The problem is from a sheer looking in perspective it makes Syracuse looks like fools, regardless if we had him or not we fumbled the ball on the one yard line and lost….this hire is the most important in the history of the school and we need a name coach. If the board doesn’t understand that or we balked or for whatever reason it doesn’t matter because we are now told we never had a chance in the first place which makes zero sense. We botched whatever chance we had so now we are left to pick up the pieces. Hire Nunzio
Who won 10 games his third year. Who built up the roster and was one more win away in any of the last three years from still coaching.

This is not a reset, it’s hiring a guy to find 2 or 3 more wins a year.
The issue is a new guy brings in a new staff, system, players leave and it’s a total re-boot. This will not be taking the same group and finding 2 more wins. If you get a slam dunk hire and keep the players, add some studs you have a chance. Otherwise complete rebuild.

Fran Brown is a legendary recruiter long before he ended up at Georgia. I wouldn't be doing backflips if he was hired but you clearly don't know his background or history.
Recruiting and being HC are two different things. Almost anyone is a great recruiter at Georgia

So I’m disappointed that it’s not Mullen, but I reached out to a few people on Mullen. My #1 go to source had absolutely no info on Mullen throughout the weekend. Nada.

Some other people I trust, had heard things, but nothing really specific…or some elements that didn’t make sense. It seemed like it could have been a giant game of telephone.

Yet another person who I know has solid source thought very early on that this had no legs. So I was somewhat skeptical, but hopeful.

Maybe the school had kept this really tight? Maybe the sources people are quoting are agent or search firm related?

But I tried to warn people when KBRP212 posted his info, that I would not be so quick to dismiss his info because he’s not a prominent poster.

I’ve been moderating these boards forever, the biggest misconception is that the more you post the better your sources. You have to judge the info, not the poster.

He had more detail is his info than anyone else, but it wasn’t what people wanted to hear.

The absolute worst aspect of all of this is that somehow, the university will get blamed for dropping the ball on a negotiation that I’m not sure ever took place.

Maybe it did, maybe it didn’t, But I have absolutely no solid info to make me believe it ever occurred - not that my sources are the end all be all.

Just trying to provide some reasoned perspective.
I wish we could treat Jake and Bulldog and CTO and others with inside information on this board (I know I have forgotten many, sorry) with the respect they deserve. They DEFINITELY know more than I do on any topic they care to share about, and I appreciate and welcome hearing whatever they wish to share. I can choose to do with it what I wish. Most of the time that is to be entertained by the idea that I have just a little insight into what is going on under the covers. I recognize that there may be a lot more under the covers that I still don’t know about.

This right here^^^
If he goes to Duke or anywhere else, we can assume he decided against the SU job specifically, not that he wasn't getting back to coaching.
And then the question becomes, why?
What are we NOT doing, that's failing to attract the best and brightest players/coaches for this program? Location, weather, blah blah blah are not valid reasons, imo. Something else has to be amiss for us not to be, at the very least, on par w/ our peers.
A poster asks:
And then the question becomes, why?
What are we NOT doing, that's failing to attract the best and brightest players/coaches for this program? Location, weather, blah blah blah are not valid reasons, imo. Something else has to be amiss for us not to be, at the very least, on par w/ our peers.
____
So, if it isn't the weather, and it isn't the location...blah blah blah, and according to most on this site, it isn't money(Oh, the broken record keeps playing..), then what pray tell, is the answer?

Last edited:
Recruiting and being HC are two different things. Almost anyone is a great recruiter at Georgia

For I think about the sixth time today, the guy got his rep as a recruiter BEFORE he ever came to Georgia. I have no idea if he would out here as a HC but his ability to recruit has nothing to do with being at Georgia.

I have zero inside info. I fear the BOT let this all fall apart. There was too much smoke on ESPN ribbing DM about coaching at Syracuse, they would not have been doing that on air if they didn't think it was a done deal.

I think DM gave JW what he needed, both in support and $$$ to be successful at Syracuse. I am confident JW is serious about this and said "yep Dan, I am going to get it done".

Fast forward to this weekend. JW meets with the BOT to get sign off/ funds released/ whatever, and the BOT shut it down.

I really hope DM is not coaching at a peer school next year because that would confirm to me we (maybe the BOT) isn't serious about big time football...
JW has to have f&%k you Money so if this is true he should have left the keys on the desk. If your hands are tied like that then its not worth it.

I can definitely validate this portion of the rumor as I talked to the person who recommended Wildhack reach out to Mullen and may have also spoken directly with Mullen (not sure about that part). Said person wanted the talks to begin before we played G. Tech. Or at that game. Person has a certain amount of pull with SU football and with the BOT. I am guessing either Mullen really does not want to get back into coaching or we just can't afford him and to build the program to what it needs at the same time. In all fairness there is a line that makes it all work out, and not necessarily that the BOT does not want to spend a certain amount of money.

If we take Chesney because he was the cheaper option, that could mean more money to spend on his staff, which would be a good thing.

123-168 in football since 2000. A 0.423 winning percentage. 7th worst P5 school in that time frame.

View attachment 233933

The teams worse than SU: Colorado has Coach Prime for better or worse, lol, Illinois isn't going anywhere, Indiana had a top-15 season during covid, Vandy doesn't care, Duke doesn't really care, their basketball program brings in more money than their other programs combined, same for Kansas*. Although Duke and Kansas brought in better head coaches and were trending up.

*Kansas made the unfortunate decision in giving Charlie Weis a contract and making him a very wealthy man for being a crap coach.
I would think Nebraska would make this list, no bowl games since 2016

Appreciate your info but have to disagree with "Lotta different people on the inside." There are only few true insiders. For instance someone working in the football wing would not be an insider for who the new HC will be. They would just be passing rumors and not actual info.
Facts.

For I think about the sixth time today, the guy got his rep as a recruiter BEFORE he ever came to Georgia. I have no idea if he would out here as a HC but his ability to recruit has nothing to do with being at Georgia.
Dont disagree, am sure he is known for his recruiting. However, we are hiring an experienced HC who shoulid bring stud recruiters with him. I think recruiting at GA is a lot different than most places, great product to sell.

Dont disagree, am sure he is known for his recruiting. However, we are hiring an experienced HC who shoulid bring stud recruiters with him. I think recruiting at GA is a lot different than most places, great product to sell.

Whoever the SU coach is wants to bring good coordinators but the "stud" recruiters are with the big boys and aren't leaving. Brown isn't coming to SU to be the DC.

Don’t disagree, my point is you don‘t fire a guy without having a deal done with the successor in your back pocket. It’s Management 101 in the business world.
Ok, but this isn’t the business world and potential candidates may not want to talk until their season is over. You have a list of candidates like we did and other schools did, but then you have to see what shakes out.

Ok, but this isn’t the business world and potential candidates may not want to talk until their season is over. You have a list of candidates like we did and other schools did, but then you have to see what shakes out.
What? This is EXACTLY the business world. holy cow the entire board should be forced to watch Glen Gary Glenn Ross

Part of my issue is I don’t know many of the candidates, I get trapped in the ACC bubble (unless it’s a HC) and nabbing Mullen, to me, would’ve sent a HUGE message about the program, admin, whatever. A proven SEC coach, daaaang.

So now I gotta go back to reading what everyone thinks about these guys I don’t know very well. Part laziness part comfort in the familiar I suppose.

It’s been real everybody. Appreciate the bashing. Shared info that was shared to me from sources I have and trust. Sorry for anything exciting. Will be sticking to my chat.
I believe every word you said and it seems logical that it fell through on the 11th hour. You are a board legend in my book and broke it before ANYONE, please know that you are appreciated. I'm sorry some posters are being ridiculous towards you.

Status
Not open for further replies.