Dan Mullen | Page 233 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do in fact, I work in a world where I turn people over on occasion. I always have the plan set in advance
Seems like you're describing yourself and not what the majority of other firms/companies do In whatever industry you two are in.

My position was empty for 2 months. I was hired and had to wait a month. Oh well. I wouldn't call that bad management.

Every company is different.

they do and you call that bad management 101
I do in fact, I work in a world where I turn people over on occasion. I always have the plan set in advance
You are ignoring the fact that if Dino had gone 7-5 he may not have been fired. You can’t get anything lined up when you don’t know if you are firing your coach or not.

Seems like you're describing yourself and not what the majority of other firms/companies do In whatever industry you two are in.

My position was empty for 2 months. I was hired and had to wait a month. Oh well. I wouldn't call that bad management.

Every company is different.

For HR reasons most companies have a requirement that a position be listed for a certain amount of time. Even if you have an good idea for someone.

I can feel the tension in this thread all the way down in my plums.
9f49b240-f9aa-4d3e-b688-4f34d19b0338_text.gif

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but regardless of who the AD is it's unlikely SU is ever getting back to that level. The playing field has changed dramatically and SU simply doesn't have the financial benefactors and ability to tap into almost endless state funds that other schools do. Doesn't absolve the University from some of their actions and decisions which have been questionable but the overall dynamics and landscape and dynamics of P5 D1 football have completely changed from how they were in the late 80's to early 2000's.

Agreed but we shouldn't be a dumpster case either.

We have pundits across the mediascape saying "Syracuse is a bad job."

This didn't happen overnight and we know the reasons why it is considered a bad job... but at the end of the day, it didn't need to resolve to this. These wounds are self-inflicted and the result of more than 2 decades+ of derelict program management. We reap what we sow.

I believe every word you said and it seems logical that it fell through on the 11th hour. You are a board legend in my book and broke it before ANYONE, please know that you are appreciated. I'm sorry some posters are being ridiculous towards you.
Didn’t he also say that the impending hire kept 2 important players for entering the portal or am i just having a fever dream?

Come on. People get let go all the time without a successor being lined up. Literally all the time.
It happens but this was not a surprise firing or someone leaving us. They have had plenty of time to think on this and get things lined up in advance, plan A, B or C. I watched Nebraska make the same mistake when they fired Pelini and then settle for a poor option, cost the AD his job and years of losing. Trev Alberts hard a much better plan in place and his guy in Ruhle before they canned Frost. My guess is that hire will work out in the long run.
I understand we are not ND or GA and can not have our pick of the litter. Why do organizations do succession planning? Do you think Red was planned, or just picked after JB was out?

It happens but this was not a surprise firing or someone leaving us. They have had plenty of time to think on this and get things lined up in advance, plan A, B or C. I watched Nebraska make the same mistake when they fired Pelini and then settle for a poor option, cost the AD his job and years of losing. Trev Alberts hard a much better plan in place and his guy in Ruhle before they canned Frost. My guess is that hire will work out in the long run.
I understand we are not ND or GA and can not have our pick of the litter. Why do organizations do succession planning? Do you think Red was planned, or just picked after JB was out?
I have no doubt that JW has had potential candidates in mind for quite some time.

There’s a big difference between that and then making a hire. Candidates change their mind. Candidates drop out of the running for a myriad of reasons. Unforeseen candidates emerge due to changing circumstances.

The idea that JW should have had a new hire locked down *before* he let Babers go is silly.

Let's make this simple. Let's say that you used to go to a restaurant that once had great food and great service. Over a period of time, you notice the food quality and the level of service declines. It becomes so bad that you eventually stop going. Where do you think the problem lies?

Spoiler alert - Its the Manager - you get to connect the dots
Fair enough
But if the restaurant manager has always been Big Lou and his wife, Mabel- it'd be easy to just change management, revamp the menu, and keep it moving.
We've had multiple "managers" aka AD's, all with best of intentions, literally fumble the ball and keep serving the same depressing menu offering to their customers.
Is it more of a systemic deficiency, one that transcends individuals and titles? Is the SU bureaucracy the guilty party?
What we've witnessed over decades has been consistent ineptitude, and all under different management but always bad to mediocre.
We're not gonna close up shop, but maybe it's time to do a massive renovation & radically "change the menu" if you will, so we can get different results. Otherwise we'll all be back in a few years , singing the same sad song. JMHO

I have no doubt that JW has had potential candidates in mind for quite some time.

There’s a big difference between that and then making a hire. Candidates change their mind. Candidates drop out of the running for a myriad of reasons. Unforeseen candidates emerge due to changing circumstances.

The idea that JW should have had a new hire locked down *before* he let Babers go is silly.
and wildly unprofessional to boot.

everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face (or the salary expectations go sideways).

We're 7 days out and no head coach signing yet. I'm sure if it stretches to 8 then we're in deep trouble!

and wildly unprofessional to boot.

everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face (or the salary expectations go sideways).

We're 7 days out and no head coach signing yet. I'm sure if it stretches to 8 then we're in deep trouble!
If we don’t get this hire right then we’re doomed for all eternity!!!!

We should have had Dino’s replacement locked down in 2021!!

Didn’t he also say that the impending hire kept 2 important players for entering the portal or am i just having a fever dream?
He did, and I am very concerned that may come to fruition. I hope we can all agree that we don't want that to happen.

This, I am sure JW had a list of potential guys he was looking at but there are always variables and things that pop up as you noted whether its a new candidate, money not working out, terrible interview, one side deciding its not the right fit. Very rarely does a hire get named right away after letting go of a HC>

This, I am sure JW had a list of potential guys he was looking at but there are always variables and things that pop up as you noted whether its a new candidate, money not working out, terrible interview, one side deciding its not the right fit. Very rarely does a hire get named right away after letting go of a HC>
Just stop it, this post makes too much sense

Yep Exactly, do due diligence, get everybody on the same page, and have an announcement by the weekend and all will be well. I trust Wildhack to get it right

Status
Not open for further replies.