Dan Mullen | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I would love to better understand Mullen’s motivation for taking this job if he is indeed the new coach given that he can probably get whatever job he wants.
He has been out of college football for 2 seasons and he has to get back into the game soon. If you look at last year's college football openings, there really wasn't a fit for Mullen. Syracuse is available and I think a good coach can win at Syracuse in the ACC. It's not like the schedule is Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State,... (on his schedule his last year at Florida). He probably looked at this year's schedule and said, I could have won 7 to 8 games without completely rejuvenating the program.

If he wins at Syracuse, in 3 to 4 years, he will be a top candidate for SEC and Big 10 jobs if he wants to leave.

I think Mullen can turn Syracuse around quickly, but I think Chesney would build a program and coach at Syracuse for 10+ years. It's a tough choice.

He has been out of college football for 2 seasons and he has to get back into the game soon. If you look at last year's college football openings, there really wasn't a fit for Mullen. Syracuse is available and I think a good coach can win at Syracuse in the ACC. It's not like the schedule is Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State,... (on his schedule his last year at Florida). He probably looked at this year's schedule and said, I could have won 7 to 8 games without completely rejuvenating the program.

If he wins at Syracuse, in 3 to 4 years, he will be a top candidate for SEC and Big 10 jobs if he wants to leave.

I think Mullen can turn Syracuse around quickly, but I think Chesney would build a program and coach at Syracuse for 10+ years. It's a tough choice.
Yup. Not to mention the SEC beginning next year...who wants be at Miss State. It's going to be impossible to make bowl games even. The SEC is honestly too stacked and hurting itself. You need programs to beat up on. lol

Honestly, I don't think anyone worth much is staying here for 10+ years at this time. Dino didn't even make it 10 and he didn't do much with the program. If Chesney were to come in and revamp the program, he'd be gone to greener pastures in short order. It's a tough situation, but the first order of business should be the immediate future. If it's Mullen, great. Come in for 3 years and make the program relevant again then figure it out.

I’m always excited to share info on here and glad all the pieces are lining up. This would be monumental for the school, the program and the community

We got anything more this AM?!

This makes a lot of sense if you think about it.
1) he’s from the northeast
2) he was a GA at Cuse so he is very familiar with Cuse
3) the expectations at Cuse are nothing compared to MSU or UF so much less stress
4) the path to winning is much easier at Cuse
5) getting Cuse to a top 3 ACC team is pretty attainable
6) job stability and job security. From my understanding Mullen is a big family guy and this is a play he can settle down and not have to worry about the pressures and stresses if he is winning at least 8-9 a year
7) we have upgraded our facilities immensely in the last 5 years
8) we aren’t a total rebuild and I’m sure Mullens realizes that. We were a good coach away from winning at least 8 this year
9) we have some studs currently on the team.
OG, Wax, Allen, Villari, Barron, Bellamy, Farmer, Clark, McDonald, Jaquez, Lockett, Jobity, both Cruz’ on the o-line. He has talent to work with. Add good assistants and a couple stud transfers and a good recruiting class and we are cooking as early as his first season
10) weak schedule his first year. Mullens can hit the ground running and win 9 his first season. Mullen’s has a chance to be a LEGEND here. And I mean that. Dude is only 51. Imagine him staying here for 15 or so years and winning at least 8-9 games a year while here. FIRE ME UP
Will add ... his wife is from the Northeast.
She grew up in Pittsburgh and was educated and later employed in Ohio and Maryland, respectfully.

Last edited:
I gotta admit I haven't been following this thread because I was like whatever, Mullen's not coming back to coaching for SU of all jobs. But wow I might even buy a season ticket even though I live in Kansas and just give it to anyone who can go.

Just a few people that truly believe this is very close to done… Just texted a very very close source to the program and He’s my go to guy and he says it’s Mullen
I just don’t even know what to say. I can’t wait for this to leak out in to the casual fanbase.

Good points. I just dont think Chesney would stay married to SU when the big dogs come calling. There's just too much money out there for those schools to waste.

I gotta admit I haven't been following this thread because I was like whatever, Mullen's not coming back to coaching for SU of all jobs. But wow I might even buy a season ticket even though I live in Kansas and just give it to anyone who can go.
That ticket will be in desire. You're better off donating to the Orange United NIL, CAF or coaches fund instead. I think DM will drive a LOT of ticket interest at a perfect time.

There will be a big pickup in interest in all of those if this gets done. JW knows this will send a monumental message to the community about the school's commitment to sports. Not that I was doubting it but too many negative folks in local community who should shut up if this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.