Dan Mullen | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will add ... his wife is from the Northeast.
She grew up in Pittsburgh and was educated and later employed in Ohio and Maryland, respectfully.
More detail: ADJW is swimming in the deep end.
Mullen's agent is Jimmy Sexton, who is the Scott Boras of college football for those that are not aware. That said, please understand that Sexton is not as much of a ball-buster/leverage every nickel he can get, like Boras is. He's just the No. 1 profile guy in his sport, like Boras.
He won't let Mullen get hoodwinked by ADJW/SU/Etc., however.

I have a question about his northeast recruiting chops. Does he have any? Does anyone know? That’s my only concern at all.

I know people are going to respond and say he can recruit nationally, which isn’t realistic for SU at all. So, I’m looking for a well-informed opinion/thought on this subject because I genuinely don’t know.

He’s certainly a good coach and great hire for that reason. He can recruit, I’m not worried about that. My question is about recruiting SU’s ACC footprint. How will he fair with that? And, please, no “we’ll recruit everyone from the portal” responses. Not realistic either. We need balance.

For this reason I thought Diaz or Golden were good fits. I like Mullen but he’s got to be able to recruit New Jersey for instance. Maybe he has good roots there. Again, I don’t know. Does anyone has insight?
That is the biggest potential risk with Mullen. He really doesn't have any recruiting history in the Northeast. If you look at his recruiting at Miss. St., he was able to get local players and almost all of his 4* recruits were from Mississippi and those players aren't coming to Syracuse. In the 2024 Mississippi HS class, there are 10 4*s from Mississippi and 62 3*s vs. 0 4*s and 14 3*s from NY. In addition, there are 2 4*s and 21 3* JUCO recruits in Mississippi.

His best recruiting class at Mississippi State was probably his 2015 class ranked #18. It included 10 4*s which consisted of 6 Mississippi HS athletes, 3 Mississippi JUCO athletes, and 1 HS athlete from Alabama.

Someone talk me off the typical Syracuse cynicism tree. I think it’s a home run hire assuming we remove all these assumptions about realignment, our finances, and our ability to pay top nil
Wouldn't that be like trying to convince you that Earth is not flat?

Let's see how this plays out. Several connected posters have tried to reassure people of SU's understanding of the importance of the football program relative to revenue, brand, admission applications, conference realignment, and ROI.

He has been out of college football for 2 seasons and he has to get back into the game soon. If you look at last year's college football openings, there really wasn't a fit for Mullen. Syracuse is available and I think a good coach can win at Syracuse in the ACC. It's not like the schedule is Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Tennessee, Florida State,... (on his schedule his last year at Florida). He probably looked at this year's schedule and said, I could have won 7 to 8 games without completely rejuvenating the program.

If he wins at Syracuse, in 3 to 4 years, he will be a top candidate for SEC and Big 10 jobs if he wants to leave.

I think Mullen can turn Syracuse around quickly, but I think Chesney would build a program and coach at Syracuse for 10+ years. It's a tough choice.

He probably thought, I could have won 7-8 games with this schedule and still done the broadcaster gig.

Thanks! I actually already donate annually to CAF but I'm now officially in for the $250 level for Orange United. Let's get this done!
Fun fact: A guy I’ve played fantasy football with for like 20 years (no connection to Upstate NY at all) was talking to me about Sean Tucker and I mentioned I was an alumni and naturally loved Tucker and he was like “oh wow, coincidentally I just launched an NIL collective there called Orange United”

In hindsight Mullen’s comments during the Va Tech / Syr game were telling if I recall. Makes sense he pursued us. He knows the path to being a top four team in the ACc is there for the taking. Being top five in the SEC next year is going to be so damn hard.
Where is it published that Mullen pursued us? did I miss something?

Wouldn't that be like trying to convince you that Earth is not flat?

Let's see how this plays out. Several connected posters have tried to reassure people of SU's understanding of the importance of the football program relative to revenue, brand, admission applications, conference realignment, and ROI.
I get that but this is us basically getting the best coaching candidate in this cycle.

It’s a real commitment to a program that is at a 52 week low. It would really make me wonder why we were slumming w Dino for this long if we could have upgraded to a Mullin w a snap of a finger.

More detail: ADJW is swimming in the deep end.
Mullen's agent is Jimmy Sexton, who is the Scott Boras of college football for those that are not aware. That said, please understand that Sexton is not as much of a ball-buster/leverage every nickel he can get, like Boras is. He's just the No. 1 profile guy in his sport, like Boras.
He won't let Mullen get hoodwinked by ADJW/SU/Etc., however.

He’s a lot of guys agent. Guys that have been here

You’re implying Chensey doesn’t?
Chesney was born, raised, and went to HS about 200 miles from Syracuse during the best period of Syracuse football. He went to college about 270 miles from Syracuse. He currently coaches and lives about 270 miles from Syracuse. He has great recruiting contacts in the Northeast.

Let me just say one thing.

I've applied for jobs where my salary demand was X and their range was a lot less than X. But I applied anyway and made it clear I needed more. And the recruiter assured me there was flexibility. Then after days and days of interviews onsitre and off, the offer comes way down where they started with no flexibility.

I hope they don't think they are gonna win them over with slices of Varsity pizza and THBs...oh wait...

Mullen looks similar to Marrone so that should appease about 20% of the board

Florida-Gators-head-coach-Dan-Mullen-against-Kentucky.jpg

I was told a very unlikely person reached out almost immediately after Dino was fired but wasn’t told who it was. Then yesterday I confirmed it was Mullen from some very close to the program people
This is fantastic, that he wants to be here. Stars are aligning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom