Dan Mullen | Page 230 | Syracusefan.com

Dan Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.
As JW mentioned. this is not a rebuild. If there is no coach out there that can improve on 6-6 immediately, anything less indicates a rebuild anyway. I would be for trying to keep Dino current staff in tact for next year (hopefully keeps recruits and players) and reevaluate then. Maybe Nunz or Beck is the most low risk financially and high reward options for now. I don’t think the university should hire from the outside just to hire someone. I believe we would know who the coach is by now if we had a top choice on board for next season.

optics is just a fancy word for not having any belief in yourself, who cares about optics. no one cares about SU
123-168 in football since 2000. A 0.423 winning percentage. 7th worst P5 school in that time frame.

1701100363179.png

The teams worse than SU: Colorado has Coach Prime for better or worse, lol, Illinois isn't going anywhere, Indiana had a top-15 season during covid, Vandy doesn't care, Duke doesn't really care, their basketball program brings in more money than their other programs combined, same for Kansas*. Although Duke and Kansas brought in better head coaches and were trending up.

*Kansas made the unfortunate decision in giving Charlie Weis a contract and making him a very wealthy man for being a crap coach.

A lot of idiot posters posting on here

You want to know why most of the people don’t share info on here anymore?

Take a look at how you’re talking to Bulldog, someone who most of you don’t even kkow

He reported what he had been told, because your angry at Cuse because you had already sold yourself to Mullen is not his fault

Things like this change and they change in a hurry.

It was evident yesterday when things went very quiet a pivot had occurred. We don’t know if it was Mullen, Syracuse or a combo

Don’t attack posters with knowledge at the time.

Pretty disgusting really.
I've watched numerous posters with valid inside connections get driven off by a few numbskulls who thrive on hate, negativity, cynicism, and division.
Not one insider has ever claimed their info is rock solid, guaranteed- & if I'm wrong, show me the posts & I'll stand corrected.
Why not accept the gifts that are given here- because strangely enough, the haters are never around when the info is correct, amirite?
Funny how that works...it almost seems like they'd prefer the info be wrong, just to get their jollies by coming back & saying "I told you so"! Pathetic

This right here^^^
If he goes to Duke or anywhere else, we can assume he decided against the SU job specifically, not that he wasn't getting back to coaching.
And then the question becomes, why?
What are we NOT doing, that's failing to attract the best and brightest players/coaches for this program? Location, weather, blah blah blah are not valid reasons, imo. Something else has to be amiss for us not to be, at the very least, on par w/ our peers.
Or Syracuse said no.

I have zero inside info. I fear the BOT let this all fall apart. There was too much smoke on ESPN ribbing DM about coaching at Syracuse, they would not have been doing that on air if they didn't think it was a done deal.

I think DM gave JW what he needed, both in support and $$$ to be successful at Syracuse. I am confident JW is serious about this and said "yep Dan, I am going to get it done".

Fast forward to this weekend. JW meets with the BOT to get sign off/ funds released/ whatever, and the BOT shut it down.

I really hope DM is not coaching at a peer school next year because that would confirm to me we (maybe the BOT) isn't serious about big time football...

It's not remotely true.

I don't know anything one way or the other as far as what happened or didn't with Mullen. But I do know this:

His NCAA violations, and the show cause order, were publicly available information that literally every college football fan knew about 3 years ago. There's literally no way that things got through the entire process and 48 hours before the hire was to be announced someone said "Whoa, whoa, whoa...this guy had recuiting violations?!?!?"

Don’t disagree, my point is you don‘t fire a guy without having a deal done with the successor in your back pocket. It’s Management 101 in the business world.
Especially when the AD explicitly states that it was well thought-out process:
“The decision was not a knee-jerk reaction, not an emotional decision,” Wildhack told the assembled media. “I’ve evaluated the program on a consistent basis. ... The search for the next head football coach is underway and Wildhack told the media it will be “thorough.”
If they weren't going to make a splashy hire, which isn't like anything SU has done before, then the list of candidates should have been pretty short to start and it should have been a brisk process. Not something that drags out (and a week plus is dragging out a coaching hire if they already knew they were firing Babers at the beginning of the month) to get at least a verbal agreement in place: Here's our budget, here's the number of years. You in? The pen to paper takes some time, but that's not the most important part. Especially if you're just vetting a bunch of coordinators and FCS coaches. This isn't Auburn or FSU.

This thread is both the best and the worst of who we are as a fan community. Thanks to all of you for making this place a reality. It truly is a dynamic creature. Most of what I know about Syracuse Football & Basketball I have learned here. I haven't lived in CNY since 1988 and for many years I sought for information on SU sports without much success. One day I found some things that Dan Johnson posted and I've been here every since. Most of what I know isn't from individual experience, rather by sharing in what all of you know or think.

The people that post here are a cross-section of our Syracuse fan community. There are many insiders that post here, but also a large number of very accomplished individuals who care about SU sports. If I could ask one thing it would be not to berate each other for sharing things that you hear or for opinions you offer. In that light, Bulldog, please don't stop posting here. You're part of the fabric that makes up an amazing site.

I appreciate the admins, insiders, boosters, and generally knowledgeable people that post what they know or think. My life would be less full without you. I have to say I have no idea who would make the best choice for head coach. I've read a lot about all of the candidates but the chemistry that defines a winner is as much magic to me as logical. I just want to win. I have had season tickets for a good while and am debating whether to continue. I haven't been able to get to many games except when in CNY in the fall. I'm currently in Colorado which makes it tricky. I didn't get to any games this year but this site has kept me close.

Treasure each other while you can. We have more in common than we are different. I get the anger over missing out on a candidate that brought so much hope, but it's not the fault of anyone here. If you don't like roller-coasters, sports fandom may not be your best option. Best wishes to all of us as we move forward...
Well if this aint some Kumbyah BS. PSHHHHH.

I don't know anything one way or the other as far as what happened or didn't with Mullen. But I do know this:

His NCAA violations, and the show cause order, were publicly available information that literally every college football fan knew about 3 years ago. There's literally no way that things got through the entire process and 48 hours before the hire was to be announced someone said "Whoa, whoa, whoa...this guy had recuiting violations?!?!?"
The only thing that has proven true is that nobody really knows anything.

I heard some influential folks were interested in Mullen, but the admins were wary of his history. If that's true, then it plays out how it played out.

But, who cares now? Mullen is not an option.

I have zero inside info. I fear the BOT let this all fall apart. There was too much smoke on ESPN ribbing DM about coaching at Syracuse, they would not have been doing that on air if they didn't think it was a done deal.

I think DM gave JW what he needed, both in support and $$$ to be successful at Syracuse. I am confident JW is serious about this and said "yep Dan, I am going to get it done".

Fast forward to this weekend. JW meets with the BOT to get sign off/ funds released/ whatever, and the BOT shut it down.

I really hope DM is not coaching at a peer school next year because that would confirm to me we (maybe the BOT) isn't serious about big time football...
It's possible that the BOT's objections to the amount of money it would cost are valid.

You can't give tickets away. No one cares about the team. We can all yell about "We have to be super serious precipice big boys drives bus show we belong rabble rabble" but maybe it costs too much to hire an old guy who might hate the job and wasn't some worldbeater to begin with

The violations may have scared off the Chancellor and BofT. Given the past history of NCAA problems with the basketball program they wouldn't want to go anywhere near it. The SI article said some sanctions might carryover. I wonder if they do. If so, red flag.
Why would it they had no problem keeping Boeheim on after his 2nd probation and the 1st was blue chips style.

The look? I bet that there aren’t more than 1000 people who really knew Mullen was even a rumor. My wife used to get pisssd off at Twitter. I always reminded her it wasn’t a true representation of America. 20 percent of Americans were on it and a smaller percentage actually tweet. This board is a small percentage of people who contribute to Syracuse and its athletics.
So you’re saying Matt Barrie reads this board and Syracuse twitter and all the recruits magically started following him?

Listen, we may have lost Mullen, but we gained so many Sam Elliott gifs in the process, that is still a win in my book.

To everyone else, if you're posting on an internet message board about Syracuse sports, in general, you already have issues. I admit it. I do. I've been posting on this board for over 20 years. Coaching searches are crazy town. But so is arguing about the 2-3 zone for decades upon decades with people you may only know by a handle and a profile pic of Carmelo Anthony in a big old winter hat!

We're all on a spinning rock in the vast expanse of space hoping for a legit 9-win regular season where we get to say things like "we could take Bama if we had them on a neutral field".

As the saying goes, "don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive".

Anyway, I'll convince myself we'll go undefeated even if our next HC is Henry Winkler.
That’s the closest thing to the ISIS speech we can get without spilling into nonsense … well done.

It's possible that the BOT's objections to the amount of money it would cost are valid.

You can't give tickets away. No one cares about the team. We can all yell about "We have to be super serious precipice big boys drives bus show we belong rabble rabble" but maybe it costs too much to hire an old guy who might hate the job and wasn't some worldbeater to begin with

We do give tickets away. The price we pay for the seats we have is obscenely cheap.

We do give tickets away. The price we pay for the seats we have is obscenely cheap.
Yeah because Syracuse isn't like a major market in which tourists/transients happen upon a game when they're in town for something else.
I've been to Syracuse maybe five times the past 15 years, versus many times that in Dallas, NYC (not any more), SFO (ditto - not any more), Vegas, Miami, etc.

(then again - correcting myself - most major universities are off the beaten path)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom