Darius Bazley - Players Tribune | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Darius Bazley - Players Tribune

Jalen Carey just commented he is looking forward to coming to Cuse to get bigger, stronger and improve his game. He gets it. The guys in the G- league have already done the weight training for the most part. Bazley is putting the cart before the horse. This can undermine him significantly. He is going to be beat up and pushed around by grown men. I was a soccer player and my strength and size at 17 vs 19wasnt even close. We were Jersey state champs my jr and sr year and the following year when I stepped onto a college field I was getting my bell rung like crazy. Night and day difference. Had I gone instead to a g- type league out of high school I’m sure it would have overwhelmed me

Jalen Carey just commented he is looking forward to coming to Cuse to get bigger, stronger and improve his game. He gets it. The guys in the G- league have already done the weight training for the most part. Bazley is putting the cart before the horse. This can undermine him significantly. He is going to be beat up and pushed around by grown men. I was a soccer player and my strength and size at 17 vs 19wasnt even close. We were Jersey state champs my jr and sr year and the following year when I stepped onto a college field I was getting my bell rung like crazy. Night and day difference. Had I gone instead to a g- type league out of high school I’m sure it would have overwhelmed me

“The G League is made up of grown men. They’ll beat Bazley up!”

“The G League is made up of guys who play no defense. It’s low quality basketball. Jack Cooley was jogging down court eating a sausage sandwich.”

Ha ha. Looked pretty out of shape but compare the bodies to the Jordan brand classic. What would have happened to Lydon if he had done it? I understand that their relative rankings are light years apart but frame similar. This is not an ideal stage. College BB huge hype. If you think you’re gonna go into the G league at 17 and soaking wet 180 and be an alpha you’re crazy

Sounds to me like Carey hasn't heard that #TrailBazley has an opportunity to display his talents on THE Espnews channel this upcoming season if his g-league team makes the playoffs.

Apparently not everyone is cut out to be a trailbazler. Enjoy your year in ACC basketball obscurity, Jalen!

As high school star skips college for NBA’s G League, others remain skeptical

Before Darius Bazley made history, he just wanted to ball. On his official recruiting visit to Syracuse in September, he was out on Marshall Street late at night getting food when he met a team manager with facility access. The two soon wound up at the Carmelo K. Anthony Center, shooting at 3 a.m.

The next day, other recruits went to the Syracuse football game, but Bazley returned to the gym. Later, at Coach Jim Boeheim's place for a team dinner, Bazley ate after almost everyone else because he appeared anchored to the house's half court. After dinner finished, Bazley was at the gym once more.

He didn't know it then, but that was his last time on campus, even though he signed with Syracuse in November. After finishing with 11 points and seven rebounds in the McDonald's all-American Game on March 28, he made public the decision he had discussed with his mother and high school coach for about two months.

Yeah, I agree with what Madbiker posted about what the commentators felt about Bazely’s decision. It hurts the team especially with his versatility and help with our ballhandling woes and potential slow pace again.

That being said, I don’t think we’re screwed or anything with him bolting. I think the kid needs a ton of work, frankly. He’s not really explosive. A finesse guy who is very thin. Lots of skills yes but he’s not really a true SF/SG the way Brandon Ingram is or as quick. There were more impressive frontcourt guys in both the Jordan and McD games. I think he’ll have to pick his spots carefully how to score in the G-League as I can’t see how he won’t get abused/exposed inside against most of the men there. I hope he has the drive to get stronger. Just my $.02.

Yeah, I agree with what Madbiker posted about what the commentators felt about Bazely’s decision. It hurts the team especially with his versatility and help with our ballhandling woes and potential slow pace again.

That being said, I don’t think we’re screwed or anything with him bolting. I think the kid needs a ton of work, frankly. He’s not really explosive. A finesse guy who is very thin. Lots of skills yes but he’s not really a true SF/SG the way Brandon Ingram is or as quick. There were more impressive frontcourt guys in both the Jordan and McD games. I think he’ll have to pick his spots carefully how to score in the G-League as I can’t see how he won’t get abused/exposed inside against most of the men there. I hope he has the drive to get stronger. Just my $.02.
Obvious negative energy has emerged. Could have affected our close knit locker room

I'm not sure many 18 year old kids would want to move to Beijing for the equivalent of $100,000 (after expenses) if there was a viable option in the States. Brandon Jennings had a tough time overseas, but he made it to the NBA and Emmanuel Mudiay is successful. Haven't seen alot of kids following their path, which was mostly fueled by academic problems.

Emmanuel Mudiay is a bust. He's the third PG on the Knicks...think about that.

Emmanuel Mudiay is a bust. He's the third PG on the Knicks...think about that.

But he and Jennings made the NBA. Thats 2 for 2. What’s the percentage of lottery picks that stick in the NBA ?

“The G League is made up of grown men. They’ll beat Bazley up!”

“The G League is made up of guys who play no defense. It’s low quality basketball. Jack Cooley was jogging down court eating a sausage sandwich.

Well, if it was Gianelli's...can't blame the dude. ;)

Since 2010? All but 4...

So there's statistically no difference in success rate (making the NBA) for top 25 HS players that were lottery picks who went to college vs. playing overseas. Granted a small pool, but as others have said, the NBA draft is all about potential, not resume. And every GM is deathly afraid to be the guy who misses out on the next big thing.

I think he got some horrible advice. Having a good college run matters. Just ask Mali. I think that he is going to cost himself millions.

and Griffin never reminded Bazely that,
he could have been in the running for a Syracuse NC and that is a once in a lifetime experience. In his blog he mentions our facilities and fans but never mentions playing for a NC contender.

He probably doesn't care about playing for a national championship. Every player's end goal is the NBA. He figures the best route is playing against high talented players in the G-League in practice/games every day.

Nike doesnt pay for march runs

Who cares about national titles when you can make 20 grand a year and live in a great destination paradise like ft Wayne Indiana.

Might pocket $150k in endorsement/agent fronted cash on top of his salary and get to live in Santa Cruz or South Bay. Sounds like a better year than making $0 while obtaining 12 credits hours towards a sport and human dynamic degree that he will likely never use/need.

Do people forgot how hard it is to even make the final four? A national title contender? There's roughly 50 of 'em on March 15th.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom