Dave Odom | Syracusefan.com

Dave Odom

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
I don't comment much on commentators because I think they are generally good and the homers here want everything to be called all pro-Orange. But, Dave Odom is THE WORST color guy I have ever heard. He makes Dykes look like Bilas. He is not articulate, messes up players' names and skillsets, messes up situations, etc. Just pathetic. The PbP guy wasn't much better but he did try to steer Odom in the right direction a few times. That was really an embarrassment.

I can't remember two announcers more biased for one team ever. So pro-GT it made me throw up in my mouth

I can't remember two announcers more biased for one team ever. So pro-GT it made me throw up in my mouth

Odom especially. He's probably a good ole Confederate boy and hates SU, ND, etc., in the conference. The PbP guy DID try to set him straight a few times. I thought that guy was generally fine. I've heard him before. Odom just sucks.

I was signing on to make a similar comment. I rarely complain about this but he was spitting out a bunch of incoherent garbage mixed with GT loving poo.

Yup. I rarely complain as well. Just awful. Him WAY more than the PbP guy.

That's two games in a row now. I thought the CBS crew last Sunday was awful as well.

That was an SU pbp guy and maybe Spanarkle on color? I don't know. SU played like crap and it got out of hand so they had to talk about something. They made it good for us by talking less about SU.

He's certainly not a seasoned analyst. I hesitate to be so critical b/c I wonder how much of his lack of eloquence owes to his 74 years on the planet. He does have a lot more passion for the game than, say, Bobby Knight, who just seemed angry to be there and basically mailed it in.

Odom was certainly a very accomplished head coach, but I wonder how low the bar is for any ex-coach who wants to get in the analyst game. There are 101 games listed on mattsarzsports.com for today. All those games need an analyst. I'd hate to be the guy who was passed over.

That was an SU pbp guy and maybe Spanarkle on color? I don't know. SU played like crap and it got out of hand so they had to talk about something. They made it good for us by talking less about SU.

Catalon & Lappas

He's certainly not a seasoned analyst. I hesitate to be so critical b/c I wonder how much of his lack of eloquence owes to his 74 years on the planet. He does have a lot more passion for the game than, say, Bobby Knight, who just seemed angry to be there and basically mailed it in.

Odom was certainly a very accomplished head coach, but I wonder how low the bar is for any ex-coach who wants to get in the analyst game. There are 101 games listed on mattsarzsports.com for today. All those games need an analyst. I'd hate to be the guy who was passed over.

For sure. I get his pedigree and such. Yes, those two. Thanks. I'll take Catalon and Lappas anyday. The fact that we was given a somewhat marquee afternoon ACC game to do speaks volumes for the industry, imo. You could be right about the age thing. I didn't know he was 74.

Odom especially. He's probably a good ole Confederate boy and hates SU, ND, etc., in the conference. The PbP guy DID try to set him straight a few times. I thought that guy was generally fine. I've heard him before. Odom just sucks.
His comment about hoping people show up next week in Brooklyn was asinine. Like the premier college bball league playing its conference tourney in NYC is gonna be a tough sell.

His comment about hoping people show up next week in Brooklyn was asinine. Like the premier college bball league playing its conference tourney in NYC is gonna be a tough sell.
The "new northern schools" have rocked the boat and the old guard are scared. They probably either never watched the Big East tournament or watched trembling. Well, I doubt Barclays will be like MSG, but hopefully it's close.

I don't comment much on commentators because I think they are generally good and the homers here want everything to be called all pro-Orange. But, Dave Odom is THE WORST color guy I have ever heard. He makes Dykes look like Bilas. He is not articulate, messes up players' names and skillsets, messes up situations, etc. Just pathetic. The PbP guy wasn't much better but he did try to steer Odom in the right direction a few times. That was really an embarrassment.

I don't want everyone to be homers either, but I agree that he is awful. It's really pretty to just use TuneInRadio and dial in Matt Park and sync it to your TV (and mute TV). I know it sounds hard, but it's not. I takes less than 2-3 tries to get it synced completely.

44cuse

The "new northern schools" have rocked the boat and the old guard are scared. They probably either never watched the Big East tournament or watched trembling. Well, I doubt Barclays will be like MSG, but hopefully it's close.
At some point the ACC tourney will be in MSG, and it'll be awesome. The B10 playing its conference tourney in NYC really rubs me the wrong way.

I don't want everyone to be homers either, but I agree that he is awful. It's really pretty to just use TuneInRadio and dial in Matt Park and sync it to your TV (and mute TV). I know it sounds hard, but it's not. I takes less than 2-3 tries to get it synced completely.

44cuse

Good call. I use TuneInRadio in other capacities. I do like Park more than most. I can always catch him in the car on Sirius if I'm stuck in transit.

For sure. I get his pedigree and such. Yes, those two. Thanks. I'll take Catalon and Lappas anyday. The fact that we was given a somewhat marquee afternoon ACC game to do speaks volumes for the industry, imo. You could be right about the age thing. I didn't know he was 74.

Hey, now, you yutes, slow down with the 74 excuse (says the 68-year-old). Not all old farts are blown out. I'd bet Odom would suck at the mic at any age.

I realize Hubie Brown is an exception, but he's 83, has been broadcasting for 30 years -- with a little time out to coach the Grizzlies -- and he's every bit as fresh today as he was when he was a mere babe starting out doing NBA color.

My jaw dropped at that whole segment - it sounded like he was afraid Brooklyn'ites were gonna go all Warriors on anyone making the trip North.

warriors.jpg

Hey, now, you yutes, slow down with the 74 excuse (says the 68-year-old). Not all old farts are blown out. I'd bet Odom would suck at the mic at any age.

I realize Hubie Brown is an exception, but he's 83, has been broadcasting for 30 years -- with a little time out to coach the Grizzlies -- and he's every bit as fresh today as he was when he was a mere babe starting out doing NBA color.

Dr. Jack Ramsey was pretty good well into his 80's.

You're right Fireball and longtime. No question on those two. Odom just never should have been put in this position and/or accepted a position like this. He's not meant for TV/broadcasting. He offered like ZERO technical/strategic nuggets on both teams which was really weird. Even Lappas blew him out of the water with the X's and O's stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom