Dave Odom | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dave Odom

it was as if he had a book of sentences they gave him to read and he simply read them whenever he wanted to. Nothing made sense. Nothing worked. He barely was able to make it through the game. It was horrendous.

it was as if he had a book of sentences they gave him to read and he simply read them whenever he wanted to. Nothing made sense. Nothing worked. He barely was able to make it through the game. It was horrendous.

Ha! Nice.

I can't remember two announcers more biased for one team ever. So pro-GT it made me throw up in my mouth
The PBP guy - Wes Durham. Also happens to be the radio voice of the ATLANTA Falcons. So yes, very pro-GT.

He is brutal, I love when he was asked about his thoughts on the upcoming Acc Tournament, and his reply was " I think it will fine" mindblowing insight Dave.

Hey, now, you yutes, slow down with the 74 excuse (says the 68-year-old). Not all old farts are blown out. I'd bet Odom would suck at the mic at any age.

I realize Hubie Brown is an exception, but he's 83, has been broadcasting for 30 years -- with a little time out to coach the Grizzlies -- and he's every bit as fresh today as he was when he was a mere babe starting out doing NBA color.

I could listen to Hubie Brown talk about bball all day long.

at one point, Odom said that he really like the way G tech was playing defense and offense. And syracuse looked a little mixed up. The score was 20-11 Syracuse.
Funny...I said the same thing about that time.
Then I said it again when the Orange went on the big 2nd half run.

He's certainly not a seasoned analyst. I hesitate to be so critical b/c I wonder how much of his lack of eloquence owes to his 74 years on the planet. He does have a lot more passion for the game than, say, Bobby Knight, who just seemed angry to be there and basically mailed it in.

Odom was certainly a very accomplished head coach, but I wonder how low the bar is for any ex-coach who wants to get in the analyst game. There are 101 games listed on mattsarzsports.com for today. All those games need an analyst. I'd hate to be the guy who was passed over.

That was my impression too. I think the wheels are turning in there but he just can't verbalize. That might get better with time or it might get worse with age.

Good call. I use TuneInRadio in other capacities. I do like Park more than most. I can always catch him in the car on Sirius if I'm stuck in transit.

A couple of today's best lines:

"And the wave has just started here in The Dome. People are partying like it's 1999."

"Well, we were worried there would be no sleep til Brooklyn, but instead they'll be rockin' this party 8 days a week."

Classic.

44cuse

You're right Fireball and longtime. No question on those two. Odom just never should have been put in this position and/or accepted a position like this. He's not meant for TV/broadcasting. He offered like ZERO technical/strategic nuggets on both teams which was really weird. Even Lappas blew him out of the water with the X's and O's stuff.
In fairness to Odom, he is apparently pretty good at playing some stupid game on his phone.

at one point, Odom said that he really like the way G tech was playing defense and offense. And syracuse looked a little mixed up. The score was 20-11 Syracuse.
That was at the eight minute mark of the first half. My 17 year old son said "how can you be playing good offense if you only have 11 points". My 8 year old son responded, " that's only one point per minute.". Real good offense Odom.

Odom especially. He's probably a good ole Confederate boy and hates SU, ND, etc., in the conference. The PbP guy DID try to set him straight a few times. I thought that guy was generally fine. I've heard him before. Odom just sucks.
Pretty much all the ACC network color announcers guys are like this. Of the bunch, I think Gimminski is close to the best.

Odom made the most idiotic comment the previous game he worked. I think it was the VT game. He said something like the Orange have an underrated M2M defense or some nonsense.

Odom is a complete buffoon.

It's not really hard to be an announcer. Make sure you know every player on both teams. At least have a list in front of you with each player and their uniform number. Then every time either offense makes a good play you compliment the player who made the good play. Every time the defense makes a good play on either team you compliment the defensive player who made a good play. This way no partisan thinks you are an a hole. And you are giving a compliment to a player who deserves recognition. And then you occasionally add and my favorite cliche comment made by TV announcers, "he can make that play." LOL!

The PBP guy - Wes Durham. Also happens to be the radio voice of the ATLANTA Falcons. So yes, very pro-GT.

He was Georgia Tech's broadcaster for football and basketball for about 15-20 years as well, up till 2013. He's definitely a Georgia Tech guy.

Horrible. Brutal. Mute-worthy. My mother called to kvetch about him and she's been dead since 1993.
OK, man...here's the question involving a soul-splitting "no win" choice.
You're forced to listen to a crucial SU game.
You get a lot of dough if you can make it all the way through.
You have a choice of 2 color guys to listen to.
Who do you pick: Dave Odom or Jim Satalin?
And no fair saying that you're deaf.

Has to be satalin. Odom would be impossible for me to listen to again

I'll go with the color analyst who doesn't make me feel like I'm being held in a jail cell in Mayberry every time.

They definitely leave much to be desired but Odom reached new levels of incompetence on a broadcast. Never seen anything like it.

Odom is simply uncanny. His comment in the first half with about 5 minutes left and how the flow of the game was just going way too fast for GT's liking was stellar...I believe the score at the time was like 18-11. ;):)

Is suicide an option?

If not, I'd go with Odom -- Blue Moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors