DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

Some kids do not have the luxury of waiting for the NFL money and need to take what they can get
Sure looking at it now and not starting it looks terrible but we don't know if him and family desperately needed the money
100 percent correct. Its sad and regardless of why he made the move i hope that it works out for him.

100 percent correct. Its sad and regardless of why he made the move i hope that it works out for him.
Not directing this at you KCSU, just using your post to reply, but I'm so sick of hearing immediate family needs as an excuse. The kid's family made it 19-20 years without the extra 60k he got by going to OSU. Extremely short sighted by whoever is advising him. Jahad could have been a lock draft pick here, even if picked up in the later rounds. Now he's going to have to go the UDFA route and hope he can stick with the right NFL team. Time will tell, and I wish him nothing but the best, but let's stop using the immediate family needs as an excuse. It was poor advice and a money grab by those closest to him.

Did i see somewhere that Carter had some family reasons for needing and taking the larger nil opportunity? If true, that immediate family needs played a role, then I would not mix Carter into the Duce discussion as to me the question as to "Why" someone leaves makes a difference.

I recall a couple people posting this as well. On that note, I sure hope a good chunk was guaranteed and OSU didn't dangle a number they had no intent of being attainable because of having to meet on field #s.

Not directing this at you KCSU, just using your post to reply, but I'm so sick of hearing immediate family needs as an excuse. The kid's family made it 19-20 years without the extra 60k he got by going to OSU. Extremely short sighted by whoever is advising him. Jahad could have been a lock draft pick here, even if picked up in the later rounds. Now he's going to have to go the UDFA route and hope he can stick with the right NFL team. Time will tell, and I wish him nothing but the best, but let's stop using the immediate family needs as an excuse. It was poor advice and a money grab by those closest to him.

Circumstances can change quickly though. Not saying it's one way or the other but unless you've lived a day in some of these kids and their families' shoes this take is quite a bit off. He deserves the benefit of the doubt here. If it's a situation of actual greed vs need well then he has to live with that unfortunately but at this point that is purely a guess.

Circumstances can change quickly though. Not saying it's one way or the other but unless you've lived a day in some of these kids and their families' shoes this take is quite a bit off. He deserves the benefit of the doubt here. If it's a situation of actual greed vs need well then he has to live with that unfortunately but at this point that is purely a guess.
Not saying my situation was as bad as Jahad's, but an argument could be made. Sometimes you've got to look out for yourself and do what's best for your future. Hoping you'll be able to pull your family out of it when you can, and have a sustained income stream.

Especially when Cuse I’m sure was giving him a pretty good chunk of NIL, especially if he stayed

He might transfer again.

Very few kids who dont play make the league. First he wont make the combine, second too little film.

For a family who might only make 20K a year, an extra 45K post taxes is a HUGE boon. We also have no clue if he wouldve been a draft pick here, we are speculating based on some above average play last year.

For a family who might only make 20K a year, an extra 45K post taxes is a HUGE boon. We also have no clue if he wouldve been a draft pick here, we are speculating based on some above average play last year.
Things could still change but as it stands today his odds of getting drafted at SU were infinitely better than at OSU.

People should stop saying guys are locks to get drafted Sean Tucker didn’t even get called and if you posted that he’d go undrafted 12 months ago people would have wanted to fight.

That's certainly true.

But it's also true that there were extenuating circumstances behind why that occurred.

People should stop saying guys are locks to get drafted Sean Tucker didn’t even get called and if you posted that he’d go undrafted 12 months ago people would have wanted to fight.

He would have gotten drafted if not for a heart condition. A heart condition isn’t something you can predict.

I get it but how long would that much NIL last, a year ? Maybe it solves a family problem and gets them out of a hole or whatever, that would be great and then maybe it's worth it. But also consider it's doubtful they will pay him the same NIL next year if he's a bench warmer. Not something that would be considered at the time of being wooed with starting spots, short term money and NFL promises.

He's looking at UDFA status right now if he doesn't play and there are a lot of safeties out there.

We don't know he would have been a lock draft pick if he stayed here. Also his circumstances could have changed, or his families. The only thing we know is that fans get mad when a player chooses to leave for another school.

But he would have almost got that staying at Cuse

I won’t be shocked by any means to see Jahad grad transfer back to Cuse

I mean the kid attended our spring game after he transferred to OSU….

He has A LOT and I mean A LOT of love for Cuse

He might transfer again.

Very few kids who dont play make the league. First he wont make the combine, second too little film.

Wonder if he might be a unique case of coming back to Cuse?

Things could still change but as it stands today his odds of getting drafted at SU were infinitely better than at OSU.
Well yes, hindsight being 20-20 he should’ve stayed but unfortunately he doesn’t have the super power.

I get it but how long would that much NIL last, a year ? Maybe it solves a family problem and gets them out of a hole or whatever, that would be great and then maybe it's worth it. But also consider it's doubtful they will pay him the same NIL next year if he's a bench warmer. Not something that would be considered at the time of being wooed with starting spots, short term money and NFL promises.

He's looking at UDFA status right now if he doesn't play and there are a lot of safeties out there.
You have to understand that for people who come from nothing, ANYTHING is worth it. Survival of the family trumps everything.

But he would have almost got that staying at Cuse

I won’t be shocked by any means to see Jahad grad transfer back to Cuse

I mean the kid attended our spring game after he transferred to OSU….

He has A LOT and I mean A LOT of love for Cuse
We don’t know how much he got at OSU nor how much he was offered here, personally I’m just using the number the other commenter pulled out.

It's a sad situation, but it is what it is.

Ohio State is a factory. They get top rated guys every single year, and have zero qualms recruiting over incumbents. And with the portal, they're also pulling in experienced guys from other teams -- another obstacle to PT.

I am sad that we lost a proven playmaker in Carter. Kid was a big personality, and a terrific player. But he was often injured [which is probably related to his style of play / propensity to throw his body around], and he got injured in preseason camp at OSU. I thought I read that he was in line to start, but being injured probably derailed that. Could he work his way back into the rotation / a starting role? Sure -- but it looks like his perpetual injury issues are rearing their ugly head.

Carter was such a likeable kid, I didn't and won't throw shade at him for opting to leave. It's sad that a mere $60K was "life changing money" for him, and he took the quick cash and gambled on himself. That's what top athletes often do.

But if it doesn't pan out, then it's a cautionary tale that our coaching staff can point to. Sucks for Carter, but the die is cast.

Well yes, hindsight being 20-20 he should’ve stayed but unfortunately he doesn’t have the super power.
Several on this board must possess this super power you speak of because they said exactly that long before last weeks game.

Last edited:
I think the power in question is foresight, which good advisors tend to have. If he leaped for $60k vs. what he would have gotten here, that's regrettable.

Several on this board posses most have this super power you speak of because they said exactly that long before last weeks game.
and others said he would be starting, their guesses were as valid as anyone else's, but they were still guesses.

I think the power in question is foresight, which good advisors tend to have. If he leaped for $60k vs. what he would have gotten here, that's regrettable.
again, this 60K number is random in my mind, have no source for that other than what another user used as an example. And who is to say he isn't just under performing, perhaps he entered camps with the 1s (making his advisor right) and has fallen behind. Same thing couldve happened here. You earn time in football, you're not given it. This speculation reeks of jealousy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom