DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

DB Ja'Had Carter / Portal from Ohio State to NC State

"Don't let NIL get in the way of the NFL." That OSU bag was a pittance of what he could earn even as a NFL practice squad player. I thought his trajectory was going to be like Garrett Williams. The grass isn't always greener.

Hard to make comments like this when you don't know the full situation. He's 1 of 3 to a single mother. We don't know how much he got at OSU. I hope everything is okay with Ja'Had.

Hard to make comments like this when you don't know the full situation. He's 1 of 3 to a single mother. We don't know how much he got at OSU. I hope everything is okay with Ja'Had.
It's really too bad. If he stayed here he was on an arc to be drafted and would have had an opportunity for generational wealth. But not walking in his shoes, really don't know how tough it is and the immediate need. Plus, he bet on himself and I respect that.

It's really too bad. If he stayed here he was on an arc to be drafted and would have had an opportunity for generational wealth. But not walking in his shoes, really don't know how tough it is and the immediate need. Plus, he bet on himself and I respect that.
Exactly. Maybe his family was on the brink of homelessness and he couldn’t wait long to cash in, who knows? It is just, like you said, too bad.

Wow. He actually does have some elegability.

2020 True frosh, Doesn't count
2021 counts
2022 counts
2023 at OSU he played in 2 games so redshirt
2024 played in 5 games at NCS.

Has one more year.
Wonder if we will be seeing him in Orange again?

He made a decision and is living with the ramifications. If these guys want to be paid as adults, treated as adults then their decisions have consequences. Not wishing anything bad on the guy at all but life doesn't always work out the way you want it to.
I’ll keep this short. All this jumping around (portal) is hindering the development of players for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that they don’t learn how to deal with adversity or to work through an issue. Rather, they take the easy route. The work-around.

NFL teams looks for talent, yes, first and foremost. But the last 3-4 rounds of the Draft, they look hard at intangibles, because 6th rounders are not brought into be starters. Does that kid have the mindset to work his tail off to push the starters, to be ready to play even if he is not likely to get significant snaps? How HARD does he practice. Does he study to excel on the Look Team? Can he play more than one position (is he versatile)? Did he play special teams? Does he go “all in” on special teams? What do his coaches say about him? Does he study football, live football? Does he study extra? Does he eat right. Does he visit the athletic training staff? Did he treat program personnel properly (with dignity and respect)? How is he after a big win? How about a bad loss? Is he consistent?

Jumping from school to school, looking for the path of least resistance, that doesn’t often breed the team-centric, “I’m ready to work,” “what can I do to make this team better” mindset. It’s sad. It (portal) produces the opposite effect. So few kids (and the adults around them) get this.

For the top 100 players every year, talent reigns supreme. They get an extended leash. Beyond that, it’s a crap shoot where intangibles and positivity carry the day.

Last edited:
I’ll keep this short. All this jumping around (portal) is hindering the development of players for numerous reasons, not the least of which is that they don’t learn how to deal with adversity or to work through an issue. Rather, they take the easy route. The work-around.

NFL teams looks for talent, yes, first and foremost. But the last 3-4 rounds of the Draft, they look hard at intangibles, because 6th rounders are not brought into be starters. Does that kid have the mindset to work his tail off to push the starters, to be ready to play even if he is not likely to get significant snaps? How HARD does he practice. Does he study to excel on the Look Team? Can he play more than one position (is he versatile)? Did he play special teams? Does he go “all in” on special teams? What do his coaches say about him? Does he study football, live football? Does he study extra? Does he eat right. Does he visit the athletic training staff? Did he treat program personnel properly (with dignity and respect)? How is he after a big win? How about a bad loss? Is he consistent?

Jumping from school to school, looking for the path of least resistance, that doesn’t often breed the team-centric, “I’m ready to work,” “what can I do to make this team better” mindset. It’s sad. It (portal) produces the opposite effect. So few kids (and the adults around them) get this.

For the top 100 players every year, talent reigns supreme. They get an extended leash. Beyond that, it’s a crap shoot where intangibles and positivity carry the day.
So…..what is long in your world?

I keed I keed

Almost the same comments that Tom Brady made on it.

Said the level of NFL play is drastically decreased by the portal because none of the players have continuity anymore and it’s killing their development.

This needs to be looked at and rectified as it’s hindering young adults careers

This is absolutely true and he chose to leave for the money.

However, from what I had heard, the money wasn’t as significant as you would have expected.

Had he stayed at Cuse, he probably would have made more in the long run.

It really hurts to see and I also hope all is okay with Jahad and his family

He probably thought he was also improving his NFL odds by going to OSU.

It didn't work out for him, but it was the right choice and one most of us would have made.

It didn't work out for him, but it was the right choice and one most of us would have made.
Not sure it was the right choice if it didn’t work out.

Complete revisionist history that he was headed to the NFL if he stayed most of our good players don't get drafted look at Tucker and I don't really think he was great in 2022 or really improved from his FR season when he was excellent for a true FR. Couldn't beat out the guys at NC State he could have come back and not played.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up next year if he wants to keep playing.

Reactions: CIL

It’s always going to be a crapshoot unless your decision is based totally on NIL$ backed by a contract.

That post was corrected, he played 8 games in 2023, so he is out of eligibility.
Seems strange to be in for two plays in his game 5 and exhaust eligibility. Others have been leaving their teams after game 4 and preserved the year.

Complete revisionist history that he was headed to the NFL if he stayed most of our good players don't get drafted look at Tucker and I don't really think he was great in 2022 or really improved from his FR season when he was excellent for a true FR. Couldn't beat out the guys at NC State he could have come back and not played.

Good luck to him wherever he ends up next year if he wants to keep playing.
Tucker didn’t get drafted because of a heart condition that was discovered at the combine. Common knowledge. He was a top 5 back in the class and absolutely gets drafted but for that.

Not sure it was the right choice if it didn’t work out.

Okay, I can't argue that.

What I should have written was he probably didn't feel he was hurting his draft status by transferring to a school that has had 500+ players drafted compared to the 229 drafted out of Syracuse.

Almost the same comments that Tom Brady made on it.

Said the level of NFL play is drastically decreased by the portal because none of the players have continuity anymore and it’s killing their development.

This needs to be looked at and rectified as it’s hindering young adults careers
Unfortunately nobody can take criticism anymore and if they do they bolt to the next job, bag, program.

Okay, I can't argue that.

What I should have written was he probably didn't feel he was hurting his draft status by transferring to a school that has had 500+ players drafted compared to the 229 drafted out of Syracuse.
What you’re not arguing is exactly the point. You have to play in order to get drafted. The school doesn’t really matter if you don’t play. And him being able to play was a much higher risk at OSU than it was at SU.

Exactly. Maybe his family was on the brink of homelessness and he couldn’t wait long to cash in, who knows? It is just, like you said, too bad.
Yea but it’s not like Syracuse is offering peanuts to their star upperclassman we give NIL deals to. Hate to talk for the kid, but with the amount we give kids like Mikel, Tucker, Marlowe, etc he would have got more than enough to get by another year. Let’s just call it what it is. He rolled the dice for a bit more money when he was already set up in 1 more year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom