Class of 2019 - DB Jason Simmons Jr (TX / New Mex St) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (2/27/21) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DB Jason Simmons Jr (TX / New Mex St) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (2/27/21)

May be off but thinking

G Williams/Chestnut
Nunn/Cole
Simmons/Folk
Coley/LaBrosse
Carter/Hanna
I like your corner group. But I don't think Simmons is a shoe in to be a starter by any means. I see Labrosse, Simmons and Hanna fighting for a starting spot. Hanna looked pretty good last year as a true frosh but is a bit skinny. Hopefully he can put on some weight. I think Labrosse has huge upside but just had a slow start because he was injured to start the year and others got experience in front of him. I like Folk as a prospect and he has the size to play early, but he will be the true frosh of the group and shouldn't need to be forced to play early at a safety spot because of the experience in front of him.

May be off but thinking

G Williams/Chestnut
Nunn/Cole
Simmons/Folk
Coley/LaBrosse
Carter/Hanna
I Think this is a really reasonable guess. The wildcard I would throw in is hearing Barron being brought up on defense rather than offense over the past few months. If so, that adds one more to the mix fighting for our 3 headed safety monster.

Barron/Coley/Carter would be a very big very fast safety grouping with Labrosse and Hanna working in to provide rest and situational (run vs pass downs) enhancements

May be off but thinking

G Williams/Chestnut
Nunn/Cole
Simmons/Folk
Coley/LaBrosse
Carter/Hanna
Carter at the rover (I forgot what we call it), right? Seems like he’s built for that spot

Starts on other side of G Williams?
He played strong safety at New Mexico State. I have read he is capable of playing CB but I think it likely he will play one of the safety positions.

If I remember right, Coley was bouncing between rover and boundary with Cisco in preseason. The staff eventually decided to put Cisco at rover and Coley at boundary.

I believe Carter ended up replacing Coley at boundary and did quite well there.

Since the staff liked Coley at rover enough to seriously consider playing him there with Cisco on the team, my thinking is he is probably going to end up at rover. Carter ends up at boundary, where he played last season and is pretty comfortable. Guessing Labrosse is the backup boundary.

Greenwood will probably have to hold off Simmons and Hanna at FS. Cole played there a bit too but I think that was because we had so many safeties hurt. I think he plays CB next season. For the record, I am thinking Simmons is probably going to win the FS job but I haven’t even had time to look at his film yet. I reserve the right to change my mind. But I think if the staff takes a transfer, it generally means they think they have a good chance to win a starting job immediately. They must like Simmons a lot. The lack of safeties on the roster surely also was a factor here.

Chestnut and Folk could also be in the mix at the safety positions. I think Chestnut probably starts out at CB. Based only on his HS film, I think Folk is the rover of the future and backs up the senior Coley.

Last edited:
What about our boy Atkinson? I think some have said on here that he has been pretty good in practice? Does he get a crack at the 2 deep at Corner or Safety?