Class of 2021 - DB Kani Walker (GA) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DB Kani Walker (GA) Offered

I was actually somewhat encourage in this game - yes even though we got thumped. The score was 7-3 and we'd just forced them to a 3 and out punt. Sean Riley promptly fumbles the punt giving LVille the ball right back at the 30 yard line and they score on their next snap. It's now 14-3 instead of us having the ball.

The next drive is killer #1 for us. We needed to respond and didn't. We have 2nd and 4 and end up punting. LVill scores again it's 21-3. We then score our own TD and at 21-10 it's still a game. Then we trade punts. Killer #2 for us now happens when LVille takes our punt and scores on a 90 yard pass play to go up 28-10. End 1st half.

I was encouraged by a few things. I liked that our offense moved the ball again coming off the 49 pt output at Duke as new OLine continued to gel. We had 510 yards of offense and only gave up 2 sacks. We came out in the 3rd Q and scored on our first 4 possessions of the 2nd half (24 points). That was really really positive. After intercepting a LVille pass on their 30 yard line we had a chance to make the game either 49-37 or 49-41 and instead we turned the ball over on downs. Not good, but still we were there. Mid 4th we still had a reasonable chance getting the ball back again at 49-34 and turn it over again on downs. I think we were more in the game at times than the 56-34 score indicates.

The other overlooked play was killer #3 when we open the 2nd half with a FG, kickoff and Hassan Hall returns it 70 yards. LVille scores one play later. Just 3 real crushing plays in that game change everything.

Anyhow, our defense got really beat up. Need to rectify that. Our offense started clicking in the last 3 games of the season. We get the offense on track everything changes.
OT - but they basically dare you to catch their speed guys: Cunningham to Dawkins (29 y TD pass); Cunningham 20 yard TD run; Atwell 90 yard TD pass; Cunningham to Davis (29 y TD pass); Hawkins 44 y TD run.

Stopping their speedsters isn't just about better coverage (although that helps). It's all 3 levels ... more pressure on Cunningham; better LB containment on sweeps and dump-offs; and tighter downfield pass coverage. I think we'll be better at LB and secondary. It's the pressure on Cunningham by the DL I'm concerned about. Giving him time/space = disaster.

Last edited:
OT - but they basically dare you to catch their speed guys: Cunningham to Dawkins (29 y TD pass); Cunningham 20 yard TD run; Atwell 90 yard TD pass; Cunningham to Davis (29 y TD pass); Hawkins 44 y TD run.

Stopping their speedsters isn't just about better coverage (although that helps). It's all 3 levels ... more pressure on Cunningham; better LB coverage on sweeps and dump-offs; and tighter downfield pass coverage. I think we'll be better at LB and secondary. It's the pressure on Cunningham by the DL I'm concerned about. Giving him time/space = disaster.

I'd have to go back and watch to be sure, but I recall a lot of blown coverage's in this game. That stuff is very correctable. Hopefully the new defense and a new veteran DB coach rectify this.

Stopping their speedsters isn't just about better coverage (although that helps). It's all 3 levels ... more pressure on Cunningham; better LB containment on sweeps and dump-offs; and tighter downfield pass coverage. I think we'll be better at LB and secondary. It's the pressure on Cunningham by the DL I'm concerned about. Giving him time/space = disaster.
Agree, bottom line we gave up way too many explosive plays. Their scheme caused some confusion. Bad eye discipline and gap integrity were big issues in that game. When your eyes aren't looking at the right place and you lose your leverage, guys with speed will embarrass you.

Last edited:
Along with BC, Louisville game was most frustrating to watch. We had no answer. They ran the ball how ever they wanted. When they passed, guys were wide open. If we had any type of pulse defensively we could have won that game. They couldn't stop us on offense.
We had 2 W-T-F games this year and those were it. I would say excluding the GRob era we never averaged more than 1 per season.

Remember they don't have that humongous O-Line as last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom