DC v SU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DC v SU

What a bunch of morons. DC using it is one of the few things that would keep it relevant. Good job suing over the rights to solely make money off of something fewer and fewer people know or care about guys. Nobody strangles every last bit of life out of tradition like SU.

Who's minding the store, for Pete's sake? I've personally gone on record that the AD's self-imposed boycott of 44, is one of the dumbest self inflicted wounds in college sports history.
And as others have said- one week removed from the LA debacle, we now move on to "SU stupid human trick 2.0"?!

Unreal.

digging self destruct GIF

I like Derrick Coleman more than I like SU.

In fact, I care about SU because of Derrick Coleman and because they’re located in Syracuse.

The students fill a small amount of that Dome and most of those alums move away and rarely return. The city’s support carries this program. Tread lightly, dorks. If I didn’t really like Autry and want him to succeed, I probably already wouldn’t care. I’m loyal to people, not Universities.

Last edited:
Who's to say that DC, as a famous 44 (like Wallace, or the football Gods) doesn't have "secondary meaning" in the number 44 himself, for his own fame for wearing the number? He was a number 1 draft pick, Rookie of the Year, and played on the Dream Team.

Does SU even having a federally registered trademark in the number foreclose anyone's rights to use the number? Secondary use provisions of trademark law would say "no".
I appreciate the expertise. Could an argument be made that the #44 is really only relevant to the public for football?

SU is like every other big time school (see Northwestern for a recent example) tone deaf, isolated and elitist. They have no pulse on how the real world works and reacts. When the academic bubble bursts some people who think very highly of themselves are going to be in for a rude awakening.

I appreciate the expertise. Could an argument be made that the #44 is really only relevant to the public for football?

I think you would make a stronger case for football, but it was 60 years ago that those 3 guys played.
Coleman and John Wallace wore those numbers 25 years later. Arguably, they would have greater recognition among fans who actually saw number 44's play. Both played in NCAA championship games. Both carried us to some of our greatest successes.

So...two things.

First, how is it that SU just didn't quietly resolve this with DC?
Someone in the administration must have his (phone) number.

Second...it seems an argument could be made that for basketball a #44 trademark more likely vests with DC than with SU (assuming DC is using the number in doing some kind of commerce).

It should have never got to this point. What's the harm in having a Zoom call to discuss the matter and working out a deal?

Now we know why Gross needed two cell phones at once!!

I am not an expert on this, though some here are: if they don’t defend unlicensed usage, they can lose the ability to ever defend any unlicensed usage.
An agreement on usage will likely be made.
It’s a number. It’s not the SU name. Just because SU is associated with the number doesn’t grant them any kind of intellectual property ownership of it. If this one was litigated through I bet they lose. But it won’t be

It’s a number. It’s not the SU name. Just because SU is associated with the number doesn’t grant them any kind of intellectual property ownership of it. If this one was litigated through I bet they lose. But it won’t be
A number that Derrick wore for 16 years in the NBA.

SU needs to go sit down somewhere and take a break.

Does the admin want to p/o the majority of fans?

They are clueless on PR and how the public will perceive them from their actions

It should have never got to this point. What's the harm in having a Zoom call to discuss the matter and working out a deal?

People in Bond Schoeneck's TM office think they invented the law. They have a real bully attitude, because they have all the deep-pocketed institutional clients in town.

I like Derrick Coleman more than I like SU.

In fact, I care about SU because of Derrick Coleman and because they’re located in Syracuse.

The students fill a small amount of that Dome and most of those alums move away and rarely return. The city’s support carries this program. Tread lightly, dorks. If I didn’t really like Autry and want him to succeed, I probably already wouldn’t care. I’m loyal to people, not Universities.
Same, well said.

So...two things.

First, how is it that SU just didn't quietly resolve this with DC?
Someone in the administration must have his (phone) number.

Second...it seems an argument could be made that for basketball a #44 trademark more likely vests with DC than with SU (assuming DC is using the number in doing some kind of commerce).
Changing the zip code to 13244 is one of several pieces of evidence the University will or does use.

If the University is worried about setting some sort of precedent then quietly strike a business deal for let's say a dollar a year. No one needs to know the dollar amount.

A number that Derrick wore for 16 years in the NBA.

SU needs to go sit down somewhere and take a break.

Sorry. George McGuire wants to make his money.

I think people may be looking at this a bit backwards. SU is looking to block DC from acquiring a trademark on 44. Does that mean we think DC has a right to OWN the number? Should he be able to sue SU or other entities for trademark infringement if they use it in marketing? What am I missing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom