Class of 2018 - DE Brenton Cox (GA) Transferring from Georgia to Florida | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE Brenton Cox (GA) Transferring from Georgia to Florida

The word going around is that it wasn't anything drug test related as far as I know. Basically Cox is a monster coming off the edge. That's his biggest strength and where he made an impact last year as a true freshman. He wants to be and views himself as an OLB. Kirby wanted him to move down to DE and thought that was best for the team. They didn't agree and things went south and it led to both sides agreeing it was best to go their separate ways.

Speculation at this point but that's the story going around.

The word going around is that it wasn't anything drug test related as far as I know. Basically Cox is a monster coming off the edge. That's his biggest strength and where he made an impact last year as a true freshman. He wants to be and views himself as an OLB. Kirby wanted him to move down to DE and thought that was best for the team. They didn't agree and things went south and it led to both sides agreeing it was best to go their separate ways.

Interesting. If he can move to DE then he's just some straightforward dedication to s&c away from moving inside.

I was thinking it was the opposite.

Problems with marijuana use are common for today's college students. He will need to learn that being a student-athlete makes him more responsible for his conduct, as a student, then even what the "code of student conduct" expects.
Hopefully, he learned from his experience. Looks like a decent prospect.

Problems with marijuana use are common for today's college students. He will need to learn that being a student-athlete makes him more responsible for his conduct, as a student, then even what the "code of student conduct" expects.

Is it a problem though?

Maybe he knew that the J gives the munchies, which are helpful for players trying to gain weight, and really he was just exhibiting an exceptional degree of dedication to s&c so Smart could move him inside.

Maybe he knew that the J gives the munchies, which are helpful for players trying to gain weight, and really he was just exhibiting an exceptional degree of dedication to s&c so Smart could move him inside.

We need to switch Marek over from the unfiltered coffin nails to the J then. :p

It's a problem in that our athletic department has a policy and a violation of that policy can cause us issues with the NCAA!
Bingo! The problem is the athletic department, not cannabis! Frankly, I don't give a damn if he smokes, as long as he doesn't before practices or games. Drinking alcohol is more harmful than most drugs, including prescriptions.

I dunno? To get thrown off the team at a football factory, you have to be pretty "special."

Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason at the factory schools too, sometimes just personality clash between player/coach(es). One guy gets dismissed because he got caught with pot, his buddy starts every game and sexually assaults 3 people (made up story, probably not that made up though). Who the hell knows.

He's going to Florida. Most obvious destination for a lot of reasons (OSU would have been up there too if he had not already burned that bridge). From what I read, the rumor in Athens was that he got into a "fight" with a coach. Don't know what "fight" means, but Kirby's not jettisoning a productive, former 5* soph, because he talked back, imo.

Last edited:
Bingo! The problem is the athletic department, not cannabis! Frankly, I don't give a damn if he smokes, as long as he doesn't before practices or games. Drinking alcohol is more harmful than most drugs, including prescriptions.
Quite frankly, the direction our country is now taking has to be very confusing to many young people. Their specific states may have legalized it's use or decriminalized it. Then they enroll in a college in a state with different rules and perspectives. How can we expect young adults to figure this out when we older folks have yet to do so?

Quite frankly, the direction our country is now taking has to be very confusing to many young people. Their specific states may have legalized it's use or decriminalized it. Then they enroll in a college in a state with different rules and perspectives. How can we expect young adults to figure this out when we older folks have yet to do so?

It doesn’t really matter if it’s legal in your state. It’s still against the ncaa rules and probably team rules. I know if I were coach, no I would not want my team getting high just the same as I wouldn’t want them smoking cigs or vaping and it would be against team rules.

It doesn’t really matter if it’s legal in your state. It’s still against the ncaa rules and probably team rules. I know if I were coach, no I would not want my team getting high just the same as I wouldn’t want them smoking cigs or vaping and it would be against team rules.
Any coach must be able to bring his/her views to a place where it effectively communicates with the young adults that coach is mentoring. Some are able to do this well and some are found lacking. When each student enters the university they are presented with a document called "The code of student conduct"; very few of them actually read it and yet violating aspects of those rules may lead to being removed, from the university. If you look at Frank Howard's behavior last spring and you see how one players ignoring of the drug use policy can negatively impact a team.
My point, in an earlier post was to point out that the NCAA did not mandate us to have the policy we have and that policy, once in place, lead to problems we had with NCAA enforcement.
Coaches attempt to do their best to enforce the rules of the university within their teams; my ultimate point here is team rules don't always prevent issues that can involve NCAA actions. The university must not implement policies that hurt its own teams if they are not specifically mandated.

Any coach must be able to bring his/her views to a place where it effectively communicates with the young adults that coach is mentoring. Some are able to do this well and some are found lacking. When each student enters the university they are presented with a document called "The code of student conduct"; very few of them actually read it and yet violating aspects of those rules may lead to being removed, from the university. If you look at Frank Howard's behavior last spring and you see how one players ignoring of the drug use policy can negatively impact a team.
My point, in an earlier post was to point out that the NCAA did not mandate us to have the policy we have and that policy, once in place, lead to problems we had with NCAA enforcement.
Coaches attempt to do their best to enforce the rules of the university within their teams; my ultimate point here is team rules don't always prevent issues that can involve NCAA actions. The university must not implement policies that hurt its own teams if they are not specifically mandated.

The NCAA routinely conducts random drug tests of all athletes after NCAA/NIT Tournament games.

If you fail an NCAA drug test, you are suspended for a year, your school will have to vacate any games it won (since it used an ineligible player), the school will forfeit any $$$ it earned during the tournament, and the school is ineligible for next year's tournament.

The only way to prevent any "surprises" is for each school to conduct random tests of its own about 2-3 weeks before the NCAA tournament starts.

Of course, the only way a school can conduct its' own tests is if a school has its' own drug test policy in effect.

While it's true that the NCAA does not mandate that schools have a drug test policy, you damn well better have one. Or pray that you've got 13 boy scouts on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom