Class of 2024 - DE Caden Brown (NY) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DE Caden Brown (NY) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/17/23)

I don’t see anything in his skill set that suggest LB. Tough against the run and is a natural pass rusher. Looks like a weak side end to me. He just have to commit to adding weight but I wouldn’t force him to play a position he’s not comfortable with.
Gotcha. His frame looks like a wide out currently. Hopefully he puts in the work and can put on some weight

I don’t see anything in his skill set that suggest LB. Tough against the run and is a natural pass rusher. Looks like a weak side end to me. He just have to commit to adding weight but I wouldn’t force him to play a position he’s not comfortable with.
This.

I get it's part of development and assessment of players but I hate when coaches try to force a square peg in a round hole with kids and positions.

Sometimes a kid is what he is

This.

I get it's part of development and assessment of players but I hate when coaches try to force a square peg in a round hole with kids and positions.

Sometimes a kid is what he is
Look at the Dallas kid, Pearson i believe. Not big at all but egets shiiiit done. Could play anywhere.

This is the kind of guy Will Hicks excels with.

His weight and strength will dictate which position he plays. If he can't get to at least 230 soon for a college ACC caliber DE in a 4-2-5, he becomes a part time pass rusher ala Steve Linton or should quickly learn how to become a LB to be able to see the field or pursue an NFL career.
Im not a fan of having a guy that played with his hands in the dirt his whole life and making him stand up and cover Wr's/TE's in space. Not in this world of offensive schemes. Dude is natural playing on the D line. Just watch his film.

Gotcha. His frame looks like a wide out currently. Hopefully he puts in the work and can put on some weight
He seems to have the frame to put on the weight. With the right nutrition and time in the weight room i could easily see him putting on 30 pounds of good weight in 2 years. I would take him every single time. I mean if he was good enough in the know all eyes of Greg Schiano to play DE in the B10 i think he would be fine in the ACC. I’m sure Rutgers will say he wasn’t a take, too slim.

Fadil Diggs was about 10 pounds heavier than Caden in HS and Diggs was literally a Wr. Sometimes we look at these studs defenders in college and forget they were once 17 year olds that havent been in a true strength program

Last edited:
Im not a fan of having a guy that played with his hands in the dirt his whole life and making him stand up and cover Wr's/TE's in space. Not in this world of offensive schemes. Dude is natural playing on the D line. Just watch his film.
I don't disagree with a word you say..just that ignoring one's weight in a sport where we all know, scouts, teams and coaches look at minimum basic physical statistics before even evaluating their talent. There is a reason any HS football player no matter how successful in HS doesn't even get considered or get offered unless they meet basic measurements. Caden Brown seems to have alot of talent except his weight, and we do know that some people can't put on weight easily and that there is a minimum weight for a DE at a level like ACC to be successful. This points to some basic acceptance of options to consider going forward.

Agree. The Georgia weak side DEs seem to be in the 235-250 range. Caden is not far from that..

Should not be a problem to get there.
Anyone would take that, but to say he is not far from that is not accurate or the Orange colored glasses just kicked in.

He seems to have the frame to put on the weight. With the right nutrition and time in the weight room i could easily see him putting on 30 pounds of good weight in 2 years. I would take him every single time. I mean if he was good enough in the know all eyes of Greg Schiano to play DE in the B10 i think he would be fine in the ACC. I’m sure Rutgers will say he wasn’t a take, too slim.
I never implied he wasn't a take. I feel like some folks are taking this the wrong way. Not a slight against the kid in any way. I was genuinely curious if he might play linebacker for us and if anyone had info one way or the other. I played highschool linebacker at 225 but I also have the opposite of a weight gain issue. Lol. I know some taller guys that put in a lot of work and could only get so big.

I don't disagree with a word you say..just that ignoring one's weight in a sport where we all know, scouts, teams and coaches look at minimum basic physical statistics before even evaluating their talent. There is a reason any HS football player no matter how successful in HS doesn't even get considered or get offered unless they meet basic measurements. Caden Brown seems to have alot of talent except his weight, and we do know that some people can't put on weight easily and that there is a minimum weight for a DE at a level like ACC to be successful. This points to some basic acceptance of options to consider going forward.
I didn’t ignore his weight. I basically said he needs to get to about 240-245 to be playable at DE. I personally wouldn’t put a kid in space when he hasn’t shown the ability to do that.

It’s a lot more common to grab better athletes, add weight to them and put them in a spot to be more explosive at their position. One of many examples is Keith Bullock. He was a HS safety. Some have to gain more than others but this has been common practice since forever. Maybe the would use him as a rush OLB/DE type. That utilizes his skill set more.

I didn’t ignore his weight. I basically said he needs to get to about 240-245 to be playable at DE. I personally wouldn’t put a kid in space when he hasn’t shown the ability to do that.

It’s a lot more common to grab better athletes, add weight to them and put them in a spot to be more explosive at their position. One of many examples is Keith Bullock. He was a HS safety. Some have to gain more than others but this has been common practice since forever. Maybe the would use him as a rush OLB/DE type. That utilizes his skill set more.
Everyone is different and I'd bet he puts on weight. How much...who knows. I remember standing next to Chandler Jones at our spring game when he was a senior in high school. He totally looked like a basketball player. My guess he was 6-5 180. Let's hope Caden can pack a few on.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom