Class of 2021 - DE Elijah Fuentes (NY) Offered | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Elijah Fuentes (NY) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that's true - because the original post/tweet in this thread from Cardinal Hayes congratulates him for receiving his first Power 5 offer from Syracuse University. Would mean they correctly don't consider Rutgers to be a P5 program.

This is Toad's write up from April

Elijah Fuentes (6-3, 270), DL, Cardinal Hayes (Bronx, N.Y.): Fuentes was offered by Rutgers while on an elite junior day visit to the school on Jan. 25. He returned on March 3 to watch the men’s basketball team defeat then-No. 9 ranked Maryland, and was made to feel special throughout his trip. Rutgers is perceived to have taken a demanding lead.

“I enjoyed the bonding and the positive energy around me,” the three-star recruit said at the time. "I also spent time with the players and all of the coaches. Coach Schiano made me feel welcomed and I felt he was being as honest as he can be with me. I feel all the coaches give me the attention I want and I’m thankful for it.”

Fuentes was perceived as close to committing around the time of his second Rutgers trek, but has taken his time. Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse and Kent State have offered since Rutgers, so the additional interest has slowed things some. But, he’s still in range as Rutgers has been front and center with his recruitment since January, and was the first Power 5 program to offer him.

This is Toad's write up from April

Elijah Fuentes (6-3, 270), DL, Cardinal Hayes (Bronx, N.Y.): Fuentes was offered by Rutgers while on an elite junior day visit to the school on Jan. 25. He returned on March 3 to watch the men’s basketball team defeat then-No. 9 ranked Maryland, and was made to feel special throughout his trip. Rutgers is perceived to have taken a demanding lead.

“I enjoyed the bonding and the positive energy around me,” the three-star recruit said at the time. "I also spent time with the players and all of the coaches. Coach Schiano made me feel welcomed and I felt he was being as honest as he can be with me. I feel all the coaches give me the attention I want and I’m thankful for it.”

Fuentes was perceived as close to committing around the time of his second Rutgers trek, but has taken his time. Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse and Kent State have offered since Rutgers, so the additional interest has slowed things some. But, he’s still in range as Rutgers has been front and center with his recruitment since January, and was the first Power 5 program to offer him.
Syracuse offered him on January 9th. Obviously someone doesn't understand that the 9th comes before the 25th.

As opposed to the “R” version:
332A288B-530C-462D-AC98-D6117C60A2D3.gif

What does "demanding lead" mean? Is it anything like a commanding lead?
Maybe the correct pronunciation of lead is "led" instead of "leed".

"Demanding lead": choosing death by firing squad.

i.e. If I had to choose Rutgers, then I might as well choose death by firing squad since playing football for Rutgers equates to my football career being all but dead.

Last edited:
Kid is LEAN for his listed weight and has a good frame, looks like he can add some really good weight and keep his athleticism.

Things I liked from his tape: Uses his hands early and often, which isn't something you always see from high school lineman who are more physically gifted than their opponents. Keeps his eyes upfield and scrapes down the line really well.

Opportunities for improvement. At times displays a good pad level, but from the limited amount of film I watched, it looks like he sometimes gets too high before engaging. At times he gets off the ball well, but on a few of those highlights he was the last D lineman out of his stance.

Mostly played NT in his film, but overall I think he is going to make a great DE in the 3-3-5, who can move inside to play DT/Under Tackle when we go to a 4 man front. Really good get!
Good analysis

I think he could be a fine DE in our 3-3-5 but this kid is a junk yard dog. He is tough and seems to thrive on the contact and hand to hand combat that comes with playing inside.

I think if he gets up to 280-290, he is going to be a beast at NT. I think he stays inside.

I have had him in my top 10 players in NYS in this class for a very long time. Would be a great get.

Last edited:
Once again, Nick Monroe. What can be said about this guy that hasn't already been said. Made up a HUGE gap on BC. Huge regional win for us to beat out peer schools that we need to beat for kids like this.

We've been making some serious inroads in NYC once we moved Swag Daddy there.

Once again, Nick Monroe. What can be said about this guy that hasn't already been said. Made up a HUGE gap on BC. Huge regional win for us to beat out peer schools that we need to beat for kids like this.

But... he's only a two-star.

MAC level recruiting!!!!!

I think he could be a fine DE in our 3-3-5 but this kid is a junk yard dog. He is tough and seems to thrive on the contact and hand to hand combat that comes with playing inside.

I think if he gets up to 280-290, he is going to be a beast at NT. I think he stays inside.

I have had him in my top 10 players in NYS in this class for a very long time. Would be a great get.

Potentially 3 of the top 10 guys in NY, and all on D?
Yes, please! :cool:

Great to see Syracuse land 3 out of the 10.

It should be pointed out the new SU DC Tony White grew up in the Bronx, where Elijah is from, and last I knew, his mom still lives there.

That has to help as well.

There‘s a guy named Chris King playing for Christ the King? That’s like us having a player named Otto Orange (which would be fantastic)

Christ the King - home of our Wendell Alexis. One of my all-time favorite players.
Phat what a great reference. Can't remember the last time I heard his name but I remember Wendell was absolutely automatic with his 5 to 8 ft baseline shots.

Phat what a great reference. Can't remember the last time I heard his name but I remember Wendell was absolutely automatic with his 5 to 8 ft baseline shots.

At the tail end of Wendell's career, it was fun to watch him be the leading scorer on the US Olympic team when the NBA players were on strike.

Think he will be a stud down the road. Reminds me of a young Art Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors