Class of 2018 - DE Fitzroy Gardner (FL) to Iowa Western JUCO | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE Fitzroy Gardner (FL) to Iowa Western JUCO

Plus, we win the name game, Doesn't get better than Fitzroy.
I like his last name, I can just hear Matt Park: Another sack for Fitzroy! Gardner "plants" the QB into the turf again ! John Sterling gets the credit for this one.

I like his last name, I can just hear Matt Park: Another sack for Fitzroy! Gardner "plants" the QB into the turf again ! John Sterling gets the credit for this one.
They can talk weekly on their “Gardner in the Park” podcast.

Haven't heard anyone really talking about him much lately? He still in play or have some kind of issues?

Haven't heard anyone really talking about him much lately? He still in play or have some kind of issues?

May be issues but a couple of those Crystal Ball dudes just picked him to go to SU as of tonight. Have a feeling the ball is cracked again

Yep, JUCO like Jordan.
Didn't he take an official visit? How can he have problems with his eligibility?

You don’t have to be eligible to visit.
I thought you did have to be eligible to take an OV. Isn't that the new rule this year (hence why Akeem Dixon visiting was a big deal and why Jordan didn't visit).

I thought you did have to be eligible to take an OV. Isn't that the new rule this year (hence why Akeem Dixon visiting was a big deal and why Jordan didn't visit).

If that is a new rule I’m not aware of it.

You have to be eligible to sign, if you sign and are not eligible you lose the spot.

If that is a new rule I’m not aware of it.

You have to be eligible to sign, if you sign and are not eligible you lose the spot.
Players have to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center before they take an OV.

Here is the NCAA's FAQ on it: What is an official visit?

Question, not totally familiar with Juco, but is it always a 2 year stint?
If you didn't qualify academically you need to be at JuCo for 2 seasons. Ideally you would graduate in dec and enroll at 4yr school in Jan.

If you had the grades to qualify but landed at JuCo because you didn't get any offers you can accept a 4 yr school scholarship & leave at any time

Players have to register with the NCAA Eligibility Center before they take an OV.

Here is the NCAA's FAQ on it: What is an official visit?
I think not letting kids take an ov if they weren't academically qualified was more of a decision by the staff aimed more at the early signing group. And just because they register with the Eligibility Center doesn't mean they are academically qualified.

I think not letting kids take an ov if they weren't academically qualified was more of a decision by the staff aimed more at the early signing group. And just because they register with the Eligibility Center doesn't mean they are academically qualified.

That makes sense. Still, why would Fitzroy be able to take an OV when other players weren’t? Did he recently become ineligible?

That makes sense. Still, why would Fitzroy be able to take an OV when other players weren’t? Did he recently become ineligible?
You only get a certain amount of OVs to use as a school. It didn't make sense to have a kid that wasn't academically qualified visit in the fall, but this time of year when we're just trying to fill a few spots you can risk it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom