Class of 2018 - DE Fitzroy Gardner (FL) to Iowa Western JUCO | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 DE Fitzroy Gardner (FL) to Iowa Western JUCO

You only get a certain amount of OVs to use as a school. It didn't make sense to have a kid that wasn't academically qualified visit in the fall, but this time of year when we're just trying to fill a few spots you can risk it.

Ok, that makes sense. I read that you had to register, that NLIs count against scholarships, and that staff wasn't letting kids visit if they weren't qualified, and assumed that you had to be qualified to take an OV to Syracuse. So I was surprised to find out that Gardener may not be qualified.

I think if he signed with the juco he is committed for 2 years and any possibility of him enrolling this summer is over? I guess he could sit out a year but i think this ship has sailed until 2020...

I think if he signed with the juco he is committed for 2 years and any possibility of him enrolling this summer is over? I guess he could sit out a year but i think this ship has sailed until 2020...

I don't believe that it has anything to do with "committing," and everything to do with his academic profile, and whether he meets minimum thresholds to qualify. If he does, then he's not obligated to spend any time at the junior college level. If he hasn't fulfilled enough core classes, or his standardized test score isn't high enough on a sliding scale tied to his GPA, then he has to go for the full two years and GRADUATE in order to quality to play at the D1 level.

I don't believe that it has anything to do with "committing," and everything to do with his academic profile, and whether he meets minimum thresholds to qualify. If he does, then he's not obligated to spend any time at the junior college level. If he hasn't fulfilled enough core classes, or his standardized test score isn't high enough on a sliding scale tied to his GPA, then he has to go for the full two years and GRADUATE in order to quality to play at the D1 level.
So whatever letter of intent JUCOs provide is non binding? Or binding unless the student qualifies?

Last edited:
So whatever letter of intent JUCOs provide is non binding? Or binding unless the student qualifies?
The JUCO can always release him from whatever he signed. And perhaps it is a financial aid agreement not an NLI?

I guess he could still be waiting on grades as the schools down here just finished up last week.

Monster class with either of those two included

no chance for Jordan. 0.01% on Gardner

Sucks, but thank you for the update.

Hopefully we've got some capital with both of these guys for down the road.

no chance for Jordan. 0.01% on Gardner

It sucks, but I actually like Howard better as a prospect. So if losing Jordan means we got Howard, then I’m happy.

Have we ever had a recruit verbal to us, then not qualify, go to JUCO, and then still sign with us? Does that happen?

Happened numerous times under Coach P.
GRob, Marrone and Shafer had a bad record for getting JUCO's to come back in 2 years.

My own feeling: Kids going to JUCO...I don't get my hopes up. If one shows up in 2 years...great, but I don't consider them as even future commits.

Jordan was a better prospect. Would have been extremely dynamic.
Howard has the better chance of breaking future Ben Boulware’s in half. So i am appeased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom