Class of 2019 - DE Ishmael Goulbourne (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE Ishmael Goulbourne (FL) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 12/19/18

Enlighten me...he appears to be athletic but also appears to be 30-40 lbs away from seeing the field. A huge risk hoping he can get to 230-240 lbs.

Not to take the well-earned approach of "trust the staff" too readily, I can't help but wonder about this, as others have commented as well. Assuming (which might be incorrect) that he is slotted for DE, then more weight is a must. But in the past we had to take a few leaps of faith. This staff? Maybe it is a calculated gamble, but I think they see something they can work with that will yield results. You have to love the speed aspect, but Elmore would pancake him in practice...unless he is too quick. We shall see, I guess.

He could become a hybrid edge guy between OLB and DE. He tracks the ball extremely well and moves like a glove to the ball carrier.

Ignoring his pro stint, think Dion Jordan out of Oregon. 6’6 215 when recruited.

He could become a hybrid edge guy between OLB and DE. He tracks the ball extremely well and moves like a glove to the ball carrier.

Ignoring his pro stint, think Dion Jordan out of Oregon. 6’6 215 when recruited.
Burns at Florida St was 215-220 as a true freshman and he played. He used his speed his freshman year and then bulked up his sophomore and junior years. I think Goulbourne will be fine once he gets in the strength and conditioning program.

Enlighten me...he appears to be athletic but also appears to be 30-40 lbs away from seeing the field. A huge risk hoping he can get to 230-240 lbs.

Doesn't seem like much of a risk to me -- this kid excelled playing at a very high level of Florida high school football. Agree that he has to add weight. Let's see how that shakes out, and what role the coaches define for him.

Doesn't seem like much of a risk to me -- this kid excelled playing at a very high level of Florida high school football. Agree that he has to add weight. Let's see how that shakes out, and what role the coaches define for him.
Yeah if the guy is the athlete he seems to be but can't put weight on, there's still a place on the field for him.

Yeah if the guy is the athlete he seems to be but can't put weight on, there's still a place on the field for him.
Surprised for those are concerned he will not be able to put absolutely no weight on. Zero? Modern weight training and nutrition will help him put some significant weight on but the question for me is how much. Starting at 200 lbs is pretty low. Some body types can put on 15-20 others more. I'm not concerned because minimum he'l put on is 20 or so and he becomes an OLB, more like 40-50 he becomes a DE. Most likely he'll start as a OLB in 2-3 yrs and be a lighter DE in 4-5.

These are the kids we have always needed to get.

Keith Bulluck was a safety who grew into playing LB, and was a first round NFL pick.

Some of them might be duds, but need to take at least a couple high ceiling, low floor type players every year if you're a program like Syracuse.

I think he'll add the weight but I think it's going to take a while. Very thin frame but the kid is just built for speed. When he adds the lean mass, with the type of leverage he'll be able to create with his length, there is just no good answer to this guy coming off the edge.

Athletic, fast guys find ways to get on the field. Maybe he ends up at DE on obvious passing downs, maybe he plays LB. I'm not worried about it. We're not talking about a guy playing football in upstate NY without the measurables that get some people excited. Kid can play football, he'll find a way to get on the field in a couple years.

He made it.

So this means we have everyone for this class? This staff is much better at taking commitments from kids that will actually make it here better than previous staffs.
It’s so nice to have a real coaching staff now.
There's much more incentive not to - if a kid signs a NLI and doesn't qualify, you lose the scholarship. Not sure if it's for the year or for four years, but there is a penalty now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom