Class of 2021 - DE Jatius Geer (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 DE Jatius Geer (SC) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/16/20)

Who knows how he develops or where they'll slot him ... but to me his hudl screams DL (not DE). He's already 6'5 250. Those are Slaytonesque numbers. From his film he has good feet and powerful legs but not as developed in the upper body ... (S/C). My WAG is that they RS him, build strength (good weight) ... and turn this cat into a beast.
We will see how he develops. I personally think he is perfect for the 5 and 4 technique. He can be hard to deal with there. Getting him at 275 pounds while keeping his explosiveness would be ideal.

I gotta look at the numbers. It isn't clear to me who is now considered a DE and who is considered an LB. I think several players that were listed as DEs are now LBs.

If that holds, yes, we probably still need DL. It was a position of need that was largely addressed last year but with the change in scheme, we probably still need numbers here. Will try and take a more detailed look over the weekend...this is just off the top of my head.
Thank you for the information

Dear Jatius,

1593728747530.jpeg

Keep building our lines!!

Excellent!

Athletes, athletes, athletes. Class is shaping up nicely, despite what some choose to believe. Players like Geer will go a LONG way toward us competing in the trenches against the top teams in our conference.

Who knows how he develops or where they'll slot him ... but to me his hudl screams DL (not DE). He's already 6'5 250. That's a Slaytonesque frame. From his film he has good feet and powerful legs but not as developed in the upper body ... (S/C). My WAG is that they RS him, build strength (good weight) ... and turn this cat into a beast.
Agreed... pretty good take.

As most know the Top 15-20 teams have great depth among the elephants and rhinos. Cuse usually doesn't...this helps. Convince Rooks to wear Orange and we are in great shape.

espn's did his rating. They gave him a 76 grade. That puts Geer tops in the class right now.
Cool. If Justin Lamson verbals tomorrow, the class now goes from 52nd to 44th. Lamson would become our 3rd highest rated recruit.

I checked to see what the impact would be if Jason Henderson verbaled. Check this out as another great example of how screwed up the rating systems are:

He is rated as our highest recruit by 247. Awesome. He should help our class ranking big time!

But he Isn’t even in the database for ESPN. He IS in the Rivals database but they still haven’t gotten around to assigning him a rating. No offer from Rutgers. Is that a coincidence?

Anyway, because he has no rating for ESPN and Rivals, he has a 0 rating overall and adding him won’t help our class rating at all.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
A low 2 star too. To me that's basically saying he is a FCS player.

I thought that 2 stars meant that a player hadn't been evaluated yet.

Cool. If Justin Lamson verbals tomorrow, the class now goes from 52nd to 44th. Lamson would become our 3rd highest rated recruit.

I checked to see what the impact would be if Jason Henderson verbaled. Check this out as another great example of how screwed up the rating systems are:

He is rated as our highest recruit by 247. Awesome. He should help our class ranking big time!

But he Isn’t even in the database for ESPN. He IS in the Rivals database but they still haven’t gotten around to assigning him a rating. No offer from Rutgers. Is that a coincidence?

Anyway, because he has no rating for ESPN and Rivals, he has a 0 rating overall and adding him won’t help our class rating at all.

Unbelievable.
Espn needs to rate Lamson too. It could be higher after that.

Last edited:
Am told by a plugged-in friend in South Carolina that Geer's high school (BHP) has a rock solid program.

FWIW, Kendall Joseph of Clemson went to BHP and was a well above-grade ACC player as a 2-time 3rd-team All-ACC Linebacker and eventual team Captain. Here is Joseph's final Clemson bio:
Team leader who completed his Clemson career with 306 tackles, 23.5 tackles for loss, 8.0 sacks, 39 quarterback pressures, two interceptions for 37 yards, four pass breakups, four caused fumbles and a recovered fumble in 2,410 snaps over 48 games (40 starts) … earned team awards for dependability and unselfishness in addition to being an NSCA Strength All-America nominee … entered 2018 ranked as the No. 57 player in the nation in the preseason by Sports Illustrated and No. 99 player by NFL.com.

The class is really coming together! In dino I trust. I am expecting more great news today!

Really happy we're getting lots of linemen. We've been close on a couple promising QBs. We need to close on one of them, like this California kid. I like that running back, too. He's a BIG kid, runs people over. We could use one of those.

Finally got around to watching some film on this kid. Long and high cut frame I almost feel bad for him tucked down into a three point stance, he is all legs. Good movement for his size and lack of mass, twitchy and sinewy strength. Good first step and violent hands, he's unblockable when he gets his arms extended on the outside, just creates too much space and bends right around the outside. Has a nasty streak that I really like, isn't content to level ball carriers which he is capable of, he wants to humiliate them (repeatedly drags guys backwards and then flings them down).

This kid has a ton of upside. Needs to work hard in the weight room to add mass. Has the frame and athleticism to grow into a high level player. Would like to see him work on spreading out to lower his hips in his stance and improving first step mechanics. If his development breaks the right way this kid could be a nightmare for opposing tackles.

Syracuse defensive end commit Jatius Geer is one of the most underrated players in the Orange's 2021 class. He played in only six games this season, but racked up nine sacks, 30 tackles for loss and 61 total tackles. Geer will be a really good one at Syracuse.

In the discussion for the most underrated of Syracuse football's commits in the 2021 class is defensive end Jatius Geer. He finished his senior season with nine sacks, 30 tackles for loss and 61 tackles, all in just six games. Geer also said he has solidified his plans to sign early with Syracuse. More good news for Syracuse on the recruiting front. Geer is going to be a really good one for the Orange.