Class of 2019 - DE Smith Vilbert (NJ) Committed to PSU | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 DE Smith Vilbert (NJ) Committed to PSU

I know people are going to hate this but if you get a chance you really need to go to a home Penn State game. The atmposhere is insane and tailgating is above average.
When you get a kid to come into a stadium with 100k ppl it's pretty hard to compete with that...

Ya, I Went to Florida at Tennessee in 2000 and they both were in the top 10. My buddy got me on the field about 15 minutes before kickoff for a minute and I was blown away by 102,000 crazies in orange at Neyland stadium. Completely different animal from the big east and big 12 venues I’ve been to.

I still say the Dome when I was a kid in late 80,s and 90’s was louder FWIW.

Last edited:
I still say bye end of year it woulda been different with our lb s coming downhill. That game still pissseeeeeessssssss me off on how ward didn’t fix it sooner. We were clearly a better team with bad defensive calls. Kills me.
The biggest problem last year was finding a position for Cordy. That was where the 4-2-5 came from. When we realized that didn't work well, Ward went back to the 4-3 with Shy.

The biggest problem last year was finding a position for Cordy. That was where the 4-2-5 came from. When we realized that didn't work well, Ward went back to the 4-3 with Shy.
We still played 4-2-5 without Cordy and we did play the 4-3 from the start of the season. Inserting Shy into the line up was the big change.

If I was a player, I'd be more concerned with getting on the field than how many people are watching.

I would agree. This is why I think it's all about money. That large fan base is important in terms of the extra money they make available to recruits directly or indirectly.

Stritz played a bunch in the West Virginia game because we were playing a 4-2-5 and he was taking Cordy's spot. It's all about matching up with scheme.

If I was a player, I'd be more concerned with getting on the field than how many people are watching.
You missed my point
I was just talking about how the atmosphere really draws the players to the school.
Clearly kids are going to look at where they are going to play earlier but is clearly not a huge concern for a lot of kids, otherwise Rutgers would have had the real best recruiting class ;)

Every played recruited by a D-1 school believes they are talented enough to play in the NFL and will be a 3-year starter wherever they go. They have zero concerns with getting on the field in their minds. It's not until they arrive, that they understand they aren't as hot stuff as they thought and, for many, it comes down to work ethic. I think that is the reason you seem to see more "impact" transfers according to stars.

I recruited NAIA baseball and every kid I recruited thought they were going to pro ball after college. Whether I was recruiting you b/c you were a stud or because I saw you as a useful complimentary piece.

I know people are going to hate this but if you get a chance you really need to go to a home Penn State game. The atmposhere is insane and tailgating is above average.
When you get a kid to come into a stadium with 100k ppl it's pretty hard to compete with that...
We competed with that in the 90s when we had 47-48,000 in the Dome.

Right but in the Clemson game u could tell our backers were either stepping back or waiting until they saw run which after the backup came in What do u expect. Now bye time Pitt game we were all in an uproar as to why the guys on obvious run downs not taking 3 forward steps and figure run and if pass drop to their hook curl are and look for ball but instead we kept doing same thing as Clemson game and we were not an aggressive defense at lb at all. Then I hear bam say that coaches told the boys to be more aggressive to los and I was extatic. Kids play freely when they are aggressive. More instinctive. Guthrie and Shy took to it naturally. Whitner is as aggressive and he became more of the guy who could do everything type and bye end of year we were a new team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom