Class of 2024 - DE/TE KingJoseph Edwards (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/19/23) | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 DE/TE KingJoseph Edwards (GA) COMMITTED / SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE (12/19/23)

Even a consistent 9-10 win team in Syracuse is not selling out a 49k capacity for every game. It's just not a realistic expectation.
The 90s were a snapshot of that ( 8-10 wins usually) We didn’t sell out every game but avg attendance for those years was in the high 40s, and many games were virtual sell outs.

Have you lived in transplant heavy areas since moving?

To be clear, for the most part, people are still nice. But they let me know I'm a yankee and act surprised I haven't changed all of my allegiances to all things Tennessee. If you've lived near bigger cities, I wonder if that's different too. Knoxville still has a lot of old south feel. It's amazing how much advertising for local businesses panders to things being "down home, small town, and southern."
I lived in the Atlanta metro and then rural GA over a 9 year period and never had that experience. With that being said my gf is a Vols fan so I have to deal with that.

Have you lived in transplant heavy areas since moving?

To be clear, for the most part, people are still nice. But they let me know I'm a yankee and act surprised I haven't changed all of my allegiances to all things Tennessee. If you've lived near bigger cities, I wonder if that's different too. Knoxville still has a lot of old south feel. It's amazing how much advertising for local businesses panders to things being "down home, small town, and southern."

"Southern" is a cultural identity. There is not another section of the country that as a whole, that does that.

Anyone not a southerner is by default, "other"and viewed with a wary eye.

My personal opinion is getting their ass kicked in the 1860s left a mark so deep it comes up as insecurity in southerners generations later. They all have that , "you think your better than me?" chip on their shoulder.

I lived in the Atlanta metro and then rural GA over a 9 year period and never had that experience. With that being said my gf is a Vols fan so I have to deal with that.
I've lived outside Atlanta for close to 30 years now. Like you, I never had an issue. I do remember going to Stone Mountain my first week down here and back then you would see a ton of rednecks driving around the park with confederate flags. Then you had me driving around with my NY plates, I was wondering where the hell I moved to. I never see anything like that nowadays. Times change.

"Southern" is a cultural identity. There is not another section of the country that as a whole, that does that.

My personal opinion is getting their ass kicked in the 1860s left a mark so deep it comes up as insecurity in southerners generations later. They all have that , "you think your better than me?" chip on their shoulder.
Funny I see the same behavior in northerners … just read this board at times.

Attachments

• 1FAD2E7B-E475-4DE6-AA7E-AB29EC936AB4.jpeg
    1FAD2E7B-E475-4DE6-AA7E-AB29EC936AB4.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 167

New England is very provincial

Have you lived in transplant heavy areas since moving?Charles

My brother and sister-in-law took a trip ttrogh North & South Carolina to look for possible places to retire. When they were in places without a lot of transplants, the locals let them know that they knew they were Northerners whose presence wasn't appreciated. If they move there, it will be to a place with a lot of Northerners, or a tourist center like Charleston.

Even a consistent 9-10 win team in Syracuse is not selling out a 49k capacity for every game. It's just not a realistic expectation.
I wouldn’t say it’s an expectation but I can see it being realistic. The few times we’ve shown hope, they’ve packed that place out. People are starving for football, they just are sick of constantly being let down.

My brother and sister-in-law took a trip ttrogh North & South Carolina to look for possible places to retire. When they were in places without a lot of transplants, the locals let them know that they knew they were Northerners whose presence wasn't appreciated. If they move there, it will be to a place with a lot of Northerners, or a tourist center like Charleston.
Carrboro, NC. adjacent to Chapel Hill.

Well, you have to temper that. When we started out 6-0 two seasons ago, there were 3 or 4 games at home that were electric. Never seen or heard a better atmosphere, including a couple effective sell-outs.

But even with a 9 or 10 win season, two or three of those home games are going to be against punching bag teams, and I'm sorry, but people don't care so much to see us pummel a Division 2 team by 50 points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom