Dear american football... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

Why can't you be a part of baseball with your kid by playing catch, pitching to them or hitting them grounders? I don't see the "hick" element. Much more fun than teaching your kid how to flop if someone brushes past you.

Because it's always fair to compare the best part of one sport with the worst part of another...

I'm sorry, I forgot the US ever took the world cup so seriously. My deepest apologies.

I agree you cannot compare the national team's popularity in the biggest worldwide tournament held once every 4 years and start comparing popularity to the average NBA game. Not sure it is even fair to compare it to an NBA finals game - that is how rare the US playing in the World Cup is. It is just supply and demand. I expect the WC will give the MLS needle a nice boost, which had already been steadily growing.

Having said all that - I remember when the US lost to Iran in 1998. I was so angry, I had to blow off steam and went for a walk around the upper west side. No one on the street was aware a game had just been played, and certainly no one seemed to give a . There was zero atmosphere for it - no jerseys being worn, and very limited media coverage.

Today - it is all over every media outlet as the, or one of the, top stories. I watched the game in a packed bar on the promenade in Santa Monica, which was raucous from start to finish. As I walked out, there were disappointed faces and USA jerseys pouring out of every bar and restaurant. The change over the last 16 years is so profound that I think it is foolish for anyone to make any predictions about where it is heading.

It would be real interesting if the MLS has the guts to let NYC FC expand its payroll and go all Yankees on the MLS. I am not smart enough to know whether it would kill the league or not, but the idea of a world class NYC based club with deep pockets to attract intl superstar talent is intriguing. I know I am going to hear a lot of comparisons to the Cosmos of old, but the world has changed dramatically since that time - and having a champions-league type club in the US is the obvious next step. Not sure how it can happen however with the current MLS structure.

Wasn't comparing them in terms of popularity. I was comparing them in the sense that both have grown over the last 20 years. Those east coast prep kids are making their way out to the Midwest and beyond.
The growth comparison isn't even close though. I know lax has grown a lot, but soccer went from being a fringe sport to being one of the MAJOR sports in the country, with a league that offers huge contracts (not for all players obviously), youth academies, and weekly prime time appearances on ESPN. Lax has a pro league that is barely hanging on.

Why can't you be a part of baseball with your kid by playing catch, pitching to them or hitting them grounders? I don't see the "hick" element. Much more fun than teaching your kid how to flop if someone brushes past you.

I help coach. I played. It is still incredibly boring to play and even more so to watch. I do love my red sox games, but I used to watch 90% of them and attend probably 30 a year - now I watch 5, go to 2.

In new England kids baseball is all pick up trucks and gun racks in the parking lot at the baseball games - just a different crowd than for basketball/soccer at the scholastic level. In places like Brooklyn you have the Dominicans and other latin American demographics who are still into it - but they are WAY more into soccer.

Hrm, what are they talking about on espnradio right now... "you will start to see young kids say, 'I wanna be like Green, I wanna be that guy' and they will want to play soccer over football and basketball"

Edit- just realized I'm an hour behind on espnradio. but still. lol

I agree you cannot compare the national team's popularity in the biggest worldwide tournament held once every 4 years and start comparing popularity to the average NBA game. Not sure it is even fair to compare it to an NBA finals game - that is how rare the US playing in the World Cup is. It is just supply and demand. I expect the WC will give the MLS needle a nice boost, which had already been steadily growing.

Having said all that - I remember when the US lost to Iran in 1998. I was so angry, I had to blow off steam and went for a walk around the upper west side. No one on the street was aware a game had just been played, and certainly no one seemed to give a . There was zero atmosphere for it - no jerseys being worn, and very limited media coverage.

Today - it is all over every media outlet as the, or one of the, top stories. I watched the game in a packed bar on the promenade in Santa Monica, which was raucous from start to finish. As I walked out, there were disappointed faces and USA jerseys pouring out of every bar and restaurant. The change over the last 16 years is so profound that I think it is foolish for anyone to make any predictions about where it is heading.

It would be real interesting if the MLS has the guts to let NYC FC expand its payroll and go all Yankees on the MLS. I am not smart enough to know whether it would kill the league or not, but the idea of a world class NYC based club with deep pockets to attract intl superstar talent is intriguing. I know I am going to hear a lot of comparisons to the Cosmos of old, but the world has changed dramatically since that time - and having a champions-league type club in the US is the obvious next step. Not sure how it can happen however with the current MLS structure.
Extremely well said. As far as NYC FC goes, signing Villa and being owned by the same folks who own Manchester City is a huge start. Having Beckham getting involved as an owner is massive as well. Lends serious credibility to the league among internationals.

The growth comparison isn't even close though. I know lax has grown a lot, but soccer went from being a fringe sport to being one of the MAJOR sports in the country, with a league that offers huge contracts (not for all players obviously), youth academies, and weekly prime time appearances on ESPN. Lax has a pro league that is barely hanging on.

When does the next TV deal co me up for MLS? It seems like they need some help from both a media and a marketing perspective. you need to get salaries up to convince good players to play here...that takes media money not just ticket sales. I agree the sport is surging and in 20 years it will probably be no. 3 sport...but that timelien could be accelerated by 10 years with some intelligent maneuvering on the tv front.

MLS can't let that happen with NYC FC. That model is what busted the NASL, having the Cosmos and then every other team bankrupting themselves trying to keep up with the Cosmos. I think MLS can loosen the strings a bit, but it should do so incrementally and strategically as the league grows. Even though soccer is growing, it's still a delicate balance.

When does the next TV deal co me up for MLS? It seems like they need some help from both a media and a marketing perspective. you need to get salaries up to convince good players to play here...that takes media money not just ticket sales. I agree the sport is surging and in 20 years it will probably be no. 3 sport...but that timelien could be accelerated by 10 years with some intelligent maneuvering on the tv front.
I don't know, but NBC just signed a $250m deal to broadcast EPL games, so as the sport continues to grow and we have more homegrown talent and MLS gets better, you have to imagine it's going to generate a high price tag.

And MLS now as compared to 20 years ago is such a night and day difference. It was so bad when it started and now it's arguably a top 7-8 or so league in the world in terms of quality.

I help coach. I played. It is still incredibly boring to play and even more so to watch. I do love my red sox games, but I used to watch 90% of them and attend probably 30 a year - now I watch 5, go to 2.

In new England kids baseball is all pick up trucks and gun racks in the parking lot at the baseball games - just a different crowd than for basketball/soccer at the scholastic level. In places like Brooklyn you have the Dominicans and other latin American demographics who are still into it - but they are WAY more into soccer.

I used to watch pretty much every Yanks game, I watch a few a year now. Now I think part of that is related to getting older, when you play the sports there's a natural interest to follow it as well, pretty much like any hobby - the more active you are, the more interested you tend to be. At least that's what I noticed with me. I stopped playing street hockey and my interest in hockey waned, I don't even watch it at all anymore. When I played basketball I was really interested in the NBA, I catch a game or two here or there now. My interest in SU is what has kept me very interested in SU Football and Basketball.

I'm obviously a soccer fan. I also love baseball. I don't watch many baseball games, which is impacted in large part because my team (Nats) is never on in my state (Texas). That said - I would be more likely to watch a soccer game than even a Nats game, save for the playoffs, because it's just more exciting.

I love baseball, but what cracks me up is that teams take 3 hours to warm up. Meanwhile, soccer players run for 90+ minutes and don't start to warm up until, at most, 90 minutes before game time.

Just a pet peeve of an SID who covers both sports.

Yep. Nailed it. Baseball players (maybe excluding pitchers) 'warming up?' Really?!

Soccer will never ever replace football...

And I love soccer

Trueblue25 said:
The day american kids put down baseball mitts and the pig skin for soccer balls is the day I consider moving out

You'll need to move out. Since 2008 youth participation in football, basketball and baseball has decreased while soccer has remained level or increased.

I watch soccer (as many games as possible) during the World Cup, and the Olympics. There is something so compelling about a global competition. But I wouldn't go out of my way to watch an MLS game.

Soccer will never ever replace football...

And I love soccer
That's bold. The head injuries in football could easily make it a replaceable sport. Moms don't want their kids playing a game that leaves them mentally impaired in 20 years.

But I wouldn't go out of my way to watch an MLS game.

Me neither. I'll occasionally watch one on TV, like when Seattle and Portland play and it would be fun to go to a game at the right venue, but I can't get attached to MLS for some reason.

I can't get enough of EPL, though. I can watch that all week.

Me neither. I'll occasionally watch one on TV, like when Seattle and Portland play and it would be fun to go to a game at the right venue, but I can't get attached to MLS for some reason.

I can't get enough of EPL, though. I can watch that all week.
I actually watch more MLS than EPL. It gets really exciting sometimes. The atmospheres are great, too. I've been to a couple FC Dallas games and I went to the MLS championship back in...2006, maybe? Whenever it was in Dallas...and it's so much fun in person.

I am not talking about popularity of basketball versus soccer in the US. Obviously, basketball is the #2 sport in the country. I'm just saying soccer is on the verge of taking the #3 spot and people who don't like soccer are dismissing that fact.

Soccer will only put franchises in cities where it will do well (which is fine, and very smart). The other sports have expanded quite a bit - which I would imagine waters down the numbers as they head into markets that are a bit less passionate historically (or have no history).

If you pulled all the southern teams out of hockey, would that make hockey the number two sport statistically by attendance????

I used to think soccer would thrive here, grew up playing, love it - but it won't. Although every four years we will hear that it will.

You'll need to move out. Since 2008 youth participation in football, basketball and baseball has decreased while soccer has remained level or increased.

Soccer has been the most popular sport by youth participation for a very long time. (I know you're not arguing that it wasn't or isn't) Still hasn't translated much into viewership - maybe it will. Who knows.

In two years time I think people will forget all about this...

That's bold. The head injuries in football could easily make it a replaceable sport. Moms don't want their kids playing a game that leaves them mentally impaired in 20 years.
Good point. However, it seems like football is more in the american blood. It sortive a tradition.

That is my next purchase. It will help me understand game play, rules, learn players, all that jazz. I have 2 hours a night in between me getting home from work, and the wife getting home from the gym. Its FIFA time.
Ps4? If so hit up srgtkris and prepare to get wrecked!