Dear american football... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dear american football...

Not for nothing, but the sales of FIFA '14 (Video game) destroyed sales of Madden. Absolutely destroyed them. There's a huge interest in soccer. Great, welcome renaissance. Best way to gauge interest is to see what folks are spending their money on.

This is a ridiculous argument...sales of Halo crushed them both, what does that prove? Nothing, other that people like video games about soccer.

Also, comparing the world cup where players and teams are playing for God and country skews all the rating numbers as well as attendance.

I don't watch soccer, ever unless the world cup is on. World cup soccer is like Olympic hockey in every way shape or form with regard to it's appeal to the average American. That is the only fair comparison that you can make.

It is estimated that there are 13 million people play soccer at some level in the US. There are only 598K registered hockey players and coaches in the US. Yet hockey is still more popular here that soccer.

High School numbers are in the link and soccer is third which means what? Nothing, nobody is interested in watching the sport even if they play it recreationally or at some level otherwise these high numbers would correlate to ratings or attendance in some way but they don't.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/football-top-sport-us-1088158-high-school-players

Same thing happened with fans in 94 when we hosted the cup, then what...3 years of irrelevance like Olympic hockey.

Last edited:
there are more concussion issues in soccer than fball right now..
If that is a serious issue, maybe down the line one only allows headers in the box. I'm no fan of two guys climbing up the others back in mid-field anyway. You could call a foul on 80% of those.

If that is a serious issue, maybe down the line one only allows headers in the box. I'm no fan of two guys climbing up the others back in mid-field anyway. You could call a foul on 80% of those.
the girls are getting multiple concussions now.. same thing with knee injuries . our HS had a couple concussion issues with the fball and more than half a dozen with soccer. more games per week too doesnt help

Oh God, not the every-four-years pro-soccer idiocy.

At least we won't have to listen to it for another four years.

Rinse and repeat.

This is a ridiculous argument...sales of Halo crushed them both, what does that prove? Nothing, other that people like video games about soccer.

Also, comparing the world cup where players and teams are playing for God and country skews all the rating numbers as well as attendance.

I don't watch soccer, ever unless the world cup is on. World cup soccer is like Olympic hockey in every way shape or form with regard to it's appeal to the average American. That is the only fair comparison that you can make.

It is estimated that there are 13 million people play soccer at some level in the US. There are only 598K registered hockey players and coaches in the US. Yet hockey is still more popular here that soccer.

High School numbers are in the link and soccer is third which means what? Nothing, nobody is interested in watching the sport even if they play it recreationally or at some level otherwise these high numbers would correlate to ratings or attendance in some way but they don't.
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/football-top-sport-us-1088158-high-school-players

Same thing happened with fans in 94 when we hosted the cup, then what...3 years of irrelevance like Olympic hockey.

This has got to be the dumbest post in what has otherwise been a mostly intelligent thread. Where to even begin. How in the hell does the World Cup in any way skew attendance numbers for MLS? Explain that one to me please.

I'm not a soccer fan nor am I a soccer hater. I'm kind of meh about the whole thing. I always follow the men's national team but that's really about it. Maybe it's partly because I have no rooting interest in anyone but the U.S. I'm 30 years old and not really interested in finding any new teams to root for. And I could really give two s**ts about the EPL or any other league thousands of miles away.

There are things I like about soccer and there are things I strongly dislike. I understand the game and the rules and how it's played, there are just a lot of things unappealing about it to me as well.

As for soccer's popularity in the US - surely no one can deny that it is increasing. However, pointing out the number of youth soccer players does nothing for me. A large percentage of these youth leagues are just kids running around kicking the ball around. There's not a considerable amount of coaching. Many of the kids aren't necessarily huge soccer fans. Their parents roll a ball out and hope they burn some energy for an hour or two.

Every 4 years we hear about how this is the time that soccer is going to explode in this country - and then it doesn't happen. Does it get more popular? Sure. And I think it will continue to become more popular, incrementally. But talk of it rivaling football in popularity is way way way premature. And as our fearless leader Mr. Jim Boeheim is quoted: "premature anything is never good."

How does the World Cup skew MLS attendance? Explain that one to me please.

As for '94, hosting the World Cup is what led to the formation of MLS in the first place. And each subsequent World Cup has resulted in exponentially increased TV ratings, as have the European Championship.

This has got to be the dumbest post in what has otherwise been a mostly intelligent thread. Where to even begin. How in the hell does the World Cup in any way skew attendance numbers for MLS? Explain that one to me please.

Please begin...

When did I mention that it skewed numbers in the MLS? Reading comprehension, nowhere in my post did I mention the MLS, if so where?

The point was that a tournament held every 4 years is more akin to Olympic Hockey that it is to any other sport mentioned in this thread. Not sure what you were thinking. You can't compare a tournament that is played every 4 years for National pride to Seattle vs. WhoGivesA$h!t city every year in ratings, popularity or attendance.

What "exponential" ratings if you want to get technical about each other's posts? Has there EVER been a world cup in the US that has even doubled the ratings of the previous?? Answer no, guess exponential went out the window by it's definition.

The point about 94 had nothing to do with the MLS. And BTW, the MLS was founded in 93 not 94 and was because the US was going to host the WC in 94 and had absolutely nothing to do with ratings or popularity as to why it was created.

I prefer Australian (Rules) Football to soccer. Just sayin'

That being said I don't hate soccer or criticize. To each their own. Hey one of my favorite sports is Formula One. Doing a world comparison I bet it dwarfs NASCAR. Do you see me complaining?

Last edited:
I'd be a bit worried if I were you. This wasn't some "oh, how cute a soccer game is on" moment for the american sports fan. This was a "holy cow, this is freaking great" tournament.

Add this to the concussion issue and I think there's legit reason for concern.

Some 10 year old future Bo Jackson might choose soccer with a nudge from mom and dad.
I listened to about 5 minutes of today's game on the radio while driving my car to the garage for a repair. That's the most I have ever watched or listened to soccer in my life.

Good point. However, it seems like football is more in the american blood. It sortive a tradition.
I'm just speaking off personal experience. I didn't enjoy football much to begin with, but my mom was so happy when I decided to play baseball three out of four seasons (basketball was the other season) than my one fall of playing organized football.

Please begin...

When did I mention that it skewed numbers in the MLS? Reading comprehension, nowhere in my post did I mention the MLS, if so where?

The point was that a tournament held every 4 years is more akin to Olympic Hockey that it is to any other sport mentioned in this thread. Not sure what you were thinking. You can't compare a tournament that is played every 4 years for National pride to Seattle vs. WhoGivesA$h!t city every year in ratings, popularity or attendance.

What "exponential" ratings if you want to get technical about each other's posts? Has there EVER been a world cup in the US that has even doubled the ratings of the previous?? Answer no, guess exponential went out the window by it's definition.

The point about 94 had nothing to do with the MLS. And BTW, the MLS was founded in 93 not 94 and was because the US was going to host the WC in 94 and had absolutely nothing to do with ratings or popularity as to why it was created.
The only time attendance has been mentioned at all in this thread was in reference to MLS outdrawing NBA, so there's no other reason to bring that up as something being skewed, now is there? Also, if you had bothered to look at the link I posted earlier, you would have seen clear data to support the ratings claims made in this thread. As for MLS, it was founded because of an agreement with FIFA that brought the '94 cup to the USA and the league has thrived since.

You just want to be part of the anti-soccer crowd with Ann Coulter who want to scream "Soccer sucks and nobody likes it" while ignoring the pile of data that proves otherwise. The only argument being made in this thread that "nobody likes soccer" is "Well my friends can't name any soccer players, so nobody likes it," which isn't exactly the best exercise of the scientific method.

Last edited:
The only time attendance has been mentioned at all in this thread was in reference to MLS outdrawing NBA, so there's no other reason to bring that up as something being skewed, now is there?

I didn't bring it up in relation to the MLS but mu point still holds up even under that argument. Again, the point was that there is no comparison, which is still the case.

Edit: For the record popularity was mentioned, attendance and ratings compared to other leagues including the NBA, Baseball, Hockey, Lacrosse as well as the NFL were used to prove/disprove the arguments on both sides.

Soccer will get close to football in popularity in about 30 years. The US demographics support it. Do you think all the Hispanics entering the USA like football? No my friends, they do not.

Go to a Texans game and tell me that. Hispanics love football here in Texas.

Yeah, let's not ignore that the US matches this World Cup have been absolutely decimating WatchESPN records. Not just for soccer, either. For any non-American football sports.

Part of the reason for that is that the games have been in the afternoon when folks are at work.

Part of the reason for that is that the games have been in the afternoon when folks are at work.
Not all of them. But even so, the USA/Portugal game, between ABC and Univision numbers, had well over 20 million viewers.

I'd be a bit worried if I were you. This wasn't some "oh, how cute a soccer game is on" moment for the american sports fan. This was a "holy cow, this is freaking great" tournament.

Add this to the concussion issue and I think there's legit reason for concern.

Some 10 year old future Bo Jackson might choose soccer with a nudge from mom and dad.

Did you copy and paste this post from four years ago? I kid, I kid. But seriously, the NFL is an absolute animal. Soccer got big ratings for a once every four years tournament and it still pales in comparison to the Super Bowl.

Oh God, not the every-four-years pro-soccer idiocy.

At least we won't have to listen to it for another four years.

Rinse and repeat.

It's honestly funny that people don't see this. Soccer's fine. It has absolutely zero chance of displacing baseball or the nba let alone the nfl. I mean to follow non-World Cup soccer you either have to follow the pointless MLS or adopt a team on a different continent.

I will never, ever understand why some people are so adamantly against the idea of soccer becoming popular.
Its just unlikely.

And I follow the EPL, and really intensly follow the Ukrainian Premier League... So I am kinda hardcore

I will never, ever understand why some people are so adamantly against the idea of soccer becoming popular.

That's not it at all. I personally find it boring and, worst of all, arbitrary (we got completely dominated and almost went to PKs? And what is a foul? But really I'm ok with people loving it. I really like that it's short and I'm done in 2 hours but how is it a threat to any major sports league when zero teams are located on our continent. It makes no sense.

It's honestly funny that people don't see this. Soccer's fine. It has absolutely zero chance of displacing baseball or the nba let alone the nfl. I mean to follow non-World Cup soccer you either have to follow the pointless MLS or adopt a team on a different continent.
The pointless MLS which is on ESPN every week and outdraws the NBA. Right.

Seriously, the anti-soccer crap is so absurd. I just don't get it. No one is forcing you to watch soccer. Bury your head in the sand and pretend it isn't the most rapidly growing sport in the country all you want, that's not going to change how fast it's growing.