Dear Dion... | Syracusefan.com

Dear Dion...

Jake

Mod
If you are ever at the FT line again with a 1 point lead an 1.7 seconds on the clock and you miss the FT. Run as far away from the ball as humanly possible. Because if you foul the rebounder and put them at the line, you will join the Paul Harris club. We'd like to keep that club as small as possible.

Signed,

Every Syracuse fan on the planet.

Was it Pitt that lost an NCAA tourney game that way? Fouling on the rebound of a foul shot 93 ft away from the hoop?

What he said!

This was one of the most confusing games I have ever watched. I couldn't hear the announcers, and was with some other people, so I'm not even sure what happened. Except we won!!!! I texted a Louisville cousin the whole game and he was gracious, but disappointed. A very good crowd there.

If you are ever at the FT line again with a 1 point lead an 1.7 seconds on the clock and you miss the FT. Run as far away from the ball as humanly possible. Because if you foul the rebounder and put them at the line, you will join the Paul Harris club. We'd like to keep that club as small as possible.

Signed,

Dear Dion, if you are on the FT line again with a 1 point lead and 1.7 seconds on the clock...MAKE THE MF'IN FREE THROWs NO MORE AROUND MAN.

Signed,

Was it Pitt that lost an NCAA tourney game that way? Fouling on the rebound of a foul shot 93 ft away from the hoop?

Yeah, after Butler fouled at half court on a guy falling out of bounds.

Also, Dion committed a lane violation; I'm about 90% sure he did at least.

Signed,

Indeed, Jake.

sorry coach i was trying to pad my numbers because i hate passing the rock.

Signed,

How about making the GD free throws, because we're only up one? Too much to ask?

Also, please go to the rim more and create. Shoot less jumpers. Thanks. He made some nice passes for dunks on the baseline.

To add to that...even if Dion HAD grabbed the rebound, no one is saying: "What a heads up play!" It's still the wrong play. That would have been awful.

44cuse

I agree, doubt that ever gets called because it was pretty close, but it definitely looked like the foot hit inside the free throw before the ball hit the rim.

I thought the ref raised his arm for a foul. Sonofabitch.

Dear Dion, if you are on the FT line again with a 1 point lead and 1.7 seconds on the clock...MAKE THE MF'IN FREE THROWs NO MORE AROUND MAN.

Signed,

Absolutely the right decision to miss with just a 1 point lead. I have no doubt JB told him to miss. Wrong to go for the rebound but right to miss.

I instantly thought the same thing. I could just him going over someone's back and getting called for foul and sending UL to the line. Thankfully...

Yes--the refs screwed up twice on that play.

First, Dion committed a clear lane violation that fortunately wasn't called. Then, when the ball hit the rim, the clock didn't start. I'm not kidding--watch the replay. It was at least a full second late starting, which is why that guy got it and called timeout with only 1.1 seconds remaining on the clock. The refs only checked the time showing on the clock--they didn't even catch that the hometown clock operator did the home team a favor with his slow fingers.

I would have bet money that Dion would not blow our final two possessions and then miss the front end of a 1-and-1 to nearly cost us the game. Wowowow. I am now convinced this was the worst performance this team has put in all year, including the ND mess. Absolutely expected frankly given the spell that Pitino seems to have over us. I expect an exact replay in the dome. Awesome win though. Absolutely huge!

Signed,

Yes it was dumbness of major proportion. He probably thought by contesting the rebound UL would have only a couple tenths of a second to call time out. Unfortunately the refs ignored the whole sequence anyway.

FWIW...I thought JB called a great final play...we just didn't execute. he had Dion drive strong side...and sent both Melo and Fair weakside to crash the board. If Dion's shot goes in or goes long we were there for the put back...but it took a funny hop off the rim.

Absolutely the right decision to miss with just a 1 point lead. I have no doubt JB told him to miss. Wrong to go for the rebound but right to miss.
disagree 100%. with 1.1 seconds you are looking at a full court chuck regardless. i'd rather be up 3 and guaranteed a tie on some full court chuck than possibly losing on some full court chuck. the only advantage of missing is that it takes time off the clock. i'd still rather make the free throws and play defense.

unreal... i almost had a heart attack when he went after the rebound

First, Dion committed a clear lane violation that fortunately wasn't called. Then, when the ball hit the rim, the clock didn't start. I'm not kidding--watch the replay. It was at least a full second late starting, which is why that guy got it and called timeout with only 1.1 seconds remaining on the clock. The refs only checked the time showing on the clock--they didn't even catch that the hometown clock operator did the home team a favor with his slow fingers.

Yep, there's no way that that sequence - carom off the rim, tip by Dion, and catch/TO only took .6 seconds

I didn't think the clock starts until someone touches it.

Look at it again, I just watched it a half dozen times. His foot may touch before the ball hits the rim, but it is literally milliseconds difference. His foot is getting ready to hit when the ball hits the rim. It's much closer then you think if you just pay attention to his foot and listen for the ball hitting the rim. Not nearly as cut and dried as you folks are making it out to be.

disagree 100%. with 1.1 seconds you are looking at a full court chuck regardless. i'd rather be up 3 and guaranteed a tie on some full court chuck than possibly losing on some full court chuck. the only advantage of missing is that it takes time off the clock. i'd still rather make the free throws and play defense.

you don't want them to be able to set something up and want the ball to clang around a bit and someone have to chuck it. nothing says he will make both. chances of us losing in OT are better than their chances of scoring on a full court chuck. of course dion going in for the rebound negated all that. that shouldn't have been done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom