Death Penalty | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Death Penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could actually see CFB being played and the NFL not.

Think about it, most CFB players don't have a spouse and kids and are already away from their primary family for a few months while they are away at school. It COULD be possible to essentially quarantine entire teams and coaches and have them play games with no fans.

With that said, there are a myriad of "what ifs" and immense hurdles (eg a player on a team tests positive, is that team "out"? - Think about if a player tested positive right before a game, is that a forfeit for the season??). If CFB was the only sport, then I'd guess that the TV revenue would surpass the amount of lost ticket sale money.

My guess is that it will be an all or nothing for P5 conferences, and likely CFB as a whole. Look at what happened with CBB conference tourneys and the poor optics that a conference/school could face.
I think both get played but the NFL has a much better shot of having their season than college football.

My point exactly. While losing 100K of fans for 6 games a year will hurt, they have a student population the size of the city of Albany NY. If restrictions on gatherings are relaxed for groups under 500 they will still have a bustling local economy.
PA is going to be opening by county and as right now full "red" status till May 8th.
Yellow will allow groups of up to 15 I believe.
I don't see the state opening up quickly enough to have students on campus this fall for PA.
I've heard rumblings the state college I live near is doing online classes this fall.

Put me in the no college football. If there is coronavirus and baring some big improvement in treatment there will be no college football. No college president wants to be charged with the responsibility that will come with gathering 30 to 110 k. And t it would be pointless to play without fans. I could see A college football season starting a few months late and going into Feb or March. Not worried about them carrying on without us at all. NFL is different. Draft ratings were through the roof. Television could carry them through no crowds for awhile , people desperate for some type of sports.

The impact of college football to the universities may be overstated, but not the impact of college football, big-time college football, on the economies of the college towns where they reside.

Not wishing to tempt schadenfreude or anything, but what else does State College, Pa. have to bolster the local economy?
There's some truth to that, but the rest of the university's activities have a much larger impact. College season specifically impacts State College 7 weekends a year. All other campus activities impact it August through May. If students aren't on campus, the pain of the absence of college football is like adding an earflick to a concussion.

Ummm, the students

Which is what they won't have if they don't have a season. Which was my point. Not to mention, who is to say that the students will be back?
Your logic is backwards though. The presence or absence of football will not determine if students are on campus. They won't determine whether or not to have a season with the goal of bringing students to campus. It goes the other way. If it is safe enough to have students on campus, then an argument can be made that it is safe enough to have a season. There are lots of variables with that, not the least of which is that you'll have thousands of people coming from all over the region/country, including hot spots, that could bring the virus with them to a densely populated environment.

Ummm... 80,000 students living there and spending money for 9 months out of the year?
I look at it the other way, if not deemed safe enough to play football, you can not have students intermingling on campus, therefore no economic activity for college towns or the colleges.

I look at it the other way, if not deemed safe enough to play football, you can not have students intermingling on campus, therefore no economic activity for college towns or the colleges.
The two are certainly connected because they require the same criteria. Municipality and university decision makers won't make the decisions in that order, however.

Its safer to have students on campus where they can control the environment and limit gatherings to classes and smaller groups than it is to have 100,000 in a packed stadium coming from god knows where and with no idea whether any are a carrier.

Its safer to have students on campus where they can control the environment and limit gatherings to classes and smaller groups than it is to have 100,000 in a packed stadium coming from god knows where and with no idea whether any are a carrier.
you think students are not coming from all over. You know that they are not carriers? If you think students on campus will be isolating from one another think again. I have never seen a college admin that could control squat. I am not saying colleges should not be open just that the risks of either are nearly identical.

you think students are not coming from all over. You know that they are not carriers? If you think students on campus will be isolating from one another think again. I have never seen a college admin that could control squat. I am not saying colleges should not be open just that the risks of either are nearly identical.

Sorry to be disagreeable. I just don’t buy it. You have a chance at providing a safe environment on campus for classes. You no chance for sporting events, large scale concerts, or any other event of more than 5000 people that is open to the general public.

I know people really want there to be a football season, but colleges won’t risk the liability. Let’s hope that things will change, but I’m not optimistic.

Back to the point if the OP: There are 41 states that have FBS teams and no organization that can tell programs in all 41 to play or not play short of the federal government. NCAA does not have the authority. P5 cannot reach consensus and even within individual conferences there are ongoing discussions about playing without some member schools. If only some schools choose to go forward in September - with or without fans - and the transfer rule passes, what happens to the programs that can’t play.

At this point it’s a hypothetical, guys. But a real possibility.

Back to the point if the OP: There are 41 states that have FBS teams and no organization that can tell programs in all 41 to play or not play short of the federal government. NCAA does not have the authority. P5 cannot reach consensus and even within individual conferences there are ongoing discussions about playing without some member schools. If only some schools choose to go forward in September - with or without fans - and the transfer rule passes, what happens to the programs that can’t play.

Going to be real interesting... I really think any decision needs to hold off until June or later. After some decisions are made in conferences then rules will need to be set so that nothing crazy or wonky happens

Just really hope that this all clears up soon, I miss regular life

I don’t know how he defines “far” but this is what DeSantis of Florida said yesterday when discussing opening establishments in Florida.

“or allowing sporting events with fans until “far in the future.”

There are still scholarship limits. A limited number of schools playing means a limited number of available spots.

I mean... have things gotten more positive in 5 weeks though?

A lot has changed very quickly, but I don't think things have gotten better exactly.
Depends on how and where you listen to the news.

Murder rates are way down
Traffic Deaths way down
Emergency Room visits way down
Non-Covid Pneumonia death is virtually nil
Actual Covid-19 Death rates are very low over projections
Suggested Data now pegs mortality rates at well under 1%

Now on the flip side:. the unintended consequences of not doing something closer to the Swedish Model
Herd Immunity delayed
Deep Recession or worse
Out of Control Debt
Other Medical Issues -->ticking timebomb

Last edited:
Depends on how and where you listen to the news.

Murder rates are way down
Traffic Deaths way down
Emergency Room visits way down
Non-Covid Pneumonia death is virtually nil
Actual Covid-19 Death rates are very low over projections
Suggested Data now pegs mortality rates at well under 1%

Now on the flip side:. the unintended consequences of not doing something closer to the Swedish Model
Herd Immunity delayed
Deep Recession or worse
Out of Control Debt
Other Medical Issues -->ticking timebomb
The murder rates and traffic deaths being down aren't trends we would expect to continue as things "get back to normal," though. The emergency room visits being down might also not be a positive, as there is some belief that people are avoiding treatment for things they should to steer clear of Coronavirus in a hospital setting. Not sure how to interpret the pneumonia one.

In any event, assuming those things are all positive, they don't really impact readiness for schools to start back in the fall.

The murder rates and traffic deaths being down aren't trends we would expect to continue as things "get back to normal," though. The emergency room visits being down might also not be a positive, as there is some belief that people are avoiding treatment for things they should to steer clear of Coronavirus in a hospital setting. Not sure how to interpret the pneumonia one.

In any event, assuming those things are all positive, they don't really impact readiness for schools to start back in the fall.
Oh I agree...hence my ticking timebomb

Think about all the delayed routine medical appointments that might have been able to catch something on time.

Sorry to be disagreeable. I just don’t buy it. You have a chance at providing a safe environment on campus for classes. You no chance for sporting events, large scale concerts, or any other event of more than 5000 people that is open to the general public.

I know people really want there to be a football season, but colleges won’t risk the liability. Let’s hope that things will change, but I’m not optimistic.
Liabilty of students on campus will be no different.
I will have no say in any of this, but have worked in more hazardous conditions before I retired, and with the proper precautions would have no fear about attending sporting events.

Last edited:
I will have no say in any of this, but have worked in more hazardous conditions before I retired, and with the proper precautions would have no fear about attending sporting events.

I wish you the best of luck with that. You're more optimistic than I am that the people around you in the rest room at halftime will be virus free.

I wish you the best of luck with that. You're more optimistic than I am that the people around you in the rest room at halftime will be virus free.
I bet you have a higher chance of dying in a car accident but I bet you still drive almost everyday

I bet you have a higher chance of dying in a car accident but I bet you still drive almost everyday

Not worried about me. Worried about becoming a carrier and infecting my elderly parents.
And to use your analogy - they don't drive because it wouldn't be safe for them to do so.

Which is why the federal government and automobile manufacturers are continually trying to increase automobile safety. To drive without taking proper precautions would be foolish and careless.

Ummm... 80,000 students living there and spending money for 9 months out of the year?

There are 46,000 under grads at State Park. The other students live and go to school at other locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.