Decision Time coming for acc Ad's | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Decision Time coming for acc Ad's

You have to be kidding? The best way for me to now watch 20% of the cuse games is now hardwiring (through a wall in my specific case) and having an exposed cord in my family room to watch the game with almost as good quality as TV? And it is still numerous plays behind.

you're nuts.

Also - as i said this cuts the audience in half. Most aren't die hard's like I am willing to do this.

Sure its a step in the future - it doesn't mean that its ready. Especially when it is so easy to just allow the game on Time Warner as they have for the last 30 years that I've been alive.
So it's the ACC's fault your home configuration to connect to the Internet using your TV is awful, got it.

They make smart TV's that don't require any cords to connect to the Internet in 1080P HD, just power. Or get a Chromecast and stream from the ACC site, ESPNGO right from your phone or tablet. It's flawless and you can still get your notifications.

So it's the ACC's fault your home configuration to connect to the Internet using your TV is awful, got it.

They make smart TV's that don't require any cords to connect to the Internet in 1080P HD, just power. Or get a Chromecast and stream from the ACC site, ESPNGO right from your phone or tablet. It's flawless and you can still get your notifications.

If I watch it on my phone and still get my notifications - they will be coming 30+ seconds before I see it.

Last edited:
If I watch it on my phone and still get my notifications - they will be coming 30+ seconds before I see it.
Perfect, you will be like Nostradamus to all that are around you.

CuB4XtdXgAAgxVE.jpg

It's ready if you're keen to saving $1000 a year on your cable bill. Running an ethernet cable and installing a box or just moving your router is not hard at all. I have kids who like gaming. I plugged in the playstation. Another thing off the wifi. Another thing with max speeds.

And for some, like me, the picture is better.

Wireless engineer here;

I did this same thing when i set up my Home theatre 5 years ago, i spent about $300 on an 11 port CAT6 Router. I hardwire EVERYTHING except ipads laptops and phones. Anything that gets a tv connected to the net is via hardwire cat6.

Wireless engineer here;

I did this same thing when i set up my Home theatre 5 years ago, i spent about $300 on an 11 port CAT6 Router. I hardwire EVERYTHING except ipads laptops and phones. Anything that gets a tv connected to the net is via hardwire cat6.

Want to spend a few hours in Victor, NY? I provide all you can drink blue light and well drinks as well as all you can eat Mark's pizza.

Want to spend a few hours in Victor, NY? I provide all you can drink blue light and well drinks as well as all you can eat Mark's pizza.
In places where running cat 5e/6 is prohibitive, you may want to check into using some other cabling that's already present in your house. If you have RG-6 (in plain English, that's regular coax) in some key locations you can get some MoCA adapters. Actually the DirecTV versions (DECA) are very affordable. If that cabling is unavailable, look at the modern PowerLine adapters... more $ than DECA, but faster/more-reliable than WiFi.

In places where running cat 5e/6 is prohibitive, you may want to check into using some other cabling that's already present in your house. If you have RG-6 (in plain English, that's regular coax) in some key locations you can get some MoCA adapters. Actually the DirecTV versions (DECA) are very affordable. If that cabling is unavailable, look at the modern PowerLine adapters... more $ than DECA, but faster/more-reliable than WiFi.

I was starting to feel a little technologically smart in this thread. And you just ruined it. Thanks pal.

As to the ACC decision, it's clear that FSU and Clemson aren't going to budge. GT is on their side, probably Louisville too. Each has a traditional SEC opponent (Louisville has half of one). I'm sure they have enough power to sway other votes.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Get the Rutgers annual game scheduled. Create our own border war. There's a thread about them with 1 million posts that will never die, and they're in the Big 10. So it will work.

Yikes man. Get the grandkids to set up a appletv or roku. I get a better picture than through cable. No lag. No down time. All games on ESPN3/SlingTV.

This...I am hoping the Wake Forest game isn't blacked out on WatchESPN or I wont be able to watch it. I will be out of town so I plan on bringing my Roku and hopefully catching the game that way.

I was starting to feel a little technologically smart in this thread. And you just ruined it. Thanks pal.

As to the ACC decision, it's clear that FSU and Clemson aren't going to budge. GT is on their side, probably Louisville too. Each has a traditional SEC opponent (Louisville has half of one). I'm sure they have enough power to sway other votes.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Get the Rutgers annual game scheduled. Create our own border war. There's a thread about them with 1 million posts that will never die, and they're in the Big 10. So it will work.

Trying to fit all the ACC into yearly P5 games:

FSU-Florida
GA Tech-UGA
Clemson-SC
Louisville-UK
Pitt-PSU
VA Tech-WV
UVA-MD
Duke-Stanford
Wake-Vandy
UNC-Tennessee
BC-RU only because there aren't other choices in the area
SU-Northwestern I like this best for SU
Miami-Nebraska there isn't much of a fit for Miami but at least this woudl have some history
NC State-??? I say we kick them out of the conference. Maybe BYU since the the state shares "laws"

That comes out to 6 games vs the SEC, 5 games vs the B1G, 1 game vs the B12, 1 game vs the P12, plus whatever we do with NC State.

If ours is the deciding vote - horse trade it for getting us into the Coastal Division.

FSU-Florida
GA Tech-UGA
Clemson-SC
Louisville-UK
Pitt-PSU
VA Tech-WV
UVA-MD
Duke-Stanford
Wake-Vandy
UNC-Tennessee
Miami-Nebraska there isn't much of a fit for Miami but at least this woudl have some history
NC State-??? I say we kick them out of the conference. Maybe BYU since the the state shares "laws"

That comes out to 6 games vs the SEC, 5 games vs the B1G, 1 game vs the B12, 1 game vs the P12, plus whatever we do with NC State.

I don't think everyone needs a yearly game though. VT and UVA get their in state rivalry game as a conference game. Same with Miami (FSU), UNC - NC State. So if they want the flexibility to schedule all 4 games, so be it. BC may not want one either because they probably view SU and when they get ND as their favorites.

SU could schedule something with WVU, maybe rolling with RU. But WVU is trying to get back into the Pitt business.

And as much as I'd like to go to one of my favorite cities (Chicago, not the south side though) every other year, I think SU-RU could be something that breathes life into fan interest. They are B1G as I said, so they're not going away. And it's certainly winnable.

The 8 schools who voted for 8: Syracuse, Florida State, Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, NC State.

The 6 schools who voted for 9: Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest, Pitt, Boston College.

Syracuse is sticking with the FB out of respect for the lifeline we were given into the conference.

NC State is with the FB schools. The conference is giving up 7 million dollars from ESPN to stay at 8.

There won't be a long term series for SU against any P5 school. Rutgers doesn't want to help us recruit NJ.
We should try to get series with Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Kansas, teams.

FSU-Florida
GA Tech-UGA
Clemson-SC
Louisville-UK
Pitt-PSU
VA Tech-WV
UVA-MD
Duke-Stanford
Wake-Vandy
UNC-Tennessee

It should be BC vs UConn and SU vs Rutgers. I know UConn isn't P5 but the B1G says it is okay to consider them P5 and that should be good enough for BC.

Rutgers was against playing SU when Flood was there. Sounds like Ash and the new AD might be amenable to this. At least for a couple of years.

Maybe the ultimate solution is to rotate series between SU, Pitt and V Tech with Penn State, WVU and Rutgers. Maybe include BC and UConn too. That would be nice for Eastern football.

this is a really stupid question - but can i use my cable box ethernet jack for hardwiring?

I always thought it had to come straight from the router. If that is the case, how could hard wire everything? Do you have tons or wiring throughout the walls of your house?

How many routers can i have?

Maybe the ultimate solution is to rotate series between SU, Pitt and V Tech with Penn State, WVU and Rutgers. Maybe include BC and UConn too. That would be nice for Eastern football.

Replace UConn with Maryland and I really like this idea. It would take some creative minds (some of them with enormous egos), but could keep the scheduling fresh and interesting for everyone.

Replace UConn with Maryland and I really like this idea. It would take some creative minds (some of them with enormous egos), but could keep the scheduling fresh and interesting for everyone.

That sounds great. I think all 8 schools would be happy.

So over an 8 year period SU would play the following Northeast P5 teams:

Penn State home and away
West Virginia home and away
Maryland home and away
Rutgers home and away
Pitt 4x home and 4x away
BC 4x home and 4x away
VA Tech once away

this is a really stupid question - but can i use my cable box ethernet jack for hardwiring?

I always thought it had to come straight from the router. If that is the case, how could hard wire everything? Do you have tons or wiring throughout the walls of your house?

WiFi...I watch all my TV through Wifi using Roku or FireTV...the Wifi on new routers is super fast, no need to hard wire anymore.

The 8 schools who voted for 8: Syracuse, Florida State, Louisville, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Miami, NC State.

The 6 schools who voted for 9: Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Wake Forest, Pitt, Boston College.

Syracuse is sticking with the FB out of respect for the lifeline we were given into the conference.

NC State is with the FB schools. The conference is giving up 7 million dollars from ESPN to stay at 8.

There won't be a long term series for SU against any P5 school. Rutgers doesn't want to help us recruit NJ.
We should try to get series with Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Indiana, Kansas, teams.

What's the source? I'm a bit dubious.

Syracuse has been pretty vocal about 9 games, but that was of course the old regime.

I'm surprised that Pitt would vote for nine with their efforts to get PSU and WVU back on the schedule.

I thought Duke's David Cutcliff had come out pretty strongly for 8 in the past, and UNC's Fedora is on record for 8, although that's no guarantee that the AD voted that way.

However, NCSU has come out on the record and said that they voted in favor of 9. Unless there's a documented source, this looks like guesswork at best, and pretty odd guesswork to say the least.

IMG_6077.JPG

If your "cable box" is U-verse then yes. Otherwise, probably not.

In my new houses in Texas, I had cat-5e throughout. In my older houses in GA, not so much. I've been using both DECa and Powerline. We love our wireless U-verse boxes. They have their own dedicated wireless access point that is geared to video and does a great job. Add an AppleTV or antenna and we often have 3 TVs on the deck for college football Saturdays (see above... sometimes we use larger TVs).

You can only really have one router, but it can be connected to many Ethernet switches downstream. My DECA/Powerline adapters have a switch attached to allow multiple devices to be attached to each.

What's the source? I'm a bit dubious.

Syracuse has been pretty vocal about 9 games, but that was of course the old regime.

I'm surprised that Pitt would vote for nine with their efforts to get PSU and WVU back on the schedule.

I thought Duke's David Cutcliff had come out pretty strongly for 8 in the past, and UNC's Fedora is on record for 8, although that's no guarantee that the AD voted that way.

However, NCSU has come out on the record and said that they voted in favor of 9. Unless there's a documented source, this looks like guesswork at best, and pretty odd guesswork to say the least.
It's also unclear if the vote for "8" was for the original "8+2" or the fallback "8+1 but for less TV revenue".

It's also unclear if the vote for "8" was for the original "8+2" or the fallback "8+1 but for less TV revenue".

From what it sounds like to me, as soon as the option for 8+1 was available, 8+2 came right off the table. Since anyone can schedule 2 if they want, but I'm sure that some would like the option to play locally or traditionally relevant G5 on occasion, or might just find themselves in a crunch one year.

It doesn't sound like the $500k came in to play much at all...it doesn't sound like anyone was "Why not commit to a 2nd game to pocket the extra cash?" Which is probably good...you should be doing what you think is best for the conference and you institution, and $500k a year would be small change to sell out what you think are your best interests.

At least I haven't heard anyone say there was strong favor to take the $500k for the 2nd P5 game. As soon as the option was available, this became a straight up 8 vs 9, and fell out like it always has, a narrow majority for 8.