Defense getting (way?) too much credit | Syracusefan.com

Defense getting (way?) too much credit

jtorange

Walk On
Yes, some good stops, BUT this was expected to be a defensive struggle. L'ville offense is weak. Too many missed tackles. Some huge holes on run plays. A good defense allows FG's but not 3 TD's - especially against a weakfish O with a green QB.

I think they deserve some credit, especially in the face of what they have been asked to do, but I do agree with you. This unit is light years ahead of the SU offense but still has to work on the basics. They look comfortable and seem to dictate the game at times. However, when it comes right down to tackling, we don't have it.

Back when we had GRob, we seemed to see kids show evidence of the "thumping" they did in practice. In games, they never wrapped up a tackle and opponents made highlight run after highlight run after a certain point. Now it seems the defense tackles WAY TO HIGH. Watch the game, you'll see we are regularly going after the tops of guys shoulder pads. Yes the RB is shorter and yes they try to get low too. But I ses it with many other programs; our guys just don't have it. This could be due to coaching and/or conditioning. Either way, they are clearly not prepared to actually tackle I see evidence of going after the ball. Thats fine (provided they don't ALWAYS go for the big play and miss an assignment) but a defenders job is to hit people first. Take out the guys midsection or legs; thats how you stop a runner.

In the business world, everyone talks about the essentials of their respective business as "blocking and tackling." Nothing spectacular might be happening but you know the basic "blocking and tackling" you must do in order to continue in the business. Right now we aren't doing it, plain and simple. There is no substitute for hard work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom