Defense real problem | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Defense real problem

A bad defense is a bad defense. Sometimes it happens. I can live with it. But what I think made it worse on Saturday night in particular is that A) they actually played pretty well for much of the game; and B) that the whole point of rushing three is to prevent the big plays ... but we not only gave up big plays, there were several chunk plays NC State simply missed either due to a young qb/poor execution or because we were called for a penalty.

Happy with what Fran and Co. have done here, but this defense remains a significant concern.

Our coverage has been pretty bad all year. A lot of misses by our opponents. Good that we haven't faced a good QB yet.

But as you said.. if we are looking to limit big plays by being conservative, why are we giving up big plays?

My brother was at the game and said that boatloads on NC St fans blamed the refs for losing them the game... The back-to-back illegal shift calls in the 4th being the BS and difference.

They didn't show a replay of the first but the second even I noticed before the snap. It was clear as day.

Also what are we doing with Diggs? We used him as a weapon vs GA Tech. Then we have games I am not even sure what his role is supposed to be. He is our most talented play. No reason why he isn't a bigger factor.

Back 7 just seem a little confused. I’m not a big believer that you can sit back in zone and rush 3 in the collegiate game. Waaaay to much to ask of young football players.

NFL defenses know every single route combination that can be thrown again a single look. Different games.

I understand we’ve had a bunch of injuries back there, but I’d like to see us play a little more man a times and add a little more to our blitz packages on obvious passing downs.

I didn't hate the 3 man rush against NC State as much as most. Felt like more often than not, the true freshman QB didn't know where to go with the football. But with 8 guys back, you need to be able to tackle him when he takes off.

Won't work against Pitt, that QB is better. Seems like we either send 3 or 6. Don't see a lot of 4 man rush, or even 5. Maybe we're saving it for Pitt. We should do whatever Cal did.

I didn't hate the 3 man rush against NC State as much as most. Felt like more often than not, the true freshman QB didn't know where to go with the football. But with 8 guys back, you need to be able to tackle him when he takes off.

Won't work against Pitt, that QB is better. Seems like we either send 3 or 6. Don't see a lot of 4 man rush, or even 5. Maybe we're saving it for Pitt. We should do whatever Cal did.

Maybe this is just an impression but I feel like when we do bring more than 3 guys, we just line up and run forward into the OL. It doesn't seem like we have anyone come off the edge. It doesn't seem like we twist on the DL. Or have LBs crisscross. It doesn't seem like we delay a LB. It doesn't seem like we bring a DB. Maybe I am just not noticing it but I feel like we are as basic as it comes.

A bad defense is a bad defense. Sometimes it happens. I can live with it. But what I think made it worse on Saturday night in particular is that A) they actually played pretty well for much of the game; and B) that the whole point of rushing three is to prevent the big plays ... but we not only gave up big plays, there were several chunk plays NC State simply missed either due to a young qb/poor execution or because we were called for a penalty.

Happy with what Fran and Co. have done here, but this defense remains a significant concern.
The way I see that those 10 plays are correctable, giving up 10 to 20 yd plays are going to happen, limit those busts to 25 yds and you can limit the damage.

The other 97% of plays the defense hasn’t been awful. Backing out those 10 plays SU has given 353, 333, 304, 140, 259, and 222 yds.

They aren’t getting steamrolled and pushed around play after play.

Last edited:
The way I see that those 10 plays are correctable, giving up 10 to 20 yd plays are going to happen, limit those busts to 25 yds and you can limit the damage.

The other 97 of the plays the defense hasn’t been awful. Backing out those 10 plays SU has given 353, 333, 304, 140, 259, and 222 yds.

I think we’ve benefitted from not great opposing qb play. That was definitely true on Saturday. But in with you. I think we’ve had nice stretches of competence.

I think we’ve benefitted from not great opposing qb play. That was definitely true on Saturday. But in with you. I think we’ve had nice stretches of competence.
New Defense, new DC, losing their best player early. There is upside. They get the same results on third down and 5 of 6 games 28 or under points they probably go 4-2.

Yeah the opposing QB play has not been good. Not sure we will see a consistent thrower all season.

I completely agree, but if you told me preseason that we'd only give up over 30 once in our first 6 games, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Hoping we figure out something soon though because as has been said the competition is quite a bit tougher second half of the slate. I'd just settle for better tackling.

I'm thinking (hoping really) that the missing piece is on it's way back to the team after the bye... Wax.

The other 97 of the plays the defense hasn’t been awful. Backing out those 10 plays SU has given 353, 333, 304, 140, 259, and 222 yds.

This is great stuff and framing.

Based on this I bet our median ypp given up is 10-20 spots better than average, but I don't see anywhere that calcs this for us.

Either way, its got to get better.

The piece that gives me optimism is that almost all teh big plays are a function of missed tackles, rather than blown assignments. To me, tackling can be cleaned up easier than getting the scheme fixed. Remmeber when Tony White came and and got many of these same defenders to tackle well after the abomination that occured under Brian Ward

I'm thinking (hoping really) that the missing piece is on it's way back to the team after the bye... Wax.

And Barnes. He will definitely help on the backend. The secondary wasn't great against NC State. We were a bit lucky that Bailey couldn't hit some of those big throws where guys were running open.

Yeah the opposing QB play has not been good. Not sure we will see a consistent thrower all season.
The last couple games I thought the opposing "backup" QB's were surprisingly effective. Williams (UNLV FCS transfer) hit 84% of his passes for 229 yds and 3 TDs (throw in another 54 on the ground). Bailey (NCSt) hit 70% for 329 yards and 2 TDs - as a freshman. Although he didn't connect on a couple deep throws, it's obvious the kid has all the goods. LOL to 3 stars.

If Bailey ever hits the portal I hope Fran is in his living room the next day.

Last edited:
Barnes and Buxton being back along with Wax is huge against Pitt. I think that Buxton is our best tackling safety and Barnes is our best lock down corner. Wax is unquestionably our best D player

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom