Defensive and offensive team rankings for this year | Syracusefan.com

Defensive and offensive team rankings for this year

OrangeFoo

All American
FG % against - 17th
3 point % against - 73rd
Scoring Defense - 41st
Blocked Shots per game - t-20th
Rebound Margin - 269 (defensive RPG 273) (offensive RPG 113)
Total Steals - 19

Scoring offense - 257
FG % - 280
3 point % for - 253
3 point attempts for - 61
assists per game - 277
Turnovers - 106
assists/turnover ratio - 230

Read into these rankings what you will. My main takeaways:
- Our offense is laughably bad
- We shoot way too many threes for such a terrible shooting team
- We don't turn the ball over that much but our assist to turnover ration is horrendous because we are terrible at creating shots for each other
- the zone is definitely hurting our ability to grab defensive rebounds
- Our overall D is okay, but no longer elite
- Teams are finding success against us by shooting threes and getting offensive rebounds vs going inside where we can steal the ball or block their shot

If I had to summarize all this into one point: Our D used to be elite enough to carry our laughably bad offense... but it no longer is because teams can shoot enough threes to beat us now. The D is by no means terrible, but its just not as good as it used to be at defending the 3. (please see my Steph Curry killed our zone thread for wild speculation and H0T Takes =) )

I find all these “no longer” takes off of ONE YEAR to be interesting.

Last year nobody could throw it in the ocean against us and we made the sweet 16 solely off our defense(offensively we were horrific). But in one year everybody morphed into Steph Curry clones and it’s over.

Interesting.

Last year nobody could throw it in the ocean against us and we made the sweet 16 solely off our defense(offensively we were horrific). But in one year everybody morphed into Steph Curry clones and it’s over.

Interesting.
There is one trend the last three years

Bad offense

No movement or creation

There is one trend the last three years

Bad offense

No movement or creation

Um, yeah - about that.

Have Uncle Drew & Gillon been gone 3 years already?
Time flies...

THAT team was actually very good on O, including 3 guys who shot over 40% from 3, and another (Frosh Battle) who was close.

They just couldn’t play D very well, and it took JB too long in the OOC to sort out our best lineups.

Our O has been offensive these past 2 seasons, but at least last year we were playing some lockdown D towards the end of the year.
This year, for whatever reasons, we never got back to that level.

Interesting.
Am I the only one who saw the unusual number of corner threes we gave up this year? This is has been a thing in the NBA for a few years now. Could college coaches be catching on to this as a way to beat the zone? It is a one year sample... we will see what happens next season.

Am I the only one who saw the unusual number of corner threes we gave up this year? This is has been a thing in the NBA for a few years now. Could college coaches be catching on to this as a way to beat the zone? It is a one year sample... we will see what happens next season.

Frankly, I’m WAY more concerned about our offense.

Our defense wasn’t as good this year, but it was still good enough to make a run with...if our offense was any good.

We were a better offensive team than defensive in 2003. Gotta be able to SCORE.

I don’t really give a crap what defense we play.

Get some players who can shoot and pass and score in the post.

Frankly, I’m WAY more concerned about our offense.

Our defense wasn’t as good this year, but it was still good enough to make a run with...if our offense was any good.

We were a better offensive team than defensive in 2003. Gotta be able to SCORE.

I don’t really give a crap what defense we play.

Get some players who can shoot and pass and score in the post.

I watched buffalo yesterday and they are so much better on offense it’s almost alarming.

I watched buffalo yesterday and they are so much better on offense it’s almost alarming.

I went to the MAC Final last weekend, and came away with the same take - their offense is night and day better than ours is.

The terrible assists ranking makes me think about the article with Pitino coaching his Euro team earlier this year. "You guys can shoot, the problem is you can't pass."

There is absolutely no ball movement in our offense, which kills everything. Ball movement kills good defenses, it makes them move and lose assignments. Our guys dribble at he top of the key, maybe make a 3 foot pass to the semi wing, then the wing passes it back to the PG, then the center (offensively challenged) sets a pick, and they double the ball because the center has no ability to pick and pop or pick and roll and even if he did, the PG will not pass the ball to him so he takes a couple more steps back towards half court. Then he resettles with only one defender and then does one of 4 things. Settles for a contested 3, tries to dribble drive for a layup, tries to drive with a step back jump shot, or tries to drive and dish to the corner. It is so easy to defend, and realizes so heavily on the players to be above and beyond. It might work if we had an elite offensive talent, but we have not had that in a very long time, not to mention that is very rare in College Basketball. Of all the players in the tournament, Ja Morant might be the only one who would be able to effectively run this offense imo.

I went to the MAC Final last weekend, and came away with the same take - their offense is night and day better than ours is.
I saw them play at Kent state in January. Game was close for most of it and then buffalo pulled away. High scoring and fast paced. So much fun. Mac has some good teams. They are an underrated conference imo. They have multiple guards who can really get to the paint and the ball movement is amazing. They add in their sixth man Perkins who is very talented in the post and the lanky harris who does it all, in addition to a couple of wings who know their role (hustle, scrappy d, clean up rebounds on o).

Again... they are far superior on offense. The ball movement difference is obvious.

I saw them play at Kent state in January. Game was close for most of it and then buffalo pulled away. High scoring and fast paced. So much fun. Mac has some good teams. They are an underrated conference imo. They have multiple guards who can really get to the paint and the ball movement is amazing. They add in their sixth man Perkins who is very talented in the post and the lanky harris who does it all, in addition to a couple of wings who know their role (hustle, scrappy d, clean up rebounds on o).

Again... they are far superior on offense. The ball movement difference is obvious.
Love that Harris and ALL of their guards try to attack off of the dribble.

There is absolutely no ball movement in our offense, which kills everything. Ball movement kills good defenses, it makes them move and lose assignments. Our guys dribble at he top of the key, maybe make a 3 foot pass to the semi wing, then the wing passes it back to the PG, then the center (offensively challenged) sets a pick, and they double the ball because the center has no ability to pick and pop or pick and roll and even if he did, the PG will not pass the ball to him so he takes a couple more steps back towards half court. Then he resettles with only one defender and then does one of 4 things. Settles for a contested 3, tries to dribble drive for a layup, tries to drive with a step back jump shot, or tries to drive and dish to the corner. It is so easy to defend, and realizes so heavily on the players to be above and beyond. It might work if we had an elite offensive talent, but we have not had that in a very long time, not to mention that is very rare in College Basketball. Of all the players in the tournament, Ja Morant might be the only one who would be able to effectively run this offense imo.
Morant would fire about 8 passes a game to our bigs down low that they wouldn’t catch or finish. I watched him Thursday and he’s unbelievably gifted at finding an open guy. The vision is insane. Problem is you still have to have players around you that expect the ball. At this point, his team understands those passes might come suddenly.

That's why I have hope for next year.

Carey will at least be more aggressive trying to create, and willing to create off a drive and kick out.

HOPE is a beautiful thing.

I hope Carey gets us 7 points 7 assists a game with only 2-3 TOs

And I hope that Sidibe turns into Rakeem Christmas over the summer

Carey will at least be more aggressive trying to create, and willing to create off a drive and kick out.

I hope Carey gets us 7pts 5assists a game with only 2-3 TOs

Im not sure see him being a 5 assists per game type guy.

I’m thinking like 13 points, 3 assists type production, given the minutes.

Im not sure see him being a 5 assists per game type guy.

I’m thinking like 13 points, 3 assists type production, given the minutes.
Delusion is a grand thing

I upped it to 7 and 7 :)

I hope Carey gets us 7 points 7 assists a game with only 2-3 TOs

7 assists?!

He's going to pull a Westbrook and average a triple-double next season

7 assists?!
What hampers our guards ability to get assists, are the bigs who either can't catch or can't finish.

How many blown lay-ups and bunnies did Oshae and Pascal have the past two years?

It's not just offense. It's just about everything. We've gone from NY's College team to 2nd best in Western NY. Our humiliation against Perkins summed up the year. I won't even mention the other MM losses. I was hoping we'd improve in league play after FH recovered. But we had one win against the top 5 - and got abused on the glass game after game while many posters insisted that 180 lb. guys are AOK in the middle. The rebounding deficits are going to get even worse without Chukwu. Many blame it all on an aging coach ... but I think what's lacking most is talent. This team has no QB (assists are among the worse in the league), and even if we had one, we have no one to throw to down low. If we can't stop making excuses and figure out how to recruit better players ... fans are going to start wearing grocery bags.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom