Delany... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Delany...

I know. The main reason Navy keeps getting mentioned is that they would play ND every year as they do now, but it becomes a conference game and ND doesn't have to juggle its OOC/in-conference schedule. Everyone always says, "The 16th team will be whoever ND wants." Maybe they wouldn't have a preference. What then?

If the rule changes to accommodate no divisions the ACC (if they feel the need to go to 15) should just expand taking away the ND picking #16. But they aren't going to expand to 15. They likely still have pipe dreams of ND and Texas.

Cheers,
Neil

If the 3+5+5 is allowed no need to add Notre Dame. Let Notre Dame get frozen out of the playoff because the Big Ten/ACC title games gain more value for the CFB playoffs.

NCAA Hq in India-noplace didn't give the Big XII an exemption, the P5 conferences voted to change the rule on championship games within the P5 to allow the Big XII to have a championship game. The B1G, Big XII, and SEC schools then unamimously voted down the proposal which would have allowed 3-5-5 scheduling with a championship game between the two best teams.

The whole sequence is built on the idea that the ACC would implode at any second and those three would get to pick over what they wanted from the remains. Well, it's finally starting to sink in that the ACC isn't going to implode. The B1G got burned this year by the division rule, so they may start coming around to accepting 3-5-5. Penn State would love to have 3-5-5 because it would probably mean only having to play one of thatOSU and Meeshigan each year instead of both of them. (I think PSU would have Meeshigan State (for the Land Grant Trophy!), Maryland, and Rutgers for its 3 permanents.)

PSU would want Ohio State over Michigan State. Whether they would get what they want is entirely a different story. Still a red-headed step child after all these years. Loved it when back in 2011 or 2012, Big Ten officials were actually questioning what value the Nits brought to the league.

Cheers,
Neil

Big Ten 3+5+5 IMO
Ohio State-Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State
Michigan- Ohio State, Michigan State, Northwestern
Penn State- Ohio State, Maryland, Rutgers
Michigan State- Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana
Indiana- Purdue, Michigan State, Rutgers
Rutgers- Maryland, Penn State, Indiana
Maryland- Penn State, Rutgers, Northwestern
Wisconsin- Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska
Iowa- Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska
Northwestern- Illinois, Michigan, Maryland
Minnesota- Iowa, Wisconsin, Ilinois
Purdue-Indiana, Illinois, Nebraska
Nebraska- Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue
Illinois- Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota

The worst thing about the ACC's current divisional alignment is that it makes it as if we're not in the same conference as nearly half the league. It is preposterous that we only play UVA, VaTech, Duke, UNC, GaTech and Miami once every six years.

There is literally not another sport I follow where my favorite team goes that long between playing every other team in the league. I mean I get to see my Patriots play the Arizona Cardinals more often than I get to see SU play Virginia. It's insane.

It's also terrible for TV.

The ACC has to find a way to end this silliness pronto.

Yes the football conference games goes to 10. The P5 should just break away and play only P5 games (2 OOC). Gives everyone 6 home and away. Networks would be happy.
Alabama, Clemson and some others would object. “We have to have 7 or 8 home games every year!”

If the 3+5+5 is allowed no need to add Notre Dame. Let Notre Dame get frozen out of the playoff because the Big Ten/ACC title games gain more value for the CFB playoffs.

If ND calls Swofford to join the football conference, a New Orleans style Second Line Parade will break out in Greensboro with Swofford in the lead about ten minutes later.

Sorry, but there is no way the ACC turns down ND football if it wants to join. That is message board fan fantasy.

If ND calls Swofford to join the football conference, a New Orleans style Second Line Parade will break out in Greensboro with Swofford in the lead about ten minutes later.

Sorry, but there is no way the ACC turns down ND football if it wants to join. That is message board fan fantasy.

His point wasn't that we wouldn't take them if they wanted - just that we don't need them to make it work.

Nobody ever said that.

We are talking about moving forward with a plan where a 12-0 ND team gets left out because say 8, 11-1 teams squared off in Championship Games while you guys were playing footsie with NBC.

Nobody ever said that.

We are talking about moving forward with a plan where a 12-0 ND team gets left out because say 8, 11-1 teams squared off in Championship Games while you guys were playing footsie with NBC.

That’s all predicated on the idea an undefeated Notre Dame would be the odd man out, not one of the one loss champions...it’s possible, but extremely unlikely.

4 16 team conferences

Play everyone in your conference

Top 2 in each conference make the playoffs

Three divisions will not necessarily get the two best teams into the CCG, which is what is causing this rethink by the Big Ten. A 3-5-5 scheduling model does. Which is what is best for the ACC since we already have an 8-game schedule. Is the Big Ten contemplating going back to an 8-game conference schedule? Or will the Big Ten add a 15th school and go 3-6-6? Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,
Neil

Duh, 3-6-6 won't work with 15 so it's either 8 conference games or expanding to 16 with a 3-6-6 schedule.
Correct. A number of us worked out the perfection of 3+5 (5) scheduling even before Cuse and Pitt started ACC play. All of us would gain by playing everyone regularly, and the most historic and important rivalries would remain annual.

Time to do it.

One great thing about 3-5-5 is that if all the stars and planets of the universe were in the proper alignment and ND joined the ACC, we wouldn’t have to bring in a 16th team by shifting to 4-5-5.
And that is the main reason that Delaney and the Big Ten led the fight to keep the NCAA rule from changing. They are so terrified of ND as a full member of ACC football that they acted not thinking about how the rule change could benefit the BT but thinking about how to keep from helping the ACC arrange its play in a way that might make it easier for ND to take the plunge with a full league schedule in football.

To remind, or explain, I'll use UNC as an example.

In a 14 team league, each member has 13 league foes. Each team can have 3 annual rivals with no overlap - everybody has 3 - no more and no less. That leaves 10 league foes, which are divided into 2 groups of 5. Your team's league of 8 games is the 3 annual rivals plus one of your team's group of 5.

For UNC, annual rivals would be UVA (South's Oldest Rivalry), Dook (Victory Bell), and MooU (NCSU). I'd prefer to drop that latter one, but there is no way it could be done. For convenience sake, we can have UNC's Group A foes be old Coastal rivals Pitt, VT, GT, and Miami plus Louisville, leaving our Group B foes as BC, Cuse, Wake, Clemson, and FSU.

You can play it over 4 years either as A, A, B, B, or A, B, A, B. Either way, all of us play every other league foe at least twice every 4 year cycle.

That’s all predicated on the idea an undefeated Notre Dame would be the odd man out, not one of the one loss champions...it’s possible, but extremely unlikely.
Absolutely not.

They could lose that 13th game.

They will get screwed.

Just like the bevo and pac has.

And it will only continue for them...

If ND lost 1 game they wouldn't have been in the Final 4. Georgia and Ohio State would have been ahead of them so maybe they notice this and act accordingly? Being undefeated is the Teflon Don for them but 1 loss puts them in the pile with the rest and 2 losses kicks them out for good. ACC, they have a shot with 2 losses.

And that is the main reason that Delaney and the Big Ten led the fight to keep the NCAA rule from changing. They are so terrified of ND as a full member of ACC football that they acted not thinking about how the rule change could benefit the BT but thinking about how to keep from helping the ACC arrange its play in a way that might make it easier for ND to take the plunge with a full league schedule in football.

Funny that ND being in their head ended up costing them big time. Time to let go Jim.

Funny that ND being in their head ended up costing them big time. Time to let go Jim.
Yep.

The Big Ten spent decades trying to screw over ND so that BT football would gain while ND football would level off and then drop. And then as the last century closed, the BT then wanted ND in the BT.

It was the BT acting as Corleone godfather: keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

The BT is terrified of ND as fulll member of ACC football, and the BT is again desperate because of missing the playoffs yet again.

You guys know that ND isn’t even the most popular college football team in the country right? I mean they’re valuable and all, but some of the rhetoric here is over the top.

You guys know that ND isn’t even the most popular college football team in the country right? I mean they’re valuable and all, but some of the rhetoric here is over the top.
Yes, ND does not have the clout with audiences it used to have, but that means what to you?

ND outside the BT is a major threat to the BT. Recent events should mark how and why. No matter how gigantic BT schools are, no matter that they get a totally crooked (as in he cares not a bit how many violent criminals play for him) HC like Meyer who wins the NC, outside the midwest most CFB fans care very little about the BT. The ones like me who hate the BT, do not have it in the way that makes us watch the hated thing. Many who do not hate the BT are simply bored by it.

The BT fears Southern football, and the midwestern located power ND in the Southern based ACC is a deep fear because the threat is so great.

There are only 2 leagues that have been in the playoffs every year. The SEC and the Southern founded and Southern based ACC. You get ND, with its unique national fan base and national recruiting power, to move from 5 ACC games per year to the full slate, meaning ND is part of the race for a berth in the ACC Championship, and ACC football TV numbers will go up even more, as will the ability of ACC teams to recruit nationally, but especially in the midwest: where ND is located near Chicago, and where the BT MUST totally dominate recruiting and TV audience.

Then play 1 game and schedule 11 byes.

They would be left out.

Well if they don't know for sure who the most popular college football team in the country is part of the reason may be that the TNS-ESPN football polls are no longer released annually like they used to be. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Correct. A number of us worked out the perfection of 3+5 (5) scheduling even before Cuse and Pitt started ACC play. All of us would gain by playing everyone regularly, and the most historic and important rivalries would remain annual.

Time to do it.

I can't speak to whatever was discussed prior to SU and Pitt joining the ACC but I do remember you bringing this up when Swofford was attempting to get the rule changed. I believe in that thread you linked a Southern Pigskin article on the topic that you may have written.

You sold me on that concept then and I haven't changed my mind since. Only main difference I can recall back then was you wanting a 9 game conference schedule while Scooch and I thought that was unrealistic with the ND arrangement and the annual SEC/ACC rivalry games. I assume you have come around on that issue?

Anyway props for spreading the concept throughout ACC fandom.

Cheers,
Neil

Is that true? I always assumed that ND moved all needles the most. Do you think if they put all the teams up for bid tv rights wise, that ND wouldn't be the #1 pick? I think to me that's the barometer, the eye balls watching tv weekly and consisently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom