Depth is an issue | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Depth is an issue

Not in this day and age of the portal, bring in a kid who's ready (we swung and missed on McLeod)

As said above bench Taylor and get Q more time.

Q brings energy and spark on both sides of the floor, the part of his game that needs work is playing more under control but I will take that every day over what we are getting from JT.
If a 7'4" guy is available in the portal, he's probably a lemon

I wouldn't buy a used rolls royce on fb marketplace, probably a good reason it's there

Other guys in the portal, I'm less worried about , there can be a million reasons

Last edited:
Carey looks fine to me for his stage of development given the limited chances he's had. he's not a world beater or even good, but I see some potential there. quite mobile and has good body control for a 6'11 dude. he's not some lumbering stiff who is just tall. Im not sure how you can make much of any comment about Patterson.
I agree. Carey is right where he should be, and a ton more of a deterrent on D than Bennie who has no resistance in giving up space on the box or on drives to the hoop.

Depth is fine but the talent is subpar.

Call me crazy but I like Carey. He's a redshirt freshman and at the same stage is far and away better than Billy Celuck was. Celuck wasn't very good, but was a starter as a junior on a team that won 25 games and finished the season top 20. Carey, as he develops, is capable to give you what you need at the center spot to win games. I love his energy, he's coordinated, he's not a stiff, he hustles, he plays tough, he boxes out. Just needs S&C, continue to learn how to play at this level and the game will slow down for him.

Bell should probably come off the bench as the shooter.

Cuff should spell bad Mintz.

Q and Starling seem to work best together.

Benny/Taylor ...ride good Benny. He was doing well last night and got inexplicably pulled during the run. (I know his defense, but no one plays good defense...it was a track meet and thats fine if you're making shots and we were. He was active, had steals, grabbed boards and made some shots.)

There was a sequence as we cut the lead, that Mintz did not take a shot in 4 or 5 consecutive possessions. This was good Mintz. The shots were Brown 2x, Copeland and maybe Starling/Bennie. It was fast and free flowing, everyone active and involved. The team is better offensively when the ball isn't dying in Mintz' hands.

We have "inventory" more than we have depth.

Personally I think depth is overrated. If health and conditioning are on point and you aren't running a system that relies on high tempo/high physicality all you really need are 8 guys - Your starting 5 plus an extra ballhandler, big man and shooter/slasher. If your extra ballhandler can also shoot/slash, all the better. The keys are stockpiling enough talent and opportunity to allow for those three guys to emerge.

Last edited:
Those days be over. Nobody cares we were a force until the 2010s. Those are now ancient times .
Give me a break. Kids still know the Syracuse brand. It's about storytelling and recruiting. And building connections/relationships. We aren't Siena.

We have "inventory" more than we have depth.

Personally I think depth is overrated. If health and conditioning are on point and you aren't running a system that relies on high tempo/high physicality all you really need are 8 guys - Your starting 5 plus an extra ballhandler, big man and shooter/slasher. If your extra ballhandler can also shoot/slash, all the better. The keys are stockpiling enough talent to provide for those possibilities and having three guys emerge.
you watched the florida state game right ? the guys who stomped us last week ? ring any bells ?
the old JB mega minute days are hopefully as extinct as his dinosaur defense. no more short bench please.

Team gets gassed. Starling and Judah play too many minutes. Need Cuffe to get some more floor time.

We're not getting anything out of Taylor's minutes. Can't rely on Benny. Bell's streaky, for whatever reason Red gave Taylor minutes he didn't give Bell today. We need Copeland out there. He's easily our best two way player.

Maliq's done about all he can as a 5. Even at that it's not a position of great strength. We have no choice but to listen to more verses of The Ballad of Big Peter Carey.
We need a center. We probably needs a lot of centers because our centers seem to be hurt easily.

Give me a break. Kids still know the Syracuse brand. It's about storytelling and recruiting. And building connections/relationships. We aren't Siena.

But we're not UConn either... :(

We need an influx of real talent. The current roster has maybe 1-2 players who can get consistent minutes on a P5 top-25 team let alone start for them. This is why we get blown out when we play up a level in competition we just don't have the talent to compete at that level.

you watched the florida state game right ? the guys who stomped us last week ? ring any bells ?
the old JB mega minute days are hopefully as extinct as his dinosaur defense. no more short bench please.
FSU is not projected to make the tournament, or even be a "Last Four Out" team.

Team gets gassed. Starling and Judah play too many minutes. Need Cuffe to get some more floor time.

We're not getting anything out of Taylor's minutes. Can't rely on Benny. Bell's streaky, for whatever reason Red gave Taylor minutes he didn't give Bell today. We need Copeland out there. He's easily our best two way player.

Maliq's done about all he can as a 5. Even at that it's not a position of great strength. We have no choice but to listen to more verses of The Ballad of Big Peter Carey.
We keep hearing that Taylor does the things that don’t show up on the stat sheet that make him valuable and justify his playing time. I get the logic but I just don’t see it.

We keep hearing that Taylor does the things that don’t show up on the stat sheet that make him valuable and justify his playing time. I get the logic but I just don’t see it.
Yeah, uh, he rebounds alright. And as a team we don't rebound well, so that has real value.

But the rest?

Eeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh

But we're not UConn either... :(
My son is 20 and played high school basketball. In fact he played in the state championship, so he ain’t no slouch. If he wasn’t the son of an idiot who spends far too much time on this board, and ranting at home about SU hoops, he’d have no clue or interest in SUHoops.

Honestly I think kids these days follow players, not schools. That’s why he’s a Sacramento kings fan. He was a De’aaron Fox fan when Fox was in high school and was blowing up on social media.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom