Depth is an issue | Syracusefan.com

Depth is an issue

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
Team gets gassed. Starling and Judah play too many minutes. Need Cuffe to get some more floor time.

We're not getting anything out of Taylor's minutes. Can't rely on Benny. Bell's streaky, for whatever reason Red gave Taylor minutes he didn't give Bell today. We need Copeland out there. He's easily our best two way player.

Maliq's done about all he can as a 5. Even at that it's not a position of great strength. We have no choice but to listen to more verses of The Ballad of Big Peter Carey.

Injury riddled team combined with a couple of players that haven’t developed then throw in a couple of big man projects and you end up with depth issues.
Too many project bigs. Was a major problem at the end of the JB era. Need to cut bait with schollies this offseason as others have discussed. Hima, Carey, Taylor, maybe Cuffe

We just aren't that good. Bottom line. Has nothing to do with depth.
Injury riddled team combined with a couple of players that haven’t developed then throw in a couple of big man projects and you end up with depth issues.
Injury riddled? We have one injury (Westry) of any significance. Starling is not and has not been injured. Who else has been injured?

Injury riddled? We have one injury (Westry) of any significance. Starling is not and has not been injured. Who else has been injured?
McCleod

I'm not a McCleod believer, but he's a better option for minutes at the 5 than Carey or Hima, and Brown can't go 40.
Going back to my original point - we need better players.

Even our better players are fatally flawed. Brown is the only net positive player. Starling a close second.

Mintz, Benny, Bell, Taylor, they’re all decent but they all have major major issues. We need better players.

Even our better players are fatally flawed. Brown is the only net positive player. Starling a close second.

Mintz, Benny, Bell, Taylor, they’re all decent but they all have major major issues. We need better players.
We don't disagree. That's why the post is titled "depth is an issue."

If we had better players it wouldn't be an issue.

Do we really believe McLeod is someone that would create more wins than we currently have?

14 mpg, 4 ppg, 4 rpg.

I do not believe that.
Yes. McLeod's 10 or 15 minutes allowed Red many more options and flexibility in terms of rotations, and eased the minutes crunch for Brown.

I, for the life of me, cannot fathom how our depth is so bad. Justin, Cuffe, Hima, Carey, Patterson. They look like they don’t belong on a D1 team. How did we fall so much that we can’t field a full competitive d1 lineup?

I, for the life of me, cannot fathom how our depth is so bad. Justin, Cuffe, Hima, Carey, Patterson. They look like they don’t belong on a D1 team. How did we fall so much that we can’t field a full competitive d1 lineup?
Carey looks fine to me for his stage of development given the limited chances he's had. he's not a world beater or even good, but I see some potential there. quite mobile and has good body control for a 6'11 dude. he's not some lumbering stiff who is just tall. Im not sure how you can make much of any comment about Patterson.

I will say this however, Taylor is so slow with the ball that he cant even beat his man to a spot going horizontally. it makes it almost impossible for him to do anything. He can't create space to make an uncontested pass and certainly cannot get open enough for his own shot. The only time i see him get by anyone is when they rush at him out of control thinking hes going to put it up. bobby knight would be proud when that happens.

There needs to be major roster activity in off season. We’re not good in many areas of the game

In addition to McLeod and Westry, Hima has been hampered by injuries all year. So basically 25% of the team.

Carey looks fine to me for his stage of development given the limited chances he's had. he's not a world beater or even good, but I see some potential there. quite mobile and has good body control for a 6'11 dude. he's not some lumbering stiff who is just tall. Im not sure how you can make much of any comment about Patterson.

We are Syracuse University. We shouldn’t have to bring in a center prospect that needs 3 years of development to get him ready to play.

We are Syracuse University. We shouldn’t have to bring in a center prospect that needs 3 years of development to get him ready to play.
Not in this day and age of the portal, bring in a kid who's ready (we swung and missed on McLeod)

As said above bench Taylor and get Q more time.

Q brings energy and spark on both sides of the floor, the part of his game that needs work is playing more under control but I will take that every day over what we are getting from JT.

How? When the previous coach stuck around too long and everyone knew it and also wasn't very engaged/invested in recruiting towards the end.

And there are those who argue that playing zone didn't hurt center recruiting.

Those days be over. Nobody cares we were a force until the 2010s. Those are now ancient times .

Not sure why JJ gets a pass. I know I get labeled as a hater, but Starling's PER is .2 points better than Bell and his defensive rating is the worst on the team which is right in line with how he was last year at Notre Dame. I know he's been good offensively the past few games, but we still aren't getting what we need out of that position.

Copeland is better than him overall. Copeland and Brown are the only 2 guys we are getting what we need out of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom