Derrick Coleman still has a problem with Lampkin getting 44 | Syracusefan.com

Derrick Coleman still has a problem with Lampkin getting 44

Yup. He’s insufferable now. Paulie gives him a chance to clear the air and he continues to throw Autry under the bus. He’s become a bitter old legend. It’s sad.

I’m the only #1 draft pick ever. How dare they give some kid MY Number Lol. He literally said that

“What will it take for you to clear the air with SU basketball?”

“Why dont you ask them!”

Last edited:
Need to end this nonsense and put it on Allen for football prior to the season ending maybe for the Miami game.

SU got petty with DC when he wanted to use it for his businesses though so he at least had a gripe unlike meathead Konrad.

Shame it’s bringing out the worst in so many. Floyd Littles wife was just as foolish wanting to block Sean from wearing it but wanting her walkon grandson to have it.

its hard to defend DC when it makes it about him, not the greater point or the people that came before and after him. He could have said, "The school's actions against me for the licensing or whatever were unnecessary. we could have resolved this in a better way. nothing against eddie, i hope he crushes it but there was only one 44 in basketball..." etc.

He has a beef with the University. He will always love the people/fans here. He was here last weekend for the Ga Tech game and he hung out at The Orange Crate afterwards taking pictures and chatting with whoever asked. He was great. He is in the discussion with Bing and Melo as the most talented ever to suit up here.

He has a beef with the University. He will always love the people/fans here. He was here last weekend for the Ga Tech game and he hung out at The Orange Crate afterwards taking pictures and chatting with whoever asked. He was great. He is in the discussion with Bing and Melo as the most talented ever to suit up here.
I think it's fair to separate the two but when asked about his thoughts on next year's team he replied with I haven't been following...

Bringing it full circle - if he still is all about SU but has some complaints then whatever. Just don’t get in the way of the programs success.

This sounds like an interview not worth giving the time listening akin to DC not giving Red and Eddie a fair shake. Not to mention making it all about him.

But then why is he trashing Red and our coaches on his Instagram and social media? They’re fellow alumni, graduated just a few years apart, and he calls them “clowns.” It’s a terrible look and hugely disappointing when Red is trying to bring the program back to prominence. I love DC but that was beyond the pale.

Had he hit two more free throws in his career I might see his point.

I was 10 in 86. I had no concept of a world where SU was going to lose that game, I cried. I don't believe I've cried since, gotten choked up a couple of times but not actual crying. Weird to look back and realize that event had a major effect on my development and view on how the world actually was.

I also had no concept that it would take 17 years to get one or how elated I would be after that 17 year wait.

Did he have an issue with John Wallace wearing 44 like 2-3 years after he was gone? If not then, why now?
Who knows. Hard to determine why people feel a certain way about things. Maybe it is because Eddie is a one year player and Cuse is his third team. Whereas Wallace came in at a time where players were more loyal to programs an stayed for the entirety of their college career.

Bottom line is DC is one of my favorite players of all time. His opinion on not wanting Eddie to wear his former number is not going to change that.

"After Ross’ concert, Lampkin met with him and gave him the Syracuse jersey, which featured the No. 44 and Lampkin’s name on the back. He also gave Ross a gray hoodie with Syracuse Orange on the front."

This should go over well with DC.

Had he hit two more free throws in his career I might see his point.
1726078102236.jpeg

Who knows. Hard to determine why people feel a certain way about things. Maybe it is because Eddie is a one year player and Cuse is his third team. Whereas Wallace came in at a time where players were more loyal to programs an stayed for the entirety of their college career.

Bottom line is DC is one of my favorite players of all time. His opinion on not wanting Eddie to wear his former number is not going to change that.
He can publicly object to Lampkin wearing 44. I don’t love those comments, but I can accept his feelings on the subject. What’s unacceptable and infuriating is DC undermining Red and our coaches (his fellow Orange alums!) by publicly disparaging them on social media. Not cool at all. Sherm, Pearl, DC, Billy Owens and Melo are on my Mt Rushmore of favorite SU players, so his comments are deeply disappointing.

He can publicly object to Lampkin wearing 44. I don’t love those comments, but I can accept his feelings on the subject. What’s unacceptable and infuriating is DC undermining Red and our coaches (his fellow Orange alums!) by publicly disparaging them on social media. Not cool at all. Sherm, Pearl, DC, Billy Owens and Melo are on my Mt Rushmore of favorite SU players, so his comments are deeply disappointing.

Outside of this interview I haven’t seen any disparaging posts on social media to be fair since the original ordeal. He does post a ton of old
game footage and orange legacy stuff I notice in the spirit of trying to recapture that feeling a la the mid life crisis kind of stuff. He’s gotta know he’s orange royalty and that will never change. There is just no need to go after the current team and program even if you feel like you are owed something.

To be fair I would imagine many others are salty about NIL and what gets kid while still in college today vs what they had to back in their time. Combine that with the number stuff and it stacks up.

Outside of this interview I haven’t seen any disparaging posts on social media to be fair since the original ordeal. He does post a ton of old
game footage and orange legacy stuff I notice in the spirit of trying to recapture that feeling a la the mid life crisis kind of stuff. He’s gotta know he’s orange royalty and that will never change. There is just no need to go after the current team and program even if you feel like you are owed something.

To be fair I would imagine many others are salty about NIL and what gets kid while still in college today vs what they had to back in their time. Combine that with the number stuff and it stacks up.
That's too bad. It's life. Athletes of days gone by didn't make what they do now. That sure doesn't give him license to flame Red and the coaches and players. He want's to go to a game now, buy a ticket.