Derrick Coleman still has a problem with Lampkin getting 44 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Derrick Coleman still has a problem with Lampkin getting 44

I was 10 in 86. I had no concept of a world where SU was going to lose that game, I cried. I don't believe I've cried since, gotten choked up a couple of times but not actual crying. Weird to look back and realize that event had a major effect on my development and view on how the world actually was.

I also had no concept that it would take 17 years to get one or how elated I would be after that 17 year wait.

10? I was 31 and I cried.

That's too bad. It's life. Athletes of days gone by didn't make what they do now. That sure doesn't give him license to flame Red and the coaches and players. He want's to go to a game now, buy a ticket.

I don’t disagree. Disappointed he did the orange nation interview given things have been quiet since his previous outburst.

Here’s the interview

Last edited:
Here’s the interview

Broke my word and listened to it anyway. DC sounds like a jaded ex gf with how he is approaching this. Doing an event for FLJ, former players and Fran then notably leaving out the current team and Red is just a really immature and childish way to handle a grievance. It’s weird hearing someone talk about doing good for others but also being so self centered at the same time. Mentioning that Jdub idolized him too was weird.

I know they felt they needed to ask the question but hopefully that’s the last time they do.

A Syracuse basketball legend, but losing my tolerance for his actions whether calculated or not to outcast the men’s basketball program.

When the show started and the way Paulie asked, I thought “Oh, cool - DC has a chance to cool things down here”. Listened for about 10 seconds, realized DC brought a can of gasoline and a box of matches and shut it off.

He can be as upset as he wants behind closed doors - but he should be embarrassed and ashamed at his conduct. Should be - but knowing DC he won’t be. I’m done with him, he’s a clown.

Did he have an issue with John Wallace wearing 44 like 2-3 years after he was gone? If not then, why now?
Because when JW got it, the# was still being used on football and hoops. It didn't become contentious until Gross retired it for football, which was a terrible, terrible idea. The "Legend" is less meaningful with each passing year.

I will say given that we’re spending almost what we paid for McCord on Lampkin… seems like something ain’t right.

Listening to that it sounds like he just wanted to be involved and wasn’t. Now, maybe he wanted his involvement to be to say no, but maybe he also just wanted a chance to be consulted. And do I think they need to call every guy who ever wore a number to ask their permission? Absolutely not, but we all acknowledge that 44 is a special number and DC is a special alumni. Make the call, keep him in the inner circle. It doesn’t cost you anything to do that.

Listening to that it sounds like he just wanted to be involved and wasn’t. Now, maybe he wanted his involvement to be to say no, but maybe he also just wanted a chance to be consulted. And do I think they need to call every guy who ever wore a number to ask their permission? Absolutely not, but we all acknowledge that 44 is a special number and DC is a special alumni. Make the call, keep him in the inner circle. It doesn’t cost you anything to do that.

Sounded like he wanted more than that even- almost as though he feels he should have been considered/asked to be part of the staff etc. That’s probably over analysis but feels like it’s about more than just the number

Broke my word and listened to it anyway. DC sounds like a jaded ex gf with how he is approaching this. Doing an event for FLJ, former players and Fran then notably leaving out the current team and Red is just a really immature and childish way to handle a grievance. It’s weird hearing someone talk about doing good for others but also being so self centered at the same time. Mentioning that Jdub idolized him too was weird.

I know they felt they needed to ask the question but hopefully that’s the last time they do.
No interest in listening, but is this about not using it for an incoming highly rated freshman?

I'm 56 and I cry every time I think about that game.
I left my "victory shots" on the bar at Bobby Valentine's Sports Cafe in Milford CT. I've never watched the Smart shot again. I've never criticized DC, called my best friend after and just said "he had 19 rebounds." But yeah DC...it's not about you anymore.

He can publicly object to Lampkin wearing 44. I don’t love those comments, but I can accept his feelings on the subject. What’s unacceptable and infuriating is DC undermining Red and our coaches (his fellow Orange alums!) by publicly disparaging them on social media. Not cool at all. Sherm, Pearl, DC, Billy Owens and Melo are on my Mt Rushmore of favorite SU players, so his comments are deeply disappointing.
Seeing as the limit for a Mount Rushmore is four, I guess DC is off the mountain! :p

I was 10 in 86. I had no concept of a world where SU was going to lose that game, I cried. I don't believe I've cried since, gotten choked up a couple of times but not actual crying. Weird to look back and realize that event had a major effect on my development and view on how the world actually was.

I also had no concept that it would take 17 years to get one or how elated I would be after that 17 year wait.
The only thing you need remember from that game is Sherm shaking Joe Hillman out of his base layer with the fake behind the back pass

Ok.....

wheres-the-beef.jpg

Outside of this interview I haven’t seen any disparaging posts on social media to be fair since the original ordeal. He does post a ton of old
game footage and orange legacy stuff I notice in the spirit of trying to recapture that feeling a la the mid life crisis kind of stuff. He’s gotta know he’s orange royalty and that will never change. There is just no need to go after the current team and program even if you feel like you are owed something.

To be fair I would imagine many others are salty about NIL and what gets kid while still in college today vs what they had to back in their time. Combine that with the number stuff and it stacks up.
You must have missed it. The comments were discussed on here a few months ago. It was in the comments on an Instagram thread that DC posted on June 25 about Lampkin, and it’s still up. Scoop also joined in and others piled on. DC called our staff “clowns” and disparaged them. I’m sure Red loved that. I’m wondering if there’s an issue between them that goes beyond 44 and the lawsuit. I noticed he never congratulated Red when he got the job. You’d think he would be happy that a fellow Orange alum got the gig. All I know is that need all our alumni pulling in the same direction and helping Red to succeed.

Last edited: