Derrick Coleman still has a problem with Lampkin getting 44 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Derrick Coleman still has a problem with Lampkin getting 44

Negative- all about DC making it about himself and that he should be notified before it’s used and that it was his number.

I think this all ties back to his dispute with SU - he wants to use "44" and phrases like "My SU Life" on merchandise. He seems to think he "owns" 44 and is solely responsible for its legacy at Syracuse; this situation just reinforces that he, in fact - does not.

I could see him feeling that using 44 should be OK (and depending on context it probably would be, although that doesn't include the ways he wants to...) - but that he thought using the phrase "My SU Life" was OK indicates he's really not all that bright, is incredibly arrogant and egotistical or both since there's absolutely no way Syracuse University wouldn't block that.

I think this all ties back to his dispute with SU - he wants to use "44" and phrases like "My SU Life" on merchandise. He seems to think he "owns" 44 and is solely responsible for its legacy at Syracuse; this situation just reinforces that he, in fact - does not.

I could see him feeling that using 44 should be OK (and depending on context it probably would be, although that doesn't include the ways he wants to...) - but that he thought using the phrase "My SU Life" was OK indicates he's really not all that bright, is incredibly arrogant and egotistical or both since there's absolutely no way Syracuse University wouldn't block that.
I originally thought it was about the legal dispute with SU, but Red has no control over the university’s lawsuit. That’s way above his station. The Instagram nastiness indicates to me that he also has negative feelings about Red for some reason. He never congratulated him publicly when he got the job, and that stood out to me considering his longtime vigorous support for the program. Disappointed in DC.

Last edited:
I originally thought it was about the legal dispute with SU, but Red has no control over the university’s lawsuit. That’s way above his station. The Instagram nastiness indicates to me that he also has negative feelings about Red for some reason. He never congratulated him when he got the job, and that stood out to me considering his longtime vigorous support for the program. Disappointed in DC.

I agree with that, there's obviously some personal beef between DC and Red.

Wow, he sounds bitter and bullheaded in that interview. He hasn’t “paid attention” when Paulie asked him his views of the upcoming season and said nothing positive about Red. I hope Coach Jack calls out his BS when she sees him. Coach Boeheim needs to as well. This is a bad look.

I originally thought it was about the legal dispute with SU, but Red has no control over the university’s lawsuit. That’s way above his station. The Instagram nastiness indicates to me that he also has negative feelings about Red for some reason. He never congratulated him publicly when he got the job, and that stood out to me considering his longtime vigorous support for the program. Disappointed in DC.
Nice catch. I didn't realize DC didn't publicly congratulate Red. Maybe there is more there than meets the eye. I think Scoop was mad that Red hired outsiders as assistants; maybe he wanted a job (which, by the way, given the program's performance the last decade I'm glad Red's not just handing out jobs to his friends and instead is focused on hiring whoever will make the program elite again).

I loved watching DC play and feel he may be the best hoops player to come out of Syracuse (plenty to argue there, I know) but DC has said that he wanted 44 because of George Gervin (no SU reason) and I think he fancies himself the basketball equivalent to Jim Brown (I don't think he feels he is Ernie Davis). I think for that reason, he feels he should have free reign to use the "brand" as he pleases, and should have the same "ask" policy that football now has (which is a dumb policy IMO). That may be some of his beef with Red (didn't ask) and while I doubt Boeheim asked DC before assigning it to Wallace, I think DC just has a different respect for JB that he doesn't have for Red.

Said as much just minutes ago on Orange Nation.

Will try to post when available.

He's not the only guy to wear it in basketball, so, maybe that's why you don't have a deal with the University for your restaurant.

I loved watching DC play and feel he may be the best hoops player to come out of Syracuse (plenty to argue there, I know) but DC has said that he wanted 44 because of George Gervin (no SU reason) and I think he fancies himself the basketball equivalent to Jim Brown (I don't think he feels he is Ernie Davis). I think for that reason, he feels he should have free reign to use the "brand" as he pleases, and should have the same "ask" policy that football now has (which is a dumb policy IMO). That may be some of his beef with Red (didn't ask) and while I doubt Boeheim asked DC before assigning it to Wallace, I think DC just has a different respect for JB that he doesn't have for Red.

Yeah, John Wallace took us to a championship game, too, wearing it. I don't see him demanding to be asked. I think a couple other guys wore it, too.

Love seeing our alums connect with the current guys…
Do better, DC.
Yeah, great to see this support today, after DC’s comments. Billy O and John Wallace were teammates of Red’s, so it make sense that they have good relationships. It’s interesting, though, because Billy Owens and DC have been close friends going back to their Cuse days. Maybe Billy can talk some sense into DC and broker peace.

The Express was on TV, I was on my way out but absent mindedly sat down to catch a few minutes of it, saw in the movie Ernie went up to Ben Schwartzwalder saying there must have been a mistake for giving him the #44, because "I am not Jim Brown". May be that's what Derrick wanted Lampkin to do to refuse #44.

The Express was on TV, I was on my way out but absent mindedly sat down to catch a few minutes of it, saw in the movie Ernie went up to Ben Schwartzwalder saying there must have been a mistake for giving him the #44, because "I am not Jim Brown". May be that's what Derrick wanted Lampkin to do to refuse #44.
And maybe I wanted kate Beckinsale to say that I'm the only man for her. Both of us would be disappointed if that was what we were looking for. Jim Brown might be the greatest football player ever.

Derrick is no Danny Schayes, at least as far as a lengthy NBA career. :p
I don't remember Danny claiming to own #44.

Derrick is no Danny Schayes, at least as far as a lengthy NBA career. :p
I don't remember Danny claiming to own #44.

I think there were a couple other guys, too. I thought Rudy Hackett might have been one of them, but when I went back to check, I'm pretty sure I saw that he wore number 45.