Devito and yesterdays box score | Syracusefan.com

Devito and yesterdays box score

FRANKIEFAN

Hall of Fame
So I thought Tommy was pretty much perfect yesterday. His one bad play was missing the open guy on the 3rd down right at the end of the first quarter. Throws directly into the wind were on the money and I wasn't sure I'd see that kind of accuracy out of the Dome. Honestly its hard to get an arm like that at this level.

But he only had 6 completions. That sort of sums up how terrible our WRs are other than Trish and the tight ends who we don't use much and I don't think Benson was ready for a large role THIS year.
Next year TE is a major strength. At least Jackson sometimes makes that 1 handed circus catch he went for. Harris drops perfectly thrown balls most of the time if a DB is near him.

Every team I watch has better WRs than us. Even the service academies. If we just add 1 good grad transfer WR it would change everything.

1-2 Trish + Grad Transfer
2 good tight ends.

Then Harris/Johnson/Johnson/Jordan etc etc.

But he only had 6 completions. That sort of sums up how terrible our WRs are other than Trish and the tight ends who we don't use much and I don't think Benson was ready for a large role THIS year.

Couldn’t disagree with this take more. We had only six completions because:
1. It was extremely windy.
2. We were comfortably ahead the whole game so the running game was used.
3. We were pretty effective at running the ball yesterday.

As far as the WR’s go, this is basically the same group as last year except switch Jackson for Custis. Did our WR’s stink last year or did they suddenly all regress over the season? Maybe their are other factors for a weak passing game.

Couldn’t disagree with this take more. We had only six completions because:
1. It was extremely windy.
2. We were comfortably ahead the whole game so the running game was used.
3. We were pretty effective at running the ball yesterday.

As far as the WR’s go, this is basically the same group as last year except switch Jackson for Custis. Did our WR’s stink last year or did they suddenly all regress over the season? Maybe their are other factors for a weak passing game.

I think they all got worse and thats a huge reason for our struggles. We have a good QB who hasn't been helped out at all.

Look at Riley he is slow, small, and makes bad decisions. Somehow he was a productive player for 3 years before this. He lost a step. Both Johnsons flashed game breaker potential early but its gone this year. Taj Harris couldn't even put on some muscle and drops it even more than he did last year.

1 grad transfer opposite Jackson thats good and everything changes.

I saw us force the ball a few times to Harris. If we didn’t do that I think his stats would look better

So I thought Tommy was pretty much perfect yesterday. His one bad play was missing the open guy on the 3rd down right at the end of the first quarter. Throws directly into the wind were on the money and I wasn't sure I'd see that kind of accuracy out of the Dome. Honestly its hard to get an arm like that at this level.

Next year TE is a major strength. At least Jackson sometimes makes that 1 handed circus catch he went for. Harris drops perfectly thrown balls most of the time if a DB is near him.

Every team I watch has better WRs than us. Even the service academies. If we just add 1 good grad transfer WR it would change everything.

2 good tight ends.

Um, no. I think it summarizes the crappy weather conditions, dropped balls, and under thrown/overthrown balls (greatly impacted by the weather). Did you watch the game or just check the box score?

2 good tight ends.

Perfect, I must have imagined Taj running wide open on the first series for easy TD and the ball 5 yards overthrown. TD played well. Your recievers analysis is just plain wrong.

But he only had 6 completions. That sort of sums up how terrible our WRs are other than Trish and the tight ends who we don't use much and I don't think Benson was ready for a large role THIS year. ... Next year TE is a major strength. At least Jackson sometimes makes that 1 handed circus catch he went for. ...

Good analysis.
I wonder if Benson could play WR - he has good speed as well as size.

I think they all got worse and thats a huge reason for our struggles. We have a good QB who hasn't been helped out at all.

Look at Riley he is slow, small, and makes bad decisions. Somehow he was a productive player for 3 years before this. He lost a step. Both Johnsons flashed game breaker potential early but its gone this year. Taj Harris couldn't even put on some muscle and drops it even more than he did last year.

1 grad transfer opposite Jackson thats good and everything changes.

Lol, 99.9% of our struggles aren't because our WR's got worse, it's because we didn't have time to pass the ball effectively. Tommy had zero time until Duke.

Tommy played well yesterday hope he gets better over time. I think the announcers said something like out of the 15 TD passes only 4 have been against ACC competition. Many things go into that stay but that's something to look at.

Tommy played well yesterday hope he gets better over time. I think the announcers said something like out of the 15 TD passes only 4 have been against ACC competition. Many things go into that stay but that's something to look at.
Yesterday Tommy ran the offense the way it always should be. If you go back to Dino's previous stops. He always took what the defense gave him and made them stop what he was doing. This is not a passing or running offense it's beat the opponent with what they give you.

Yesterday Tommy ran the offense the way it always should be. If you go back to Dino's previous stops. He always took what the defense gave him and made them stop what he was doing. This is not a passing or running offense it's beat the opponent with what they give you.

Not sure why you quoted me but ok.

8 of his 19 have been vs ACC comp

edit: and 1 out of his 5 INT has been in ACC play

Last edited:
8 of his 19 have been vs ACC comp

edit: and 1 out of his 5 INT has been in ACC play

There you go. They mentioned it during the first half of the game, I had to attend my niece's birthday party so had to turn it off then.

Just mentioned in another thread, but I was curious about several plays (obvious passing downs in some cases) where we only had Jackson running a route. Was this the effect of: not trusting the protection? Knowing Devito's tendency to not come off his initial reads? The wind? The game situation (playing with the lead lead to some very conservative play calling thru the last 3 quarters)? All of the above?

I know winning is everything, but Tommy has put in a pretty good year by Syracuse standards

In their first 10 games, a QB who has competed 60% of their passes, over 17 TD, and under 10 INT in the last 19 years:

QBCompletionsAttemptsComp %YdsTDINTRating
Nassib, 201224138063.43019218144.2
Nassib, 201121734562.92257206133.5
DeVito,

weird game for him. The wind definitely effected his second half performance. Also, we were in control and the run game was dominate so why throw it. I felt like he did what he had to do to get us the lead and kind of just went through the motions the rest of the game in terms of play call. No WR screens really that I can think of. I have no complaints with devito last game. He seemed to look comfortable, played well. He ran the ball 3-5 times and was effective!! That’s huge! He is still learning. I am liking what I saw. Next week is the real test for what this team is.

I think Duke once again showed the limitation of stats as to evaluating a QB's play.

Thought Tommy played well Saturday and the stats weren't that impressive.

Stats have been much more ostensibly impressive in earlier games where the eye test says he hasn't played well.

I think it’s unfortunate that the first game where TD actually had some protection, we had to deal with pretty strong winds, which undoubtedly played a role.

I suspect most of the problems with WRs this year have been relative to the OL. Some has been TD and the WRs just not communicating. IF the OL can remain stout for the rest of our games, I suspect WR productivity will look a lot better.

I think Duke once again showed the limitation of stats as to evaluating a QB's play.

Thought Tommy played well Saturday and the stats weren't that impressive.

Stats have been much more ostensibly impressive in earlier games where the eye test says he hasn't played well.

Stats do not tell the whole story, sure. But I wouldn’t disregard them either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom