Devito missed opportunities yesterday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Devito missed opportunities yesterday

These are just stills, so there could be more to this, but the first pic is pretty damning. 3rd and 3. Johnson beginning his cut with plenty of room at the first down marker. That ball has to be essentially on its way already.

View attachment 187838
ur exactly right. Ball should already be in air.0 reason it isnt

Watching the Eagles and they have the worst OL in the league after Week 1. The Babers and Gilbert by proxy need to utilize the tight ends and get him out of the pocket to make throws the way Philly has with Wentz to alleviate the pressure. Yes, Tommy has his issues, but he needs help from his staff.

I am really rooting for the kid, but after a few years, it seems like there are some mechanical lack of ability to look off primary targets and improvise well.

Twenty targets to Harris yesterday is just insane. Could that be by design? Suuure, but given last year we saw the heavy focus to Jackson, I am not so sure.

Loved his willingness to run yesterday.

Hardening back to when he spelled ED against Florida State, would love to see more screens, which he throws quick and on a rope.

This kid was manufactured to be special. He doesn’t have a great line at the moment, but hope he starts to street ball a little more. He has talent.

Good post, makes alot of sense. He targeted TH bc there has been no proven wr development at the other 3 spots. Add in our OL issues and now we have Hackett and benson staying in to block on passing downs instead of running routes as targets. The game is too fast for him and as you said he needs that street ad lib thing added to his game. Thing is, not all kids have that intangible.

Good post, makes alot of sense. He targeted TH bc there has been no proven wr development at the other 3 spots. Add in our OL issues and now we have Hackett and benson staying in to block on passing downs instead of running routes as targets. The game is too fast for him and as you said he needs that street ad lib thing added to his game. Thing is, not all kids have that intangible.
The catch-22 is you can’t prove wide receiver development in the other spots if they aren’t thrown to.

These are just stills, so there could be more to this, but the first pic is pretty damning. 3rd and 3. Johnson beginning his cut with plenty of room at the first down marker. That ball has to be essentially on its way already.

If you look at the next still which is at 8:49, Johnson is 6 yards down field behind the defender. So it makes me wonder what route was Nykiem running, yes if he was supposed to run a 3 yard route and expect the ball on the break for the 1st down then that is on Tommy, but if he isn't looking back yet because the route was supposed to be 6 yards not 3 or he fails to look for the ball for some reason and then the defender is now on him then we have a serious problem with our routes based on down and distance which we seem to have many time anyways. One of the things I wonder about DeVito is he afraid to throw interceptions. He threw a few inexplicable ones last year early in the year when he either was trying to throw it away or tried to force it. Then ended with only 5 ints for the year, but quite often didn't throw the ball on deeper throws where it was catchable by anyone, either overthrown and/or thrown out of bounds, or hesitant to throw short when the receiver hasn't come out of his break. This has the look of not wanting to throw before the receiver has come out of his break, even after that, he is now looking away and Hackett is open this is all puzzling, this isn't an isolated instance. I would have thought in film work this would have been pointed out and would be a focus in practice. Maybe it is and it is a game time thing where there is hesitation, but this has to be corrected, we are not as bad as we have shown last year and this game on offense, I refuse to believe that some how there are more than a few non-P5 teams have better offensive talent than we do.

1600026378728.png

Now again the Wrs have issues also, Tommy did make some good throws, Taj has a step on his man on one of the few middle down field throws and it hits him in the helmet!!!!! Did he not expect a pass at that point, could he not locate the ball, I don't know, an aggressive receiver adjusts and goes up and gets the ball, its as if he never saw it. It's plays like that where there was no safety help, it's one on one and should be a catch or PI if he locates the ball adjusts his speed and turns to go up and aggressively go after the ball.

Tommy for his part needs to be better overall with his touch and placement on some of the throws down field, but on the sideline routes where there is tight coverage why not any back shoulder throws? Those are tailor made for a receiver like Taj who after the catch can slip some tackles.

We can't afford to miss on the few plays where the ball is there and should be caught. We have a small margin for error.

View attachment 187838

The thing w/ stills is that it's easy to pick apart someone's game from there. In real-time, the game moves so much faster that it's difficult to process what's going on from their vantage.

The catch-22 is you can’t prove wide receiver development in the other spots if they aren’t thrown to.

Agree, but for some reason TD hasn't developed a chemistry with the other 3 positions in practice.

The thing w/ stills is that it's easy to pick apart someone's game from there. In real-time, the game moves so much faster that it's difficult to process what's going on from their vantage.

Yeah, I'm not gonna crucify the kid over some still shots. Problem is, it was visible at game speed as well. I think I'm being too hard on him after one game though, but he isn't trending in the right direction. The 5 INTs last year is looking more, and more like it's a result of his fear to take shots. Gimme Favre, and the gunslinger mentality over that all day. Especially when that fear is turning into not even having the confidence to hit open receivers.

That is true, especially with a young QB. For a SR who has been in the system 4 years you expect things to slow down and come easier. Hopefully it starts clicking by game 3.

Can’t disagree with anything you said. What was the alignment at the snap? Is Johnson not the first read? Was there a pre snap read? Did Johnson round off his route?

but looking at that, Johnson is getting a big cushion and I assume was getting one at the snap as well. Devito has his back leg planted at the depth of his drop looking to the right just as Johnson is making his break. That’s a pass that has to come out right then to the wide open receiver for a 1st down. Why that didn’t happen could have a few causes, but this is something that good teams do.

Agree, but for some reason TD hasn't developed a chemistry with the other 3 positions in practice.
I don’t really think it’s a chemistry issue.

I liked the runs up the middle for some first downs yesterday. We need that type of QB play. I liked some throw aways. It sounds crazy but last year he ran out of bounds a few times which was head scratching.

We need to take some more chances. On our team with our skill players nobody is ever going to always be wide open (or rarely). Not making mistakes is important but we also need to try to make plays.

For the bills Tyrod also had limited turnovers. But it was a function of how conservative he was. And it killed the bills at times.

TD is a great pocket passer but below average in-game quarterback and doesn't read the field well at all in live play. He simply lacks the vision intangible that successful QBs have. All of this is exacerbated by a bad offensive line and terrible play calling by the coaching staff irrationally sticking to an offensive philosophy that does not match the strength of the team. In order to be successful, this team will need to pass the ball to open up the run game. Trying to open up the pass with the run game is fundamentally flawed and will never succeed against quality opponents. The fact that Babers is unable to recognize this is mind-boggling.

However, it is important that we all keep in mind that just the fact that they are able to play football in the middle of a pandemic is something special. In the grand scheme of things, football pales in comparison to the sacrifices made by all of our frontline health care workers!

Yeah, I'm not gonna crucify the kid over some still shots. Problem is, it was visible at game speed as well. I think I'm being too hard on him after one game though, but he isn't trending in the right direction. The 5 INTs last year is looking more, and more like it's a result of his fear to take shots. Gimme Favre, and the gunslinger mentality over that all day. Especially when that fear is turning into not even having the confidence to hit open receivers.
One game this year... this wasn't his first college game. He has been on campus for 4 years now and he has played in 20 college football games and started 13 of them.

One game this year... this wasn't his first college game. He has been on campus for 4 years now and he has played in 20 college football games and started 13 of them.

Last year was trial by fire. I think he has a lot to work on, but he ran for his life last season. His clock was ticking at double time because of how little protection he got. It was a miracle they won five games last year given what we saw. They would have killed for an extra year of Koda Martin and Cody Conway on that line.

I hear ya. I'm just trying to keep my hopes alive with him since I really want him to succeed, and not just for my selfish reasons. He deserves more than one game this year before we completely jump ship. UNC is a solid squad, and this year is like nothing any of these kids have ever experienced. Chances are that this game was no fluke, and far from an outlier, but I'm trying here.

Pretty sure Queeley caught every catchable ball thrown his way.
And IIRC, 2 were for 1st downs.

He was the most promising receiver out there, IMO. Solid separation, and you can tell that he has a pair of reliable hands. 4 catches, and I don't remember any missed targets being on him. Nykeim only had 2 receptions, but he looks like he belongs out there to me too.

He's just not a good quarterback, it's plain as day.
I feel Dino will give TD a couple of more games. If he has not improved by then he needs to get replaced. People my say we don’t have quality back ups, but ask yourself could it really get worse. Give markinson or summers a shot. Many teams have made changes including freshman and it’s worked out.

He was the most promising receiver out there, IMO. Solid separation, and you can tell that he has a pair of reliable hands. 4 catches, and I don't remember any missed targets being on him. Nykeim only had 2 receptions, but he looks like he belongs out there to me too.

Agree. I was encouraged by Queeley and Nykeim looked like the player from 2 years ago that I was very high on when he had his opportunities yesterday.

ur exactly right. Ball should already be in air.0 reason it isnt

He reminds me of Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo, minus the running ability. Everyone lauded his lack of interceptions, but it was mostly due to the fact that he only threw to guys who were wide open. Never tried to fit it into tight windows. Never threw guys open. Never threw the ball before receivers went into their breaks. Also consistently overthrew deep balls and sideline throws because he was more worried about the negatives of throwing a pick versus the positives of letting his receiver make a play. Tommy does all of this, and it doesn't look likely to change.

He reminds me of Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo, minus the running ability. Everyone lauded his lack of interceptions, but it was mostly due to the fact that he only threw to guys who were wide open. Never tried to fit it into tight windows. Never threw guys open. Never threw the ball before receivers went into their breaks. Also consistently overthrew deep balls and sideline throws because he was more worried about the negatives of throwing a pick versus the positives of letting his receiver make a play. Tommy does all of this, and it doesn't look likely to change.

I beg to differ.

Tommy USED TO DO all of that, when he first got here.

But - he’s gotten PTSD / gun-shy now, and it seems like he’s not willing to take a shot, and/or doesn’t trust his WR’s to make a play on a 50/50 ball, like AET, Ish, and Custis did.

Given how far off he and Taj still seem, maybe he needs to look to Queeley or Nykeim or ANYBODY else (Hendrix?, Barron?) and try to get that working.

I hope it’s fixable.

I beg to differ.

Tommy USED TO DO all of that, when he first got here.

But - he’s gotten PTSD / gun-shy now, and it seems like he’s not willing to take a shot, and/or doesn’t trust his WR’s to make a play on a 50/50 ball, like AET, Ish, and Custis did.

Given how far off he and Taj still seem, maybe he needs to look to Queeley or Nykeim or ANYBODY else (Hendrix?, Barron?) and try to get that working.

I hope it’s fixable.

I'm not sure. I remember him being pretty proficient on the deep ball in his first few spot appearances. Not so sure about the other stuff though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom