Devito missed opportunities yesterday | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Devito missed opportunities yesterday

Give me a break on this stuff. I saw his best passes dropped and the coach couldn't even challenge a first down for him. He outgained the running backs as well.

But people expect him to extend plays like Dungey and find his 3rd and 4th options when his line breaks down and hes running for his life. Anything else and its mental issues or whatever nonsense.
people expect him to p/u open receivers. he doesn't look off the primary fast enough . that said he has no protection, no threat of a running game ---why were the te not utilized? i put this on babers and poor recruiting, sterlin for a uncreative offensive play calling.

I beg to differ.

Tommy USED TO DO all of that, when he first got here.

But - he’s gotten PTSD / gun-shy now, and it seems like he’s not willing to take a shot, and/or doesn’t trust his WR’s to make a play on a 50/50 ball, like AET, Ish, and Custis did.

Given how far off he and Taj still seem, maybe he needs to look to Queeley or Nykeim or ANYBODY else (Hendrix?, Barron?) and try to get that working.

I hope it’s fixable.
Are you saying he used to do things like throw before guys got out of their break and give WRs a chance to make a play on the ball but no longer does because of PTSD? That's how I read it and think there's a lot of accuracy there.

He may target Taj to avoid last years histrionics. I know TH has matured, etc.

people expect him to p/u open receivers. he doesn't look off the primary fast enough . that said he has no protection, no threat of a running game ---why were the te not utilized? i put this on babers and poor recruiting, sterlin for a uncreative offensive play calling.

Yeah. But the guy before him was basically Cam Newton and the hardest guy to tackle on the field who could keep plays alive forever which gave him time to find the other receivers if he didn't run. So people demand the same.

One more good lineman, one of the RBs who opted out, and a WR to target 20 times a game that isn't the skinniest 6-3 twig I've ever seen and we'd probably have something.

Yeah. But the guy before him was basically Cam Newton and the hardest guy to tackle on the field who could keep plays alive forever which gave him time to find the other receivers if he didn't run. So people demand the same.

One more good lineman, one of the RBs who opted out, and a WR to target 20 times a game that isn't the skinniest 6-3 twig I've ever seen and we'd probably have something.
Quality offensive schemes shouldn't require any WR (especially on our roster) to be targeted 20 times. So basically...Taj has become the new Trishton. What this says to me is that TD comes to the LOS with his mind made up rather than read, react and take what the D gives him.

We all know he has the arm and is fairly accurate. But, as of right now, he doesn't "get it" when it comes to getting the team into the right plays @ LOS and making proper reads after the snap. He is way behind schedule mentally.

I believe this is the one he double clutched, then took the sack. The broadcasters even mentioned that he had the receiver open. Didn't pull the trigger. Just like last year.

Yeah that might be even more of an indictment. It's one thing to not make all of your reads, but to make the read, see the guy there wide open and still not pull the trigger is very troubling.

Remember when Dino took Dungey out and replaced him with Devito against Central Michigan? They came storming back. I was thinking at the time Devito must have something If Dino wants to get him reps so badly. Part of me is worried about Dino and his staffs talent evaluation.

He reminds me of Tyrod Taylor in Buffalo, minus the running ability. Everyone lauded his lack of interceptions, but it was mostly due to the fact that he only threw to guys who were wide open. Never tried to fit it into tight windows. Never threw guys open. Never threw the ball before receivers went into their breaks. Also consistently overthrew deep balls and sideline throws because he was more worried about the negatives of throwing a pick versus the positives of letting his receiver make a play. Tommy does all of this, and it doesn't look likely to change.
Agree. Dino use to say that he wants the wr to make the qb look good. If you do not give them a chance it will never happen.

Big game Saturday. Come on Tommy, get out there and light it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom