Did Coach K's 1&Done Sellout Pay Off | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did Coach K's 1&Done Sellout Pay Off

I was more angry about losing to Michigan in 2013 than OSU in 2012. I thought the basketball gods lined up much better that year. And we got shtty officiating in that game as well. Fouls were 19-11 and that was with CJ and Triche going to the basket for most of the second half. We shot 14 three pointers and they shot 24. Garbage.

Interestingly enough all the advanced stats have 2010, 2012, and 2013 as better than 2003.

I was more angry about losing to Michigan in 2013 than OSU in 2012. I thought the basketball gods lined up much better that year. And we got shtty officiating in that game as well. Fouls were 19-11 and that was with CJ and Triche going to the basket for most of the second half. We shot 14 three pointers and they shot 24. Garbage.

Interestingly enough all the advanced stats have 2010, 2012, and 2013 as better than 2003.
I would bet that would hold true for several teams. Kentucky, Duke, UNC among others, had great teams that got shot down in the NCAA when they were favored to win it all.

I would bet that would hold true for several teams. Kentucky, Duke, UNC among others, had great teams that got shot down in the NCAA when they were favored to win it all.
Yup. Happens to everyone. Look at Kansas until this year. They've had tons of teams get upset early the past decade.

It still stings we didn't get a title from 2010 to 2013. Even the 2011 team was pretty good. And they got hosed by a terrible backcourt call against Scoop.

I don't know why 2013 doesn't bother me as much as it does a lot of other people, but part of it might be that we got so badly outplayed in the first half.

To win a Final Four game, you'd better play well. SU hung tough, made a good comeback, and arguably got boned down the stretch. All of that's frustrating. But if they'd looked like they belonged on the court with Michigan for most of the first half, it could've been a different story.

I don't know why 2013 doesn't bother me as much as it does a lot of other people, but part of it might be that we got so badly outplayed in the first half.

To win a Final Four game, you'd better play well. SU hung tough, made a good comeback, and arguably got boned down the stretch. All of that's frustrating. But if they'd looked like they belonged on the court with Michigan for most of the first half, it could've been a different story.
I guess that’s why it’s frustrating to me. In the OSU game we never were in striking distance. We played behind the entire game. I know the officials played a huge part including a terrible call on a Triche and 1, but that game never got closer than 2-3 possessions in the second half.

I guess that’s why it’s frustrating to me. In the OSU game we never were in striking distance. We played behind the entire game. I know the officials played a huge part including a terrible call on a Triche and 1, but that game never got closer than 2-3 possessions in the second half.

Officiating aside, we shot ourselves in the foot when Sullinger went out for 7 or so minutes in the first half and we didn't extend our lead at all. Might have been a tie game or a two-point lead at the half? It was really game over at that point.

Major culprits, as I recall: Joseph missed an open-court dunk/layup attempt, Dion missed a layup of a fantastic high-post feed from Baye, and of course Triche had the obscene charge call on a made layup.

An eight or nine point lead at the half might have neutralized the officiating mayhem in the second, I don't know.

Officiating aside, we shot ourselves in the foot when Sullinger went out for 7 or so minutes in the first half and we didn't extend our lead at all. Might have been a tie game or a two-point lead at the half? It was really game over at that point.

Major culprits, as I recall: Joseph missed an open-court dunk/layup attempt, Dion missed a layup of a fantastic high-post feed from Baye, and of course Triche had the obscene charge call on a made layup.

An eight or nine point lead at the half might have neutralized the officiating mayhem in the second, I don't know.
Joseph was terrible in that game. What an awful way for him to go out. Not sure if he was injured or what and even when Dion wasn’t in foul trouble he didn’t do anything either.

Even more obscene was them shooting more than 40 free throws to our 17. Talk about a completely imbalanced way for the officials to keep the game artificially close.

The Wisconsin game SU shot 55% from the field and 55% from 3PT land. Even defensively they were great, Wisconsin just made a few really tough shots to keep it close.
Idk about great defense. We couldn’t get stops. Wisc had good ball movement and got plenty of good looks as a result. If we played man Wisc would’ve been run out of the building. Classic example of keeping that game closer than it should’ve been.

That wisc team was built similar to modern clubs. Shooters everywhere. Just something to consider for those who think it’s just a matter of having athletes to play the zone.

Idk about great defense. We couldn’t get stops. Wisc had good ball movement and got plenty of good looks as a result. If we played man Wisc would’ve been run out of the building. Classic example of keeping that game closer than it should’ve been.

That wisc team was built similar to modern clubs. Shooters everywhere. Just something to consider for those who think it’s just a matter of having athletes to play the zone.

I haven't watched that game in a while but I remember Wisconsin making a few tough threes to stay in the game. And they shot 42% from the field so if the 3 wasn't falling, they were out of luck

I haven't watched that game in a while but I remember Wisconsin making a few tough threes to stay in the game. And they shot 42% from the field so if the 3 wasn't falling, they were out of luck
Again, many teams are now built to shoot 3s more effectively than 2s.

There's a finite amount of PT available each season. Between OAD and transferring, how many of them will play a second season for Duke?
It’s just to get the Duke name on the resume. Blech.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember SU making a few runs in the 2nd half that resulted in a one-possession game. Pretty sure we cut the lead to 1 sometime after the 10:00 mark.

There's a finite amount of PT available each season. Between OAD and transferring, how many of them will play a second season for Duke?
Plus Duke is another team that relies on a very short bench. Put these stars against each other in practice - survival of the fittest. I can’t blame players for having the confidence that they will be the ‘winner’ who will play and excel, regardless who they compete against for playing time, but reality like you said, will dictate the actual numbers. I think for some players, parents, handlers etc that just the fact that a Duke wants you is considered a big win - regardless of the result.

You’re underrating that Wisconsin team. They were a top 10 team that year and had 26 wins. The fact we played as well on offense as we did was impressive. They were one of the best defensive teams in the country.
They were a good shooting, cerebral team but our primary concern in the tourney was running into a bruiser or rim protector that would make us feel melo’s absence. Wisconsin, for all their strengths, did not have a big fella that we were scared of. We drove on them all night long. Zone played to their strength made that game closer then it should’ve been.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom