Did Fitzgerald break the law? | Syracusefan.com

Did Fitzgerald break the law?

I saw that about a week and thought he could very well be breaking the law, but I also thought he did it w/o knowing the laws and rules. The players don't need a union, but some common sense from the NCAA and all college presidents and not from the league commissioners. They are the ones who are corrupting the game more than anyone else involved.

But if a email comes out shows that the university told him to say this, then this is a whole brand new ball game on that issue. But don't be surprised if someone who wants to be a Business Agent for this union might want to make it a big deal, then you will see that the University might have to hand over all emails and talks between Fitzgerald and the university.

It's only against the law if he offers a reward for voting a certain way or threatens to punish for voting a certain way. At least that's my understanding.

It's only against the law if he offers a reward for voting a certain way or threatens to punish for voting a certain way. At least that's my understanding.

The president emeritus publicly said that a vote for the union could mean the end of Division I sports at Northwestern. A former quarterback visited the team to encourage players to vote no. Coach Pat Fitzgerald, a former football star who is revered on campus, has framed a vote for the union as a personal betrayal.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage
“Understand that by voting to have a union, you would be transferring your trust from those you know — me, your coaches and the administrators here — to what you don’t know — a third party who may or may not have the team’s best interests in mind,” Fitzgerald wrote to the team in an email

The personal betrayal quote by Fitzgerald is what might get him in trouble, plus the fact they all got new ipods right after the NLRB ruling. Timing could be everything on stuff like this. I am against them forming this union as it really doesn't make sense as they are not real employees, but student athletes.

Last edited:
When I saw the link was from the Nation I knew it would be a slanted piece. I think the process has been fair. Whenever I read the words strenuously or obtuse written I feel its written by elitist. I am not political, but I hate biased writing. I think the right and left in this country have tried to make every in the country way more political than it needs to be.

This crap gets written on the Nation so it being covered by MSNBC can't be far behind. Then FOX will butcher the story from the right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom