Did I hear Sala correctly | Syracusefan.com

Did I hear Sala correctly

texascpa

Living Legend
Sala was interviewed during the scrimmage to discuss the dome changes. He sounded like mentioned that code restricted the change of the upper deck to wider individual seats. Did I hear that correctly?

Sala was interviewed during the scrimmage to discuss the dome changes. He sounded like mentioned that code restricted the change of the upper deck to wider individual seats. Did I hear that correctly?
Yes because of the isles dimensions

Wider than existing or wider than planned and ordered?

They had four of the new blue chairs being installed on the 300 level at Gate C for fans to sit in. They seemed fine with people sitting on both sides but arm rests due to the fact the did not want to reduce capacity even further on the 300 level.

So I don't understand why the size of a chair is dictated by the size of the isle. Just adjust the chair width. Can someone explain?
I'd assume the structure of the terracing is borderline too narrow for modern standards and the wider seats would need to jut back into the aisle behind to support the extra buttressing needed to keep them in place. Plus, the armrests would take away space in the opposite direction.

This is the same logic that the FAA uses for tray tables on take off and landing - they go up so you don't lose time trying to put one up in case of an evacuation.

So I don't understand why the size of a chair is dictated by the size of the isle. Just adjust the chair width. Can someone explain?
its about access. front back top. its code. Look up the code you can google it.

seats will be about an inch to two narrower and the backs will be lower thats the bottom line

seats will be about an inch to two narrower and the backs will be lower thats the bottom line
Just to clarify this...

The seats on the 300 level will be narrower than individual seats on the 100 and 200 level.

The seats on the 300 level will not be narrower than the width currently allocated to seats. I think they will be an inch wider.

The backs will be lower than the individual seats on the 100 and 200 level but everyone will now have back support.

stone-cold-said-so.gif

I am still trying to recall when the survey came out that we requested seats. Cup holders on the other hand.

They are individual seats with chairbacks... so thats an improvement on whats there now
Better question is - are these seats more comfortable than the portable chairbacks that we used to slide on top of the metal bleachers? And if not, can we still use those portable chairbacks?

They had four of the new blue chairs being installed on the 300 level at Gate C for fans to sit in. They seemed fine with people sitting on both sides but arm rests due to the fact the did not want to reduce capacity even further on the 300 level.
Would've been nice if they advertised this.

maybe it's back to the days of bringing in the square cushions for some.

I must have heard hundreds of complaints about having benches in the Dome over the past 44 years ( I wasn’t one of them ). …….. now people are complaining about having individual chairs, you just can’t win with some people …. period

Better question is - are these seats more comfortable than the portable chairbacks that we used to slide on top of the metal bleachers? And if not, can we still use those portable chairbacks?
If you are talking about the little cushioned portable seats that season ticket holders had the option of renting each year, no, of course this will no longer be an option.

Individual seats are individual seats. There is nothing under them. The aluminum benches are getting removed.

Are the plastic individual seats more comfortable? That is s subjective thing.

My perspective:

I sat in the demo seats before a basketball game. They are much like the seats at the Syracuse Mets stadium. Or any MLB stadium.

I prefer sitting on that plastic to those cushy seats you could rent. I got them for hoops not because I loved them but they were more comfortable than hard aluminum and more importantly, they clearly marked the area on the row we sat at as 'our territory'. Not sure if people sometimes snuck an extra person into our row or just that there were a bunch of excessively large people in the row, but there were many games I went to where I was late to sit down after a big play and had a hard time being able to sit down again. For any big game it was always a tight squeeze.

That problem should be gone forever.

My issue with the cushy seats was that they were too cushy. Just didn't like how they would compress unevenly.

So for me, individual plastic seats are a big win.

Lastly, I found myself in mounting discomfort on Saturday watching the spring game. I had sat on aluminum for about 3 hours for the lax game and I had been sitting on it again for more than 2 hours and I was getting pretty miserable. Even thought about leaving the spring game early because my butt was so uncomfortable.

It was the most uncomfortable I have ever been attending a dome event. I will probably go to a lacrosse playoff game or two so this probably wasn't my last time sitting on one of those benches, but I can see with great conviction that I will not miss them when they are gone.

And when I have to go to an away game and sit on aluminum, I can already see me getting all snotty about low brow athletic facilities with awful fan experiences.

I won't miss the benches or those portable seats for one second.

Last edited:
It's depth, not width. People need to get past the seats in a fire situation and the aisle where you put feet/knees is not wide enough perpendicular to the front of the seat with whatever was designed (either the seat back leans too far into that aisle, or the front, or a combo of the two). This feels like a pretty big miss as it's a simple number in the book that you have to adhere to. I assume Sala knew this early on but just didn't want to say it to the public.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom