Dillon starting? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dillon starting?

Everything you just stated is an assumption. Since you are not part of practice you don't know if Tex is ready or not. Dino played Morgan who has the same amout of time as Tex. Do you know how they split time in practice or just assuming?
Actually much of what I said is not an assumption. Contact between players this summer was limited by Covid. We know that both freshman were on the scout team until Devito went down. Dino and other coaches on this board have explained only the 1st and 2nd QBs get practice reps during the season. We know who those guys were. In the past Dino has talked about how even the reps for the 2nd team guy are limited compared to the starter. We know practices were missed in the preseason. This was reported in the media and spoke about at press conferences. Please tell me where my assumptions were.

Here's what is easy to infer from what we know. Before the upperclassman QBs were injured, there was no intent to play either freshman. That decision was made by the coaches that are at practice and placed the freshman on the scout team.

Is your argument really that Dino played Morgan? Playing the 3rd string guy after the 1st and 2nd string guys got hurt is all you have?

Are you the team doctor? I never saw or heard Babers say Servais was injured. Just a lot of message board conjecture by people who have no idea.

Truly if he's so hurt he can't get out of a pass pro stance to block a guy then maybe he should be moved to guard or center. Vet or Tisdale aren't that bad at tackle.

If he's indeed that hurt then I applaud him he's a warrior. But we can't have our QBs taking shots like that.
When does Dino ever say a guy that is still playing is hurt? You know he is as close to thw vest as any coach with regards to player injuries.

Do we know that Rex is not returning? Do we know that he wouldn’t still be #2 next year?
We don't, but the hope is that a complete offseason with a spring practice, normal strength and conditioning, summer drills with teammates, and normal preseason would give the freshman a chance to learn the offense and beat him out.

Last edited:
In the past Dino has talked about how even the reps for the 2nd team guy are limited compared to the starter.
So... while I know this has been said, I have a little bit of a struggle squaring this with what we used to be told about how in this system we practice differently, and much different, and so there's a lot more reps to go around.

While I realize that the statements "only 2 QBs get real practice snaps" and "we practice faster and therefore have more reps" can be mutually exclusive, it sits a little odd that given that we've had to play the backup every season, that we wouldn't be a little better getting a 3rd guy ready.

Are you the team doctor? I never saw or heard Babers say Servais was injured. Just a lot of message board conjecture by people who have no idea.

Truly if he's so hurt he can't get out of a pass pro stance to block a guy then maybe he should be moved to guard or center. Vet or Tisdale aren't that bad at tackle.

If he's indeed that hurt then I applaud him he's a warrior. But we can't have our QBs taking shots like that.

I think TD's dad would have an idea since he has a connect to the team. So go ahead and applaud.

So... while I know this has been said, I have a little bit of a struggle squaring this with what we used to be told about how in this system we practice differently, and much different, and so there's a lot more reps to go around.

While I realize that the statements "only 2 QBs get real practice snaps" and "we practice faster and therefore have more reps" can be mutually exclusive, it sits a little odd that given that we've had to play the backup every season, that we wouldn't be a little better getting a 3rd guy ready.
I would guess the idea with more reps is that the guys expecting to play develop better chemistry and are able to go faster with more reps during practice. You lose that when you start distributing those reps to the players you don't expect to, and hope you don't have to, play. Add in the unique offseason with less practice time with a new OC and those reps were at an even higher premium.

I'm pretty sure we're pretty normal with this.

On top of that. How much can we really evaluate the future with these QB’s? 2021 starter will be a transfer or TD. The true competition is in the off season. There will be much more situational play with 7v7 workouts, team periods that will give you a true feel of their progression. You can only get so much throwing them out there with this O line. All we are going to see is quick game screens slants, outs and fades. We can’t get these QB’s killed. Nc st and ND is just gonna sit on all the short stuff. That’s what Louisville did. That’s why Morgan couldnt find any one open.
So open it up and throw it deep

Stop playing pussyball and take a shot

The seasons lost anyways

I totally agree. Way too vanilla. Take more shots, mis direction and trick plays etc...
I straight up want to see Gilbert on the sideline with a white board drawing up plays we never even practiced, like Coach Klein in The Waterboy. Completely *unpredictable, NC State won't have any idea what hits them.

*It's extremely predictable. It's an end around.

Actually much of what I said is not an assumption. Contact between players this summer was limited by Covid. We know that both freshman were on the scout team until Devito went down. Dino and other coaches on this board have explained only the 1st and 2nd QBs get practice reps during the season. We know who those guys were. In the past Dino has talked about how even the reps for the 2nd team guy are limited compared to the starter. We know practices were missed in the preseason. This was reported in the media and spoke about at press conferences. Please tell me where my assumptions were.

Here's what is easy to infer from what we know. Before the upperclassman QBs were injured, there was no intent to play either freshman. That decision was made by the coaches that are at practice and placed the freshman on the scout team.

Is your argument really that Dino played Morgan? Playing the 3rd string guy after the 1st and 2nd string guys got hurt is all you have?
We will see who Dino plays Saturday then you can either prase or bitch about him.

I have all the same thoughts until I think of the safety of the player. Most fans don’t think of that.

You know, if we're this bad that we are afraid to play players because they might get hurt, I think that's about as bad of an indictment of a coaching staff as you can have.

Somebody better start passing a hat, because we will be UConn if this stuff has to continue for 2 or 3 more years because we can't afford Dino's buy-out.

Last edited:
Why do we need to see them live? What does that accomplish? They've practiced for a whole season but they won't have spring practice? That doesn't make sense.

Live game against another team is completely different than practice. I never played at this level, but I played in HS, and trust me, when the other guy is really trying to hit you, take you down, deliver a big hit, that stuff is REAL. It's a whole different game than practice.

Someone else here has a memory!

You know, if we're this bad that we are afraid to players because they might get hurt, I think that's about as bad of an indictment of a coaching staff as you can have.

Somebody better start passing a hat, because we will be UConn if this stuff has to continue for 2 or 3 more years because we can't afford Dino's buy-out.
Yeah I’m not endorsing the staff as if they are the blueprint of success but I’m not gonna slam them for making decisions that are universally common either. A lot of people's reactions are out of frustration. Fans just want to see wins, progress and hope. They want to see it immediately but it’s not going to happen that way and It’s not unusual to spoon feed a 19 year old freshman in his first real game action. Not sure why people are making it out to be out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
Live game against another team is completely different than practice. I never played at this level, but I played in HS, and trust me, when the other guy is really trying to hit you, take you down, deliver a big hit, that stuff is REAL. It's a whole different game than practice.
He’s speaking from a fan obligation perspective. Don’t think he is saying practice is no different from a game.

But we don't need to see anything. We're not evaluating the players. The coaches are. People on here act as if the fans are making personnel decisions and it's a missed opportunity if the 4th string QB doesn't play.

We will see who Dino plays Saturday then you can either prase or bitch about him.
I'll do neither. I trust he'll do the best he can with what he has. I have not criticised his choice of QB since TD went down.

You know, if we're this bad that we are afraid to players because they might get hurt, I think that's about as bad of an indictment of a coaching staff as you can have.

Such a hysteric

Whether good or bad some of you should prepare for a 2 year stretch with Dino no matter what. If his buyout for next year is $15 million, it stands to reason that it only drops to $10 million going into 22. If you take that $10 million and add a replacement HC and staff that you all would want you are talking another $5 to $6m investment totaling $16 to $17 million. Not sure that happens at Syracuse. So let's hope we see some positive outcomes here for the team next year and in 22. Might as well try to be glass half full folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom